Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by yukonal
Originally Posted by RifleDude
I think the Viper PST is at least as good as the NF.

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh...................................ya, right.

Have you seen them? I have. That's my honest opinion, and I own 2 NF scopes and like them. NF is rugged, has great adjustments, and nice reticle selection. Optically, it's not better than PST; they are pretty much equivalent. NF is definitely more proven mechanically. PST has a better illumination system. PST doesn't have quite the tunnel vision NF shows, and you don't have to rotate the entire eyepiece to change magnification so you can use flip up scope covers. I'm talking about the whole package, feature for feature, comparing what you get for your money.

But, as was stated earlier, availability is tight on the PSTs, although they are available for sale. I had a 1-4X24 PST for a few days due to an order mixup where I was sent the wrong scope, and a couple of my friends have one.

Last edited by RifleDude; 03/09/11.

Ted
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
John, both the USO and NF are great scopes. The USO will have a bit better optics than the NF, and their EREK knob is nice if you plan to do a lot of dope dialing. The NF is more compact and is considerably lighter than the SN3, so might make a better hunting scope.

If I were buying a tactical style scope within your price limit, I think I would get the IOR Valdada 2.5-10X42 tactical w/ illuminated MP8 reticle. Although it's a mil reticle, it has the MOA turrets you wanted. I have their 4-14X50 with the same reticle, and it has fantastic optics.

The Conquest with Rapid Z reticle is a great scope as well. However, the problem with most 1" scopes for long range work is they don't really have enough elevation adjustment. That isn't an issue for your 600 yd limit, but for a serious LR scope, you really need about 100 MOA of travel.

Ted
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Go to opticsthoughts.com, then highend tactical scopes partII, It will answer some of your questions and arguments.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
John,

Out of the couple of scopes you have narrowed it down to, I really believe the NightForce 2.5-10x32 will serve you well for the money!!

NightForce is tough as nails, tracks well, has pretty good glass, and is available with the type of adjustments/reticle you're looking for.

The 2.5-10x32 will also fit nice on a hunting rifle - its fairly compact and does not weigh as much as some of the others scopes mentioned.

Run the NightForce & kill schit!!!

Last edited by 300MAG; 03/10/11.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I believe that is what I'll go with 300. I understand I won't get the glass the S&B Summit has, but it looked to be comparable to the glass on the Conquest, at least at the store looking out of the back door...

I didn't like how small the mil-dot reticle was on this scope, so I looked at the new velocity reticle (1-600 yds) and it was easier on the eyes.

After a little work, I figured out the HV Velocity reticle would almost line up perfect with the current load for this rifle.

Sighted @ 200 I would be:

.220" high @ 300
.335" high @ 400
.366" high @ 500
.314" high @ 600

Ran it thru their ballsistics calc. and mine, although shooting will tell the tale, but it should be real close.

[Linked Image]

JM

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
JM, I've been looking at the 2.5-10x32 NF as well, altho I want MOA/MOA and will go with the NP-R2..Looks like a sweet set up to me for a hunting rig.

I've had a tuff time deciding between that and a leup MK4, with MOA/yard hybrid turrets..

May have to try both, and see what one I like best.

I think most of these guys dont understand you want it on a hunting rig, not a mile LR set up...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
John, just curious- why not a conquest with a z-600 then? you won't be spinning turrets so tracking is a non-issue. Lots less money than the NF.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Amen Rosco. wink

Sako,

I want the option of dialing and a reticle that offers a longer shot format.

I also want the option of being able to dial for windage.

By having both, If I shoot a different load, I won't be hamstrung with a ballistic reticle that doesn't line up and be forced to re-zero at odd yardages, I can just dial it in.

Best,

JM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just want to know where yall are getting good low light performance nightforce sccopes? Because I have yet to own one with that kind of glass. I have a halfdozen or more NXS and love them for the durability/repeatibility, but think the glass is lacking in low light. Not saying the glass is terrible, just not in the same class as some other high end makers. They are very tough, only had to send one back for repairs, ever. I am getting to the point that I only purchase NXS scopes for braked longrange rifles where the toughness and repeatibility is really needed.
I do not own one of the 2.5x10s but have all of the NXS higher magnification variables. That could be why I am less than impressed with the glass. Maybe I am just hung up on low light performance.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe I am just hung up on low light performance.

