Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#5081053 03/25/11
Strider Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I had completely forgotten about these and stumbled across one 98% or better. The price was fair, so I decided to give it a try. I haven't been loading for the .44, so once I get the makings I'll form a better opinion.

The bore looks nice and smooth, so I think I'll try some cast loads.

The simplicity of the design reminds me of the 99. The stock looks like it should be on a 10-22. It's light, but definately not streamlined. I'm not a small man, so it actually fits pretty good. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's pretty, but I'll admit I like any wood as opposed to plastic, especially on a lever.

I generally do not like scopes on levers, but in this case it looks right at home. I think it would look odd without one.

The color case lever is actually quite attractive. It looks almost out of place on an otherwise utilitarian looking firearm.

It's a curious item.

Has anyone else had experience with one of these?

Thanks.

The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I owned one, about 8 years ago, but eventually tired of it because I REALLY wanted a walnut stocked factory gun. (I was too cheap to spring for a custom stock almost the cost of the gun)

Mine shot pretty well, though - I had a low-powered fixed scope on it, a 2x or 3x IIRC.

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I cannot get passed the birch stocks that Ruger uses on many of their firearms, this one included. I almost sold my mini-14 until I found a factory laminated stock to put on it. Now it looks 100 times better.

ken@the river
GO DUCKS!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a 96-44. It is a good, reliable, lightweight hunting rifle.

μολὼν λαβέ
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I had one years back. Enjoyed shooting it, fairly accurate. But I just didn't warm to it like a Marlin 94.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
[Linked Image]

I sold my Marlin 1894 as soon as these 96 models came out. The faster twist rate stabilizes heavy bullets better.

This buck was taken in Perry County, South Dakota along the river breaks. One 240 grain Hornady XTP bullet through the chest toppled the animal in his tracks. Distance was approx 80 yards or so.

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What is the twist rate for the 96/44? It's discontinued so not on the Ruger website anymore. Also what is the max OAL the magazine will allow?

Looked like a good rifle when it came out but IIRC the magazine was pretty limiting about what bullets you could load.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I sold one a few years ago. First thing I did was put a grind to fit recoil pad on it. I just didn't like the curved smooth plastic butt plate. Probably the handiest, smoothest, fastest cycling lever action I ever owned. And I am a big winchester fan. It wasn't a tack driver, but the first year I took it hunting I shot a small 5 pt. buck at about 75 yards with a red dot scope and hit it right where I aimed, shooting winchester supremes loaded with nosler partitions iirc. I agree, it would have looked alot better with decent piece of walnut.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have its little brother too, 22 mag lever, and they are both great shooters. The stocks are, Rump Ugly, I agree. I called ruger and they said same stock would cost $75 and there were no other stocks. I checked with Midway, Natches, and a whole lot of custom stock makers to no avail. So i took a saw to the butt,
then installed a recoil slip on pad and a bear neoprene butt cover. Helped the looks some. Thyey are both still a smooth action shooter, not safe queens. Just get several magazines and try them for function. Both have 4 power Zeiss scopes I got from Doug here on 24CF. The 44 mag is my woods deer rifle and 22 mag is the bob cat rig. Good shooting and enjoy your 44 mag.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
After I sold mine, THEN I found a fella over on rimfirecentrwl.com, named gatewood, who makes custom walnut stocks for these Ruger leverguns. Figures........

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At the risk of sounding like another poster on this site some may be familiar with - what is the twist and what is the max OAL the magazine will allow?

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Twist is 1:20

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Two years ago in my quest for an ACCURATE .44 magnum rifle I owned and tried a Ruger 96/44,.44 carbine and a 77/44.I just could not get the accuracy results I wanted so they are all gone.I wish you better luck/success than I had.One thing I do remember was that on the 96/44's I had some FTF's with reloads due to OAL.Pretty finicky in that respect.

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have had two of the Ruger lever action's. A 44 Magnum and a 22 Magnum. Why a I bought the second one I will never know?? I am glad some of you guys are getting good accuracy from yours. The two I had shot miserably. And I tried a bunch of different factory ammo for the 22 magnum. And factory as well as a lot of dfferent reloads in the 44 magnum.

I liked both of the rifles. They had a good feel to them. I did not expect much in looks for the price. The rifles both functioned very very well also. I just could not get over how bad they shot. Tom.

West By God Virginia
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have one and the stock is pretty plain but it is wood. Bought mine on a auction with a 1.5 x 4.5 cheap variable and it shoots pretty well. Not pinpoint accuracy but 2" or maybe a little more at 100 yards with the right loads. Haven't shot a deer with it but I'm sure it will knock one on it's rear within 150 yards or so. People try to make the .44 a long range whiz bang which it's not. A 100 yard deer and hog stomper it is. Think I'll keep mine.

"That God could and would, if He were sought."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

627 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 160user, 59 invisible), 3,120 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,486
Posts18,471,881
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.