Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
In my continuing quest to find the easiest quickest way to get a bore properly clean I've been experimenting with different methods of cleaning and using a Hawkeye Borescope to examine the results. Unfortunately I don't yet have the camera attachment for the borescope to document each step so my results aren't really scientific or anything but I have noticed a couple things.

My old favorite cleaning method was use Wipe-out and then JB's old trick of a patch covered brush with JB's bore compound.

After doing several rifles I'm not so sure the Wipe-Out step is helping all that much.

With a couple well broken in barrels I've just given the bore a few brush strokes with Kroil to loosen up fouling and a patch to clear it out. And then I've used the JB's patch and brush or something new - VFG pellets and JB's.

Here's a link to Brownells and the VFG Pellets:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=13839/Product/WEAPONS_CARE_SYSTEM_PELLETS

and thier Video:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=13175/guntechdetail/J_B_Non_Embedding_Bore_Cleaning_Compound

So far from what I can tell with the Borescope is that using JB's with the Felt pellets is as fast if not faster than using a patch and a brush. For guys that don't like brushing thier bores too much the felt pellets might be a good answer to try.

The pellets are a little bit of a hassle to screw on the adaptor so I just keep a drill handy put the jag in the drill and screw them on quickly.

I also noticed that you can adjust the size of the pellets enough to use them for more than one caliber. Screw on the pellets extra tight and the 22pellets work for 264's etc.

Eventually I might get the camera and record the difference between how fast a brush vs the pellets cleans is but for right now I'm leaning towards the pellets being a little faster and maybe softer on the bore.

Anyway they might be worth experimenting yourself, I'll be interested to hear what others find out about them. - I'm always open to quicker, better, lazier ways of cleaning! smile ....................................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by djpaintless
. For guys that don't like brushing thier bores too much the felt pellets might be a good answer to try.

smile ....................................DJ

Just askin, wouldn't the JB's be more abrasive than the brush?

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I was using the pellets for years, great way to apply JB. I will admit that once I got the UBC in all of my rifles most of my cleaning supplies just sit there. The only things I really use anymore are the chamber mops and the tool for cleaning the lug recesses.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like I'm going to have to try UBC.........................dj

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Badley
. For guys that don't like brushing thier bores too much the felt pellets might be a good answer to try.

Not necessarily. And the JB's will get copper etc. out that just brushing won't. Some chemicals used to get copper out can etch etc.................................DJ

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I don't use JB Compound any more at all--except on rare occasions to get vast amounts of copper out so I can install UBC.

After UBC has been installed, I just use Montana X-Treme Bore Cleaning Solvent, pushing a couple of soaked patches down the bore and leaving it overnight. The next day I push maybe 3 tight, dry patches down the bore and 9 times out of 10 it's cleaned down to bare metal. On rare occasions, with some barrels, two soakings are required.

Can't remember the last time I brushed a bore, either.

By the way, the name of Ultra Bore Coat has been changed to Dyna-Coat, apparently because the the UBC company joined with Dyna-Coatings. You can still find it under www.ultraborecoat.com, however.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Badley

The way I read your question, Bradley, you may be missing how the Brush is used. I was told to add a clean patch, wrapped tight around a bronze brush then saturated with the JB paste. Use it , not a bare bronze brush, to help carry the lapping compound. I believe that was the only use of a "brush" mentioned above.

Also, I believe a barrel manufacturer who sells "lapped" barrels uses a tight slug of lead, doped with JB or some other lapping compound, to produce high quality lapped barrels.

On that, John and others... I have seen reference to Flitz as an alternative to JB, and it was mentioned it is more aggresive ( grit size) than JB. Any suggestions on the use of Flitz VS JB to clean a barrel for Dyna-Coat applications?

Allen

Last edited by hemiallen; 03/21/11.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was missing what he was saying. Thought he was saying some people dont like to use a brush while cleaning. Not while applying JB's.

Last edited by Badley; 03/21/11.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I believe both are true....
Brushes have a bad reputation if forced different directions down a barrel, and at the muzzle end.

BTW, What is a brush...lol

Jag and patch, plus a nylon loop to verify any blue is from the barrel and not a brass jag, is all I use anymore.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i have always wanted to try the VFG pellets, just might have to break down and buck up for it. on the brush issue though, if i have a brush that can damage my barrel from running it in and out a while, well i'm not going to buy that kind of barrel again. i just don't see it doing any harm, call me stupid, but i just don't see it happening.

Last edited by JimHnSTL; 03/21/11.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
The only things I really use anymore are the chamber mops and the tool for cleaning the lug recesses.

All I ever use, and I don't use UBC.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hemiallen
[quote=Badley]On that, John and others... I have seen reference to Flitz as an alternative to JB, and it was mentioned it is more aggresive ( grit size) than JB. Any suggestions on the use of Flitz VS JB to clean a barrel for Dyna-Coat applications?

