Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
ID Shooter...

"I also would like to see it in a 4 5/8 inch. I suppose a guy could have the barrel shortened while it was in the shop getting the trigger done."

Look at my Flat Top above your post...it is a 4 5/8".... Williams Shooters Supply contracted for 119 4 5/8" guns and 181 6.5" barrel gun... They are getting very hard to find...

bubba....Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...let us know what your daughter picks out...and welcome to The Cult of the .41.....

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have that same gun - the Taurus Tracker. I put a set of Hogue grips on it 'cause I did not like the original ribber grips. Nice package.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Bob,

Yes, I have seen your posts of your flat top 41 before. It is a beautiful piece.

Quick question: Is the grip frame alloy or steel on the flat top?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Steel.....

Bob

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey .41 Tracker guys, do you have any problems with your Tracker cylinder being to short for any of the .41mag heavy loads? I have a Taurus SS Mod 415 ported snubnose that I bought for pocket carry in the mountains. The cylinder is too short for the heavy load ammo that I use in my Ruger. It does take the 250gr Federal CastCore, with no problem.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I highly recommend a .41 caliber! A friend of mine used to carry on in his younger years as a boarder partrolman.

Nowdays with all this new tech on the market the revolver has been back seated somewhat for the high capacity mags in the semi-auto and it does make a difference on the street where car jackings are now made by groups of 3 or 4 people etc. This is where the semi-rules for firepower.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I can shoot 255 grain bullets ( http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=215550 ) from mine without problems. It is a hand full with full power loads.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BUBBAJAY - " think I am going to go the 41 route, to me it will be something that not everyone has and will say "what the hell is a 41 mag?"

Good choice. You won't be sorry. Of course, once you have your .41 Mag. handgun, you'll not be truly satisfied until you have a Marlin 1894S .41 Mag., to match it. wink

I love my combo S&W 57 and Marlin .41 Mag. Great carry out in the boonies. grin

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a Ruger SA 41 Mag and liked it a lot. When my son moved to Alaska, I let him take it. I had some handloads with 260 gr bullets that are awesome bear medicine.

"Not a Gun Free Zone"
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by croldfort
Hey .41 Tracker guys, do you have any problems with your Tracker cylinder being to short for any of the .41mag heavy loads? I have a Taurus SS Mod 415 ported snubnose that I bought for pocket carry in the mountains. The cylinder is too short for the heavy load ammo that I use in my Ruger. It does take the 250gr Federal CastCore, with no problem.

Yes it can be a problem with heavy cast bullets. A "real" Keith 220-230 grain bullet crimped in the standard crimping groove is too long for the cylinder and has to be crimped over the shoulder. Also "long nose" LBT bullets will not fit either.

Cast Performance Bullet Company and now LeadHead Bullet Company makes the 250 grain LBT bullet for Federals CastCore load. Kelly Brost of CPBC told me he tried to get Federal to use his favorite .41 bullet, the 255, but said they were concerned that the crimp to nose length was too long for some cylinders so instead chose the 250 that has much more shank in the case than the 255 does. Also because the bullet nose was right at the end of the cylinder, in the light guns with heavy recoil the bullet could jump the crimp and the nose then tie up the cylinder rotation.

I have three of the Trackers..a stainless 4", a titanium 4" and a titanium 6"...all are great shooters. I also have a couple hundred .41 Special cases just for shooting the LeadHead 230 Keith with 7.0 grains of Unique in the Trackers. It runs just about 1000 fps the same as 8.0 grains of Unique runs in a .41 Magnum cast. If I want a heavy cast I use the 250.

[Linked Image]

6" titanium...left target at 15 yards slow DA the right target fast DA....

[Linked Image]

The same situation exists with the Freedom Arms 97...their cylinder is also shorter than the FA 83, Ruger or S&W guns...

[Linked Image]

Bob

IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Bob,

Thanks for the answer above.

The last photo inspired me to browse the FA web site for a while.

I sure do like the looks of the round butt model 97.

Maybe after the mortgage is paid off.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bubbajay
I think I am going to go the 41 route, to me it will be something that not everyone has and will say "what the hell is a 41 mag?" There is always time to get other calibers right? I think I will take my 3 month old daughter with to help me pick it out, and later on she can have it. I appreciate the feedback from everyone and will let you know how I like it when I get it.

