Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by free_miner
In your situation, the chassis size and suspension of a HD 3/4 ton of any flavor will take far more stress off towing than the power/torque increase will.

Good Point

Life is just one damned thing after another
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by free_miner
Originally Posted by Tonk
K1500, if your going to be towing over 8,000 pounds and using that truck for lots of miles per week, then go the route of the Diesel. However, if your just towing 5,6 8,000 pounds the Gas Rig will do you just fine.

I go through a lot of newer trucks becasue I buy new, my wife or I drive them for a couple years and then pass them down into my small fleet. Started out around 2002 with 6.0 GM's, switched to 6.0 Powerstrokes, then a couple Cummins', then all the way back to 5.7 hemis and 6.0 GM gassers.

I completely agree with the 8,000 pound cut-off as Tonk says. 6,000 to 8,000 pounds is not really that heavy for a modern gas small block with a 6 speed tranny. When you get right down to it it wasn't that heavy for an old school small block and a 3-speed tranny either.

If the new diesels got significantly better fuel economy like they used to, it would change the economics somewhat but they don't. Cresting a hill 15 mph slower and 30 seconds later than a diesel will may or may not matter to you.

In your situation, the chassis size and suspension of a HD 3/4 ton of any flavor will take far more stress off towing than the power/torque increase will.

Hear, hear.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My brother has a 6.0L 2500 GMC. All he does is complain about the fuel economy. I swear that you can see the fuel gauge needle plummeting. However he doesn't tow often enough to justify a getting a diesel.

Have you considered the new Ford F150 with the Ecoboost? That gas engine has a torque band similar to a diesel. From what you describe, it may be what you need. It gets good mileage too. My salesman is getting 22mpg (imperial gallons) in the city with his lariat, and it is only a month old.

http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/experiencef150/

BTW, my Ecoboost should be arriving in the next 10 days.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
GeeZ! You think I can get that with my V-10?

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Tonk; A fellow I know has a V-10 and he says around town he gets one mile per gallon per cylinder. I don't know what he would get on the highway.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Now with smaller tires on the F-350 Ford, I used to get 14 mpg on hiway with cruise set on 68mph. then I added headers a new air-box and Tornado and it jumpe up to 15.5 on the highway only mind you.

However, I stuck larger tires on the truck and had it set up for towing heavy loads. So it now gets around 12 hiway and 9 around town. If I use this truck it is to haul heavy or tow 8,000 pounds or better.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If you want a Ford get a 06 or later v10. They are 3 valve engines that make much more power than the previous 2v engines. Yes the 3v came out in 05 but there have been some issues I have read about with them so I would look at 06 and later. Also if you go that route, look into a place called 5star tuning. they are all over FTE and are VERY VERY popular over there with the v10 guys. I like the super duty plat form and the solid front axle so this would be my choice, but...

If you want a Chevy, get a 6.0. Also great engines. I don't know about tuning the Chevy though. I had one once and got better fuel mileage out of a 6.0 suburban than I got out of a 5.3 yukon.

“Lighten up Francis”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In addition to the GVWR, MPG, & HP considerations, be honest about your own convictions.

I, for one, would likely cuss my truck for getting poor mileage during the 12,000 to 15,000 miles per year that I didn't tow stuff. It would be easier for me to live with single digit MPG's on the few trips I took, if I got better mileage the rest of the time.

You may be wired differently, though. I'm just suggesting you explore those kinds o' things. Buyer's remorse sucks.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It also might figure into things if your '05 is paid off.

FC

- Mrs. FC
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I would look into a dynatech header, cat and y pipe kit. It is expensive but no where near as much as a vehicle swap. Those kits are very helpful. Also if you look at a custom chip, that will be very helpful. I have read that there is a bunch of power GM takes out of those engines for EPA reasons.

“Lighten up Francis”
IC B3

K1500 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Right now the 2005 has the z71 and HD tow packages and currently has only 50,000 miles. I own the pink slip. I am thinking about perhaps adding a leaf or a helper spring (perhaps an add-a-leaf/torsion key replacement lift). This should get about 2" of lift out of the truck (current stance is kind of low) and add some cushion on the rear axle. The kit is pretty cheap and I can put it in myself.

I know that add-a-leaf and helpers do not technically increase GVWR or GAWR's, but the notion is I wouldn't be quite so squat when I tow. The trailer weight is well within the capability of the truck, it is the total tongue weight that puts the truck at or very close to max GVWR.

Truth be told, the truck did over 5,000 miles, including Yellowstone and Glaicer last year with the trailer in tow. The equalizer hitch and prodigy brake controler all worked great and I never felt anywhere near out of control. I did wish I had a bit more power, but it wasn't that big of a deal.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
For rearend sag you can put on a pair of airbags, and they don't stiffen the ride when you are empty. Mine on my F-250 work great, and are easy to use with the onboard compressor and controls.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by K1500
Right now the 2005 has the z71 and HD tow packages and currently has only 50,000 miles. I own the pink slip. I am thinking about perhaps adding a leaf or a helper spring (perhaps an add-a-leaf/torsion key replacement lift). This should get about 2" of lift out of the truck (current stance is kind of low) and add some cushion on the rear axle. The kit is pretty cheap and I can put it in myself.

