-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have the option to buy one of these carbines, it's in great shape not a mark on it, shot less than 50 times.

What can you guys tell me about it.

Are clips readily available?

What's the going rate?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It uses the same magazines as a double stack S&W 9mm, like a 5906, etc. It picthes brass about 50 feet away when shooting it. Going rate is $400-500.

ken@the river
GO DUCKS!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I just got one for $325 with four mags I think. Would have been $350 if the buffer wasn't vaporized. Some parts of the country they run a lot higher, but I've just missed three others at around $350 in the last year around here.

If possible it's a good idea to disassemble the gun to see if the buffer is intact, and there is no evidence of internal battering from running without a buffer.

I am new to these but all the reading and asking around I did suggested a good buffer is vital, and many go to a heavier Wolff recoil spring to save wear and tear on the gun.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Any idea how much a new buffer and Wolff spring cost?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
They're not expensive at all.

I got two buffers for $22 from:
http://www.blackjackbuffers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=569

Wolff springs directly from Wolff or probably Brownell's, maybe Midway, etc.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
the marlin buffers go out after a while - even new uninstalled ones when they get to a certain age - just fall apart. same buffer used on the 45 marlin carbine. marlin just got in a bunch of new buffers - all them.

C
C
Just got mine and changed out the spring and buffer before even firing. When I opened it up, the buffer was cracked from the round indent. Needed to pry out the round potion that is wedged in. The plastic buffer was indeed a hard plastic and the new buffer is a softer rubberized piece. Think it will absorb the impact much better.

I have just started reloading for my XDM 9, and I can not wait to see if the loads will work with the Camp

Only Easy Day Was Yesturday
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
The camp carbine was one of those guns that got discontinued and was more popular after it was gone. I loved the .45 version, cannot pick a better compliment to a 1911 since they ran the same mags. Also stick with the factory 15rd mags from SW the aftermarket 20 rounders were not to reliable. Expect about 200fps increase in velocity when shooting factory loads. 124 golddots at 1400fps are right in .357 mag territory.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How difficult is changing out the buffer & spring? I just bought a Marlin Camp 9 on this site. I guess I should inspect the buffer. Is this something I should leave to a gunsmith?

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Regarding recoil spring replacement - I've answered my own question. Replacement is simple. I broke the rifle down into three parts (stock, receiver&barrel,trigger group), removed the bolt and replaced the spring. There are some good, online instructions on disassembly with photos. I used that resource and got it done. The only hang up is after I got it back together, it wouldn't fire. After disaasembling and reassembling 2 more times (I was getting pretty good at it at that stage)I decided to put the magazine in and try it. It fired. Apparently the rifle doesn't fire without the clip in place. blush

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have one that utilizes the 59 series S&W mags. I have a half dozen of the 32 round mags and they run fine in it. It runs the 15 round mags fine too. It has not been picky about mags, but the buffer and Wolff spring info is golden.

A
A
I have had my Camp 9 for about 20 years or so. I used it for plinking and it is a great gun to shoot. Then, after not shooting it for years, I took it out and fired a few clips through it and it cracked the stock. I learned that that is caused by a buffer that has pulverized with age and a recoil spring that is too weak (11#, I think). I ordered a new buffer that is made of space-age plastic instead of nylon and a 21# spring. WOW! is that spring tough!!! I am wondering if I should have ordered the 16# spring.

I intend to take the gun out and shoot it to see if the standard ammo can work that spring.

The trigger assembly popped open when I broke down the gun and the large spring above the trigger flew out. It takes soem gymnastics to put that back together because that spring is SO stiff. I took the old recoil spring and cut off a piece a bit shorter than the trigger spring I could not get back in and was able to reassemble it. I read somewhere that lightening that spring was another popular modification. I guess I will find out how well that works when I shoot it.

Last edited by AlMagec; 03/15/11.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1936M71, 1lessdog, 160user, 222Sako, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 57 invisible), 2,523 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,331
Posts18,487,575
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.