Hello Bubbajay

Better to Slow down a Notch there Partner... if you are going to hand a .41 Magnum down to your daughter I would suggest you locate the One that Hit the scene First in 1964 Being the S&W Model 57. They are built on the-N-frame and will take repeated Magnum Punishment. I have dropped several Deer with mine and it is a Pure Tack driver on Target. They are a Little hard to Locate but once you get one you will Not Regret it. Here is mine a Nickel 4" example which are very hard to locate with the shorter 4" Barrel and in Nickel finish, but don't give up, they are out there and will Only Appreciate in Value over time...Why Not give her the Best to hand down to her Daughter after you are long gone ? Regards, Thegeneral

[Linked Image]

Yeah, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death ,... I Shall Fear no Evil, as I Always have with me Me my Loaded Smith & Wesson "..
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Bob, I sure do like the looks of the round butt model 97.

Nothin' better'n a round butt, I always say... laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I like the .41. I haven't owned one in quite a while. It seemed pretty stupidly simple to load for, throw 21 to 21.5 grains of Win 296 under a 210 grain Hornady XTP in WW brass and light it with Federal 155 primers. In my 2 guns that made holes in paper real close together.

I have fairly small hands, so one thing I do with Blackhawks is "upgrade" them with a Super Blackhawk hammer while I've got 'em apart cleaning up the trigger. The lower hammer spur is easier for me to reach.

Probably the best looking single action I've ever seen is the 5.5" barreled version of the super blackhawk. For my eye, it just works. Balances nicely.

I'd be careful about the 4-5/8" versions of the Blackhawk in .45 Colt. I bought one a while back and found the front sight too short to be able to zero the gun with any bullet, ran out of adjustment. Thought maybe mine had been assembled with the wrong front sight but when I went back to the store, they had 3-4 others just like it all with the same sight height. The 5.5" barreled guns had a lot taller sight. I considered sending mine back to Ruger and have them put the sight off the 5.5" gun on it but decided "[bleep] it" was a better answer and consigned mine.

As far as choosing one for deer ... it doesn't matter, they all work. Load a medium weight JHP fast enough to expand, or a medium SWC from about 1000 fps up, deer will die. Focus on finding accuracy, don't worry about max velocity. All three are way more than adequate.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by frogman43
I think most of the folks here are missing the point.....if you want a .41 mag there's not a thing in the world wrong with it. Very good cartridge actually.

The MAIN thing here is the statement..."my wife wants to buy me one!"

In that case.....you should have her buy you a Freedom Arms model 97 in .41 Mag!!!!! grin

Missing the point entirely!

Does she have a sister?

When your wife say she wants to buy you a gun JUST SAY YES

Wives have a habit of changing their minds.

8mmwapiti

Last edited by 8mmwapiti; 03/08/11.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That Mod 97 round butt is too sweet. I have alwaye thought that happiness would be a SS Ruger GP100 4", with a Bisley hammer and Birds Head grips in the .41mag.

Last edited by croldfort; 03/09/11.
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by croldfort
That Mod 97 round butt is too sweet. I have alwaye thought that happiness would be a SS Ruger GP100 4", with a Bisley hammer and Birds Head grips in the .41mag.

CF...I have this right...a GP100 double action with Bisley hammer and a Birdshead grip....that would be interesting.

Bowen and I think Clements Custom Guns do .41 Special conversions of GP100s...

The "little" FA97 is very small...far smaller than a Blackhawk. I originally was going to shoot just .41 Specials in it but have found for some reason that Magnum brass is more accurate in the gun. In the 35+ years of reloading .41 Magnum I have never had an inaccurate load... 7.0 grains of Unique with a Leadhead 230 Keith in a .41 Special case was my first one... But yet it shot fine in that 4" Taurus Ti Tracker...

If anyone is interested I know where there is a 5.5" FA97 for sale for $1350.00. It is a clone to the 83 above....right down to the black Micarta grips and Mag-Na-Port barrel. It belongs to a friend of a friend who is selling of his collection. This gun is about $2200.00 and has a very low round count. I have fired it and it is excellent. My friend bought the same gun from him but in .32-20/.32 H&R Magnum and has sent the gun back to FA to have a .327 Federal cylinder put on.

Bob

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The old Colt Lightning and Thunderer were double action. I had always thought that the Bisley hammer and Birds Head grips would make a nice .41 carry gun in a double action. Mahap even a 3" barrel.

My 4 5/8" Blackhawk .41mag has a Bisley hammer.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by RJM

The "little" FA97 is very small...far smaller than a Blackhawk. I originally was going to shoot just .41 Specials in it

Bob

Bob,

How does the weight of the '97 compare to the NM Blackhawk.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
M97 4.25" 41Mag = 2.33 lbs

Blackhawk 4.62" 41 Mag = 2.35 lbs

The FA IS smaller, but all steel.

Pete

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 58 invisible), 2,461 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,592
Posts18,492,149
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.