Allen

I've been experimenting with Flitz too. It has ammonia in it so it should attack copper in more than one way. Using it back and forth with JB's it seems like Flitz gets some stuff the JB's misses and vice versa. I'm not sure I could say which is better or truly more aggressive. I'd prefer to just use JB's, I'd just as soon avoid ammonia but it does work.

One thing I will say is that the Bore Scope will show you things you don't expect to see. Barrels you think are perfect and clean, aren't.........................DJ

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
I used JB for many years on crudded up barrels that were abused on p. dog towns back in the day were 650-1100 rounds of centerfire per day per person was the norm.

I need to try the ubc.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
i have always wanted to try the VFG pellets, just might have to break down and buck up for it. on the brush issue though, if i have a brush that can damage my barrel from running it in and out a while, well i'm not going to buy that kind of barrel again. i just don't see it doing any harm, call me stupid, but i just don't see it happening.

I agree a bronze brush damaging good steel or sst sounds odd, especially at 0-mph vs a high velocity bronze alloy bullet, but when I read several barrel manufacturers suggesting a bronze bore brush could damage a crown it sounded odd to me BUT I figure there is no logic to them making this claim unless they feel strongly that this is true. After learning there are alternatives to a brush, I see no reason to continue using one. I use chamber bore guides, swivel ended rods and besides the nylon patch holder to remove brass jags from giving a false blue color, I use jags and mild chemicals w/o ammonia. I would put a bore scope to good use, but fail to save enough, long enough, to buy one......

Last edited by hemiallen; 03/21/11.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i have used Flitz in the past for other purposes and in regards to the claims posted that it may be a more agressive abrasive, everything i have found on their site says they use no abrasives, it is done with chemicals. does Flitz make more than one kind of polish by chance? one with abrasives, and one without?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
.... I dont know who said it,but someone once said that more barrels have been damaged by cleaning rods,than any other means.
I tend to believe it.
Wipe-out Patch-out has given me less "rod in barrel time" than any product i've ever used.
Just sayen.....

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I am starting to use one of the commercial " fishing line" pull through patch devices ( from Midway) for my rimfire and 17 rem rifles. I keep a paper towel in hand while pulling them through to remove liquid from the string and reduce dust / dirt accumulations. These are a pretty inexpensive device, and I have read you can make your own with Weedwacker line and a hot match to blob the end to keep the patch in place.

I believe Mr Shilen penned the damage and "break in method" articles.....

I wonder how many muzzles of savage 99's and ruger 10-22's have visible damage to them, but still shoot ok????

Allen

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
i have used Flitz in the past for other purposes and in regards to the claims posted that it may be a more agressive abrasive, everything i have found on their site says they use no abrasives, it is done with chemicals. does Flitz make more than one kind of polish by chance? one with abrasives, and one without?

FWIW here is the MSDS sheet for Flitz which lists it's contents etc.:

http://www.flitz.com/images/document/MSDS_Flitz%20Polish_PASTE.pdf

First on the list of materials is Aluminum Oxide which is that same abrasive used in many types of sandpaper............................DJ

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

First on the list of materials is Aluminum Oxide which is that same abrasive used in many types of sandpaper............................DJ

i here ya and yet here is their summary on how flitz works:

One product, Many uses. Metal, Plastic, Fiberglass, Glass, Corian�...
This is our signature product. The one that launched our company over 30 years ago. A concentrated cream, Flitz Polish is unsurpassed in its ability to Clean, Polish, Deoxidize and Protect. Tough,durable protection; Non-abrasive formula; Non-toxic; Non-flammable;USDA authorized; Protects up to 6 months in fresh water; up to 3 monthsin salt water.

http://www.flitz.com/p-16-flitz-polish-paste.aspx

how can it be non abrasive and yet contain Aluminum Oxide ?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

i here ya and yet here is their summary on how flitz works:

One product, Many uses. Metal, Plastic, Fiberglass, Glass, Corian�...
This is our signature product. The one that launched our company over 30 years ago. A concentrated cream, Flitz Polish is unsurpassed in its ability to Clean, Polish, Deoxidize and Protect. Tough,durable protection; Non-abrasive formula; Non-toxic; Non-flammable;USDA authorized; Protects up to 6 months in fresh water; up to 3 monthsin salt water.

http://www.flitz.com/p-16-flitz-polish-paste.aspx

how can it be non abrasive and yet contain Aluminum Oxide ?

The only thing that I can guess would be that the MSDS sheets are written by the engineers and chemists that created and make the stuff, and the add copy is written by the sales department...................................DJ

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1badf350, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1234, 52 invisible), 2,247 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,107
Posts18,502,216
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.