Hop To
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I hope I can get this to work. Not sure how to make the pics bigger

Pic pic

WAUSAU, Wis. -- This is indeed a fish story � not about the one that got away, but about a rare one.

A white muskellunge is swimming in the waters of Lake Tomahawk, a northern Wisconsin lake in Oneida County. State fisheries experts captured it in nets during a population survey in April and released it back into the lake.

"I've never seen nor heard of an albino muskie, so it's an unusual fish to say the least,'' said John Lyons, a longtime fisheries researcher for the state Department of Natural Resources in Madison.

The nearly 33-inch long, 8-pound muskie had white skin but with a slight greenish tint, said John Kubisiak, a DNR fish biologist who was with the netting crew that handled the fish.

Muskies typically are silver, light green or light brown with dark, vertical bars along their long bodies.

Albino muskieWisconsin Dnr
Cory Painter, an officer with the Madison chapter of Muskies Inc., said Friday the discovery of the white muskie created some buzz among anglers.

"I think it would be pretty cool to catch it,'' said Painter, a 36-year-old angler who's caught about 100 muskies in his fishing ventures.

He'll have to wait for it to grow, though.

Anglers can keep muskies caught in inland Wisconsin lakes only if the fish measures at least 34 inches long. If the albino muskie is female, it could grow to more than 50 inches long and weigh more than 40 pounds, Painter said.

John Kubisiak caught an albino muskie.
"Even if I caught it and it was 50 inches, I would still get a picture and release it back because I would rather have someone else catch it,'' he said.

Lyons said he believes the Oneida County fish is an albino, although it had a small amount of pigment in its eyes and around its head.

"I'm not sure there's an official definition of an albino fish,'' Lyons said. "In nature, there can be a continuum of levels of pigmentation, and I've seen specimens of some species that are intermediate in pigmentation between normal and fully albino with pink eyes.''

The muskie that was netted was close to the fully albino end of the spectrum, he said.

Albinism is rare but occurs normally, particularly in Wisconsin whitetail deer or a squirrels, Lyons said.

Steve AveLallemant, the DNR's northern regional fisheries coordinator, said the white muskie was 3 to 4 years old.

"It was healthy,'' he said. "It might be a freak of nature. I don't know how else to explain it.''

He said no one knows whether other white muskies could be swimming in the 3,600-acre Lake Tomahawk.

"If it was the only one, he was darn lucky to catch it,'' AveLallemant said, referring to Kubisiak's netting crew.

Last edited by NrtWICheezehead; 06/15/05.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for posting, I fish musky mainly in the woodruff, mercer, eagle river area

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am curious as to who wrote this story and why they went to some of those sources for their info.

I suppose I believe it, as the fish came from gin clear Lake Tomahawk. But I would be more that curious to see its coloring had it come from stained water such as the Chip

Do it today. Tomorrow there may be a law against it.
NRA Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've seen pike that come from clear, rocky bottomed lakes look a lot like that musky. I'm not really sure that it is an albino, may just more oddly pigmented than some. There is always a natural variation in pigmentation with pike (never fished musky so I can't comment on them) even within the same lake. Pull one out of the weedy shallows and another out of 25' and they can look a lot different. Thanks for posting the pictures though.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
SS - I've noticed some real variation in the color of the meat as well, both in the actual flesh (different tones of white/yellow) and in the "lateral line color" (technical term) (green along with the normal red). Best, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, I have noticed that too. I've always been curious as to if that has anything to do with the sex of the fish? I always forget to compare when I am ice fishing, since that is the easiest way to tell which are females. I'll have to put a note in my ice-fishing hut...

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I pulled the story from Star Tibune site. The story was on AP, USA Today. If a do a google search, you will find many stories about it. This is no fish story per say.....pun intended!

Plus, there are albino deer, why not muskies?

Here is the link to WI. DNR site that also has it posted.
Wisconsin DNR web page.

Last edited by NrtWICheezehead; 06/22/05.

It's gotta be the CHEEZE.........!
To all thoose tree hugging-bunny& Bambi luvin'- don't eat meat people.............A BOOT TO THE HEAD!!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 1936M71, 67 invisible), 2,772 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,199
Posts18,503,622
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.