-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Help me out on the pros and cons of these two rifles. I'm looking at getting one in 7-08. They are close enough in price to not be an issue. I would much rather have the cooper custom classic, but price does become an issue there, so will only be looking at the classic.

Accuracy is given on the cooper and maybe/maybe not on the Kimber. I get that. I can live with 3 shots under an inch. Pros/cons of actions, stock design, etc. For the most part this will be a fair weather gun but hopefully see a trip to Africa for plains game as well.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Accuracy = Cooper
Mauser Action = Kimber
Fit and finish = push

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have owned both, including several Cooper Custom Classics.

I think the biggest deciding factor for me would be weight.

I think the Cooper will be much heavier. Probably at least a pound (be wary of Coopers published weights).

The Cooper 3-lug bolt does result in a good deal of effort being required to open the bolt and cock the rifle.

But with the Cooper, you KNOW the accuracy will be there. The resale will be higher too.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I am a kimber fan, but if I was asking the question and had the resources for a cooper, I'd go cooper, especially in 7mm08. I feel the 7mm08 is the least accurate kimber on average.

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The cooper classic and the kimber superamerica are practically the same price, which is what is really making the decision hard. I would much rather have the cooper custom classic, but thats a good $2000 more than the classic.

I would rather have inleyed sling swivels, and can have on the cooper for an extra $190. Everything else seems to be about even, except for known accuracy. I just hate to make the decision based on swivels.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Like whelenaway I own both and he is pretty spot on. I have 3 coopers and 2 on order, own 4 kimbers and will buy an 84l in 270 or 25-06 but will probably get rid of one that I own now. If You want wood You are looking at a half to a pound diff. ergos are great on both. Tough choice good luck and enjoy whichever.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Let's see here!! Hmmm. Ok, Kimber if ya want a tomato stake and Cooper if ya want accuracy & quality. There!!! Made your choice for ya.
Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
i owned only 2 kimbers and never a cooper, although i've handled several, i'd say get the cooper. in my opinion, the cooper is the easy choice.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
Help me out on the pros and cons of these two rifles. I'm looking at getting one in 7-08. They are close enough in price to not be an issue. I would much rather have the cooper custom classic, but price does become an issue there, so will only be looking at the classic.

Are you looking at a model 22 or a model 54 repeater (since you mention a Kimber Super America)

What is the old bromide, (nice version) opinions are like noses, every one has one and most of them smell.

I have owned 6 Kimbers (Yonkers, not K of Oregon). Three classics (270 wsm and 300 wsm(2)) and three Montanas (260 rem, 308 win, 325 wsm). I currently own none.

I currently have nine Coopers in my possession with one more on the way in. Most are single shots in model 21, 22, or 38. I do have one Jackson game in 25-06, in a model 52 repeater.

If you are a blue steel and wood guy, IMO, the classics are about as neat of a walking varminter/stalking rifle as you can find, as long as you don't mind single shots.
[Linked Image]
Model 21 Classic, Tac 20.

If you're looking for a repeater. The Jackson Game rifle is hard to put down
[Linked Image]
Model 52, Jackson Game Rifle, 25-06

Both of these rifles were acquired under $1,200 each, used.

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 03/14/11.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Cooper

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I will be the odd man out on this post,i have owned 6 kimbers,2 84m 4 -8400...all were very accurate,had zero issues and you couldnt run fast enough to "give" me a single shot boltgun of any brand..but thats just me,i dont care if you like them to each there own..all i have ever read on a any forum was how bad kimbers are,how can they all be bad and i got 6 for 6 good ones...LOL..and if they were all bad they would be outta business by now right?
But I have had bad winchester,remington,browning,ruger..LOL

Last edited by Kennesaw; 03/14/11.

Frank Glaser,Alaska Wolfman:"with a lung shot on hoofed game the .220 Swift killed quicker than any other gun I ever owned."That included caribou,moose,wolf,and sheep.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Kennesaw
I will be the odd man out on this post,i have owned 6 kimbers,2 84m 4 -8400...all were very accurate,had zero issues and you couldnt run fast enough to "give" me a single shot boltgun of any brand..but thats just me,i dont care if you like them to each there own..all i have ever read on a any forum was how bad kimbers are,how can they all be bad and i got 6 for 6 good ones...LOL..and if they were all bad they would be outta business by now right?
But I have had bad winchester,remington,browning,ruger..LOL

Never said all were bad. Just don't happen to have any now. If I can pick them up in the $600 range, I'll own more.

I have a love/hate relationship with Kimbers, the ones that shoot. Hate the ones that don't. Only had issues with two of the six I owned. The other four, folks offered me more than I had in them. I only had an emotional attachment with the 260 Rem. However as I had a Sako laminate synthetic model 75 "Varmint" w/set trigger that shoots bugholes, I was able to part with the Kimber.
Best
GWB

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

Fit and finish = push
I had the checkering recut as my Super America left the Kimber factory with the pattern mis-matched at the wrist. Also, the claro had a couple of blems that weren't caught by Kimber's QC.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Have owned and shot both. For a light weight hunting rifle, the Kimber Montana is a masterpiece. IMHO, the Coopers will edge the Kimbers in bench rest accuracy. Coopers are heavier. Both are mightly nice rifles. I guess it just depends on application. I have an early Kimber M-84 in .308 that had a less than stellar barrel. It now wears a 5C SS Broughton and shoots 3/8" groups, much like a Cooper out of the box. I liked the little gun enough to replace the barrel, rather than trade it.

Have owned and shot the rimfire versions of both. My Cooper .22 LR sporter is amazing. The Kimber rimfire was long ago traded. Shot good, just not like the Cooper, which is a keeper. I had a Cooper LVT in .17 HMR that shot very tight groups. I found it a bit heavy for a packing around rifle and traded it for the .257 Wby that I've written about on this Forum. Replaced the .17 HMR LVT with an Anchutz 1717 sporter in .17 HMR. Lighter rifle, shoots just as good, although no better. Coopers will group, no doubt about that.

DF

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I'm looking at a Kimber Super America in .243 if I can get a lead on one.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by DaveyJ
I'm looking at a Kimber Super America in .243 if I can get a lead on one.

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=kimber+superamerica

Might try GunBroker

GWB

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by whitebear
you couldnt run fast enough to "give" me a single shot boltgun of any brand..but thats just me

Cooper builds a few repeaters, too.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I had a Cooper Model 52. It shot fine, but not too different than my Remingtons, Winchesters, or Rugers. I thought it was heavy but I chased elk with it for two years nonetheless. The absolute deal breaker for me was when I found the safety had moved to fire while hiking in the mountains. It took very little to move it, and I know I'm not the only one that has had this happen. I decided that it would be a fine bench rifle, or one that would be worth keeping if you didn't have to hike a lot with it. I was absolutely thrilled to sell it (not an understatement). I would play the Kimber roll of the dice on accuracy issues before I would ever play Russian roulette with another Cooper. I know I'm in the minority on that position, but just wanted to give you a less-mentioned issue. My pre-64 Model 70 FW .308 gets a lot more use now; it shoots just as well, and is a lot more interesting. There are a lot of pre-64's out there in case you want another to consider.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
cooper for me also

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

654 members (160user, 1badf350, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,778 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,237
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.