Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T LEE Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
In the line at the store, the cashier told the older woman that plastic bags weren't good for the environment. The woman apologized to her and explained, "We didn't have the green thing back in my day."

That's right, they didn't have the green thing in her day. Back then, they returned their milk bottles, Coke bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, using the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled. But they didn't have the green thing back her day.

In her day, they walked up stairs, because they didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. They walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time they had to go two blocks. But she's right. They didn't have the green thing in her day.

Back then, they washed the baby's diapers because they didn't have the throw-away kind. They dried clothes on a line, not in an energy gobbling machine burning up 220 volts - wind and solar power really did dry the clothes. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing. But that old lady is right, they didn't have the green thing back in her day.

Back then, they had one TV, or radio, in the house - not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a pizza dish, not a screen the size of the state of Montana. In the kitchen, they blended and stirred by hand because they didn't have electric machines to do everything for you. When they packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, they used wadded up newspaper to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap. But she's right, they didn't have the green thing back then.

Back then, they didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. They used a push mower that ran on human power. They exercised by working so they didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity. But she's right, they didn't have the green thing back then.

They drank from a fountain when they were thirsty, instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time they had a drink of water. They refilled pens with ink, instead of buying a new pen, and they replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull. But they didn't have the green thing back then.

Back then, people took the streetcar and kids rode their bikes to school or rode the school bus, instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service. They had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And they didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 22,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest pizza joint. But that old lady is right. They didn't have the green thing back in her day.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Amen!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ain't that the truth.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
and when we had dandilions in the lawn?
Grandpa made wine!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Dang, I remember most of that stuff "back then."

How about this one--when a kid had a crooked tooth or two, they didn't rush down to the orthodontist and spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on braces. They said, "how about that, his teeth are a little crooked."

How come every kid yoy know these days gets braces at one time or another?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
*snort*

Travel was a luxury, electricity wasn't taken for granted, air conditioning wasn't common, and who'd ever heard of a plastic: I-Pod, cell phone, Blackberry, etc.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That reminded me so much of my Mom,.....and growing up years,

thanks, Terry !

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
That brings back a lot of memories! smile

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't forget the one ring tone and it sounded like a phone!

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Terry,

Excellent reminder of the way things were. And how different, but not better, things are now.

Thanks.

Steve

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm digging around looking for a picture of our old green Push Mower,........

My older bros and I used to time each other for a "run" across the enormous (or so it seemed to me) lawn.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't forget the one ring tone and it sounded like a phone!

Or, different rings because you were on a party line. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When i bought my house there were 2 or 3 ringer boxes in different rooms and 1 phone jack in the kitchen. When the phone rang in the kitchen the ringer boxes upstairs would ring too, but the only phone was down in the kitchen.

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm Guessen all that is true.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
new go green riding mower

Attached Images
mow-cycle-0.jpg (48.43 KB, 52 downloads)

AZCOUES___Border Rat Clan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
very good TLee

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
great post but thats just goin back to the late 60's to mid 70's

AZCOUES___Border Rat Clan
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I must be old! I remember those days well. Milkman used to come every other day. I worked as a carryout in a grocery store in high school and people used to return their empty pop bottles. Same thing with cases of empty beer bottles at the liquor store. We only had paper bags and used to use the empty food boxes for peoples groceries. First thing you asked people in the store was "boxes or bags"? Had to walk or ride my bike over a mile to school until I got a car. Even when it was -20F. Just "bundled up". Still remember some graffiti from the mens room in the basement of that grocery store. Above the urinal someone scrawled "Don't throw butts in the urinal. It makes them soggy and hard to light. Ken F." Ken F. was the store doofus at the time. laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got lucky in that my town was a bit behind the times. We had one phone, no fancy answering machine. You only had to dial the last 4 numbers to call in town. I got hand-me-downs from my older brother. Course I had to eat smoked salmon sandwiches for lunch everyday because we were too poor to buy lunch meat.... But the jars got re-used every year. I rode my bike everywhere because my mom wasn't my personal taxi. Most days she walked to work anyway. When the weather turned bad in the winter I had to take the bus.

Deal with it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's interesting that you senior citizens, don't like the ways of today, but you sure love the devices such as computers, cellphones, and other high-tech items etc.

That along with high-tech medical procedures and medicines that keep the majority of you alive daily. You need to be thankful for a medical scientist/doctor, that had the desire to develope a new drug or procedure, that was above how they did it in the good old days, as you claim.

The majority of you talk the talk, but wouldn't go back to a more physical or lower standard of living. Stop taking your meds, you can go back to those days. You enjoy the push-button lifestyle, that we have in todays times. The past isn't returning, it never has. We have to move forward in technology, science, etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,431 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,154
Posts18,484,287
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.