I know that add-a-leaf and helpers do not technically increase GVWR or GAWR's, but the notion is I wouldn't be quite so squat when I tow. The trailer weight is well within the capability of the truck, it is the total tongue weight that puts the truck at or very close to max GVWR.

Truth be told, the truck did over 5,000 miles, including Yellowstone and Glaicer last year with the trailer in tow. The equalizer hitch and prodigy brake controler all worked great and I never felt anywhere near out of control. I did wish I had a bit more power, but it wasn't that big of a deal.

It sounds like you could get by well enough with the air bag leveler kit. But it seems that trucks & guns have more than a few things in common, & NO ONE around here would try to tell a guy NOT to buy another gun...

If you went with a 6.0L gasser, you'd certainly have a noticeable improvement in pulling power, & a noticeable decrease in MPG's. I'd suspect you'd also have at least $15K (factoring in the '05 as a trade) leave your pocket for even a late model used one.

The only time I really stressed my � ton Yukon was when I loaded it to the gills, then hitched up a similarly overloaded tandem axle U-Haul trailer, & followed my daughter 600 miles to move her in to grad school. Her loaded-up Corolla got nearly 40 mpg's on that trip, while I got a hair over 8.

The up side is that the rest of the time, I get 15 to 17 MPG. If I had a 3/4 ton Yukon with the 6.0, I could get 9 or 10 MPG all the time.

FC

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i have a 6.0 2500 HD and my mileage has been very fair 12-14 in town and if i run about 65 i can get 20 on the highway, towing i get about 12 on the highway pulling a 18ft camper or a car hauler. My trick was a tall narrow tire to drop my effective gear ratio will still running 4.10's my worst trip involved 2 atv's a jeep about 100 gals of extra fuel, gear for 3 guys and enough beer to supply a frat party for a week, i wish i had the diesel that day

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I just started towing a similar size camper (26 ft/5000 lbs) plus loaded up with wife, 3 kids, with my 07 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L. I normally get 10-12 mpg towing, but this past weekend traveled against a 30mph wind and good bit of hills and was down to around 8 mpg. That being said, the Tundra had plenty of power at least to maintain 65mph or so. It never really struggles to maintain speed, though does have to rev RPMs going up hills. I thought about Diesel, but use a daily driver mostly with limted trip (<5000miles) so in my mind couldn't justify the extra cost.

Lou

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey Micky! Now the way the Ford dealership explained to me was that the 2004 V-10's had 40 less horsepower than the 2006 model V-10 engines. However, the difference in gas mileage is not 1 mile per gallon if that period. I have a 2006 SUPER-DUTY V-10 ENGINE, F-350 4X4 EXT-CAB & 8FT BED.

On a Dyno they can get anywhere from 30 to 50 more horsepower but the torque is not what some claim at FORD. No matter they both pull a bunch in comparison to any other gas rigs and plenty of torque for most loads up to 12,000-lbs. If your going over 10,000-lbs by all means go DIESEL period.

Last edited by Tonk; 04/12/11.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I pull a 20 ft gooseneck stock trailer with a 98 Dodge Cummins.

Tows great, good mileage,even 14mpg pulling.

However right now,diesel is $4/gal and gas is sitting at $3.60 about.For the last 4 years,diesel has consistently run 40-50 cents a gal more than gas.Anything you do to a diesel is more expensive than the gasser

If you are not towing more than 30% of the time, buy the gasser. New gassers are getting considerabley better gas mileage.
If money, mileage, and upkeep are not a concern,buy the diesel

Last edited by saddlesore; 04/17/11.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You say it is paid for so go for aftermarket upgrades to up the performance. Check out Granatelli motorsports. Mass air and upgrade the plug wires. I think super chevy did an upgrade article with all their parts. Serious HP gains at the rear wheels.

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I just bought a new GMC 2500 HD with the 6.0 and 6 speed tranny and it hasn`t had any trouble pulling anything. Plus the mileage is good too. I have the 3:73 gears and empty I am averaging 16 empty and 12.6 towing. I ran the numbers and the diesel just didn`t make sense especially since the new Duramax is only getting 16 or 17 empty and the Powerstroke is about the same

K1500 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the advice guys. Right now I think I will just keep the 1500, but if the wind blows from the west tomorrow, I may change my mind. It is good to hear the new 6.0's are getting better mileage than in the past.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

672 members (12344mag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 65 invisible), 2,389 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,190
Posts18,523,965
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.