An absolute must have for me in a hunting scope. 95% of the deer I shoot are at closing time.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by rosco1
I think most of these guys dont understand you want it on a hunting rig, not a mile LR set up...

I think everyone understood that, but he did say he wanted it to serve double duty on steel out to 600 in addition to hunting, and he specified he wanted MOA knobs. Given the two scopes he was considering, it was reasonable to assume he wanted to do a lot of ranging and knob turning, and that maybe he might be considering occasionally airing it out further. Otherwise, why spend the extra $ over the Conquest with Rapid Z? It will fill the medium range, mixed application role very well for quite a bit less money. If you plan to do a lot of knob spinning, it's only natural to discuss those scopes that are mechanically best suited for that role, and once you step up to the NF level, you're only a stone's throw away from stuff that's even better.

The NF will serve you well, and is never a bad choice. I think I would get the Velocity reticle too.

Ted
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
John,

FWIW, we've got a conquest 4.5-14x40 and 3.5-10x40, both with turrets, and think very highly of them. I've never wanted to spend $1500+ on a scope and our conquest reinforce that desire.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've found Conquest to be a bit better than NF in low light as well.

Ted
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Interesting that will all the opinions, nobody has dumped on Schmidt & Bender.
The USMC also seems happy with them. The serious ones are also FFP, so with the proper reticle, knob cranking for holdover is not usually necessary for any reasonable ranges.They are heavy but most folks don't wish to put one on a Kimber Montana.

Yes they are expensive, but when you're sitting in the rest home, drooling on yourself, wearing a diaper and you don't know who you are ..... does it really matter if you're broke ? just sayin'

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
when you're sitting in the rest home, drooling on yourself, wearing a diaper and you don't know who you are

So you know JM pretty well eh? laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
3.5-10x40 Leupold with B&C reticle and after fitted with M1's or CDS in moa with zero stop. Go windage turret too if wanted. All for less money and probably as good optically. Then buy yourself a stock with the money you saved!

Just pulled this out of my arse, but it fits the bill. I wanted to keep this thread going too.

Thank me later. Bahahahaha.........

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
"low light", I've taken game with a damn tasco, that quite frankly was well past legal shooting hours, and here we are questioning if a NF is good enuff?Drives me nuts to hear guys harp on it, and makes me wonder how much some people actually hunt...Its normally jeffo that beats that drum the loudest.

Just sayin

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Better is still better. I've made shots with cheap scopes in low light too, but so what? Scopes with better low light performance still allow you to see greater detail and take further shots in low light. If you're not talking about an increase in money, as is the case here, it's something to consider. What could be the downside to having better low light visibility? The fact is, some scopes have better low light performance than others. That's just one of many factors to consider when buying a scope. Where I live, I can legally hunt all night long for hogs and predators, and I do just that, year round. So, I've seen first-hand which scopes give me an advantage in low light. I own samples from all the scopes mentioned in this thread except USO and Premier, and I can tell you from lots of time spent behind them that to my eyes, NF is not as good as the others in low light.

Ted
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
So is it safe to assume you do not own a 1.5�6 x 42 Schmidt and Bender with a No. 7 FlashDot reticle ? Might prove "eye opening".

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rosco1
"low light", I've taken game with a damn tasco, that quite frankly was well past legal shooting hours, and here we are questioning if a NF is good enuff?Drives me nuts to hear guys harp on it, and makes me wonder how much some people actually hunt...Its normally jeffo that beats that drum the loudest.

Just sayin

Try taking those shots at the end of legal shooting hours in long shaded shooting lanes at extended distance and you will know why NXS is not good enough. I do a lot of deer watching at long range with various scopes, NXS is not even close to the best for longrange shooting in low light. Until dark they cannot be beat as a long range scope, things change when light gets low. I do not shoot deer on my place but watch them almost daily eating at a corn feeder I keep out at 700 yards. If I were inclined to shoot a deer at that feeder I would rely on something other than NXS.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

278 members (303savage, 10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 270cowboy, 31 invisible), 1,218 guests, and 928 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,847
Posts18,517,487
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.