Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I am a little interested in one of these in the varmint model, when they first reintroduced this model I didn't think it would be something I would consider but hell I've tried just about everything else, maybe these things will shoot, I also wonder about the durability of this action as I am not familiar with the way it works, I'd like to hear from owners, especially about accuracy..............Thanks Hillbilly.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I didn't buy the Varmint Model but purchased the Sporter with Synthetic Stock in 22 WMR and it shoots ragged holes at 50 yards with the Hornady 30 gr V-Max. As far as the action it locks up like a Bank Vault

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
One hole groups at 50 yds! if they shoot like that I'll have to get one, have you ever had any malfunctions?........Thanks Hillbilly.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
never, ragged holes at 50 yards means the bullet are touching and didn't mean to imply they where all in one little 22 cal hole

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't own a varmint model, but a wood stocked sporter in 22 LR. Love it. Shoots great, locks up tight, feels nice to carry. Would recommend it. Haven't tested beyond 50 yds as that's where I sight in my LR's but it's easily sub 1" there for a mag full when I take my time. Action is fast to work as a straight pull.

Only regret is that the first day I had mine out it slipped off the bag I had it propped on while using another gun and I put a couple of scratches on the wood stock frown

Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't own one, or shot one. But I've handled a few (previous job selling guns). I love the feel, and how the action works. I got one on my NEEDS list. They are nice little guns; never heard anything bad about one.

A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life.

The King of Battle!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One advantage to buying the Synthetic it come with a extra magazine stored in the butt stock and these magazines aren't cheap. Plus it doesn't scratch as easy as the wood stock version.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good points. After tipping over my wood stocked version, I wished I had the synthetic smile I wanted a "nicer" looking .22 and got it but the extra mag is also nice as they are pricey.

Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
VAH,

As you know, I have owned a few hundred( litterally ) rimfire sporters in my life. A few of them were the old Belgian Made T-Bolts but I have yet to try one of the new ones.

Due to the amount of polymer on them(trigger guard, trigger housing) the wood stocked versions have just never appealed to me. It's sort of like putting wood grips on a Glock.

But for the reasons mnetioned above- I DO want a synthetic version of the New T-Bolt. There are three synthetic rimfire sporters I would like to wring out.- the SAKO quad, the new Stainless synthetic Ruger 77/22s and the new Browning T-bolt.

Actually, the T-Bolt may be the best of the lot. It is the lightest in weight-less than 5lbs for the Sporter and only about 5.75 for even the "varmint" weight. It also has more unique features than either of the other rifles- straight pull bolt, tang safety, Double helix rotary magazine and mag trap in the butt). Also, from what I can tell from actual user reports, it shoots about as well over all as the Quads, which is saying something.

I want one.

Last edited by jim62; 03/31/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What made me purchase one was it was offered in Left Hand and 22 WMR

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Local shop is giving these away with the purchase of a ProSteel Safe from Browning.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They probably have the safes overpriced to start with.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That may or may not be true ... but they're the only game in town for such things.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I purchased both of my Safes online and even with the shipping it was much cheaper than buying local.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Jim, Thanks for your input, I know you have owned many many rimfires and if the T Bolt is on your want list it has to be pretty damn good, I think I will buy a synthetic Varmint model, they seem to be very reasonable on gunbroker.........................Hillbilly.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Jim, Thanks for your input, I know you have owned many many rimfires and if the T Bolt is on your want list it has to be pretty damn good, I think I will buy a synthetic Varmint model, they seem to be very reasonable on gunbroker.........................Hillbilly.

VA,

Go over to Rimfire Central. Ask around on the Browning forum if anyone has seriously testted their new Browning T-bolts for accuracy. There are a few guys who have done so, and they report excellent groups.

The cool thing about the new T-Bolt synthetics is that just about everything from the updated straight pull action to the stock styling is a new and fresh twist on proven designs.

I am a conservative Classic rifle guy, but just like a Southgate Weatherby,everything on the New T-Bolt synthetics "fit" in terms of style and design.. It's a well thought out little rifle. If they would make them out of Stainless, they would be even better.

BTW, Browning made a special run of those with Digital camo stocks. There are some deals floating around on Gunbroker with them being priced at $400.

Last edited by jim62; 03/31/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Jim, I saw the digital camo versions in GB and they are at a very good price, I think I will buy one but I am having a hard time deciding between a sporter model or a Varmint model, I will make a little squirrel rig out of it and I don't know if the heavier barrel on the Varmint model will effect the rifles balance, I have handled a wood sporter model and found it extremely light but also very well balanced, if I thought the Varmint would be a little more accurate I would probably choose it even if it didn't balance in My hands quite as well................Thanks hillbilly.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by bea175
never, ragged holes at 50 yards means the bullet are touching and didn't mean to imply they where all in one little 22 cal hole
I understand, it looks like you have a very nice little rig there, Enjoy..............Hillbilly.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I have one of the Synthetic Sporters in the .17HMR.. WOW does it shot. Action is smooth and tight. The extra mag in the butt end is really nice too. Best shot so far <with no wind> was on a crow at measured 184 yards.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Sounds like that .17 HMR of yours is a crows worst nightmare..............Hillbilly.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

677 members (10Glocks, 160user, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 1badf350, 66 invisible), 2,974 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,831
Posts18,517,019
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.