Print Thread
Hop To
L
lhead71 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I am looking at getting this scope for a long range hunting rig. I am a bit overwhelmed by all of the choices out there, Swaro, Kahles, Zeiss, Minox, Bush elite, Burris diamond, Nikon Monarch X, etc.... I already have an older Leup Varix III and a Bush 4200 elite which I find comparable in quality.

Do you think the Mk 4 is a step up or a step sideways?

What do you think is the best glass for the money trying to pay under $1500.00. I can get the Mk4 for $699.00.

Enough already, just shoot it!
GB1

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Personally I would just get the LP66410 4.5x14x40 LR and send it to Leupold for an M1 elevation turett!

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
My only comments would be that that scope is designed as a tactical scope, not a hunting scope. For instance, because of the side focus/parallax feature, it will have a much shorter depth of focus of the scope's image.
The other thing is that the 4.5-14X40 Leupolds as a rule don't have the generous eye box that most other Leupolds have. If these aren't a concern, then it should work fine. E

L
lhead71 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
So would a VX III 4.5 -14x50 be a better option?

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you can get the Mark IV for that price. I'd jump on that! (not that I know as much as others here for LR)

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Eremicus
My only comments would be that that scope is designed as a tactical scope, not a hunting scope.
I put an old pre-Mk4 Vari X III 3.5-10x (black ring) on an elk rifle because I thought it would be strong due to the "tactical" components. Turns out the tall turrets dug into my back while the rifle was slung over my shoulder. I'm not doing that again!

[Linked Image]

L
lhead71 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Good Point.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I would go for a 3.5-10 over the 4.5-14..the 10x is much more user friendly.

If you want more magnification, I'd skip the 4.5-14 all together, and go 6.5-20.

L
lhead71 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
How is the eyebox on the 6.5, is it better than the 4.5?

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the LR/T 4.5-14 scope but not on a hunting rig. Exposed turrets and an A/O on a hunting rifle is a no go for me.

Terry

IC B3

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have this scope (on an AR now)
http://swfa.com/Leupold-45-14x40-Mark-4-LRT-30mm-Riflescope-P2550.aspx

and don't see any difference in the 3.5-10 MK4 I have in reguards to this eye box thing. My 3.5-10 is longer than the 4.5-14 MK4 and I like the M1 turrets better than the target turrets but they work and won't get bumped by accident.

You couldn't give me a 6.5-20 for a hunting rig.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
If I were to limit mysaelf to a 4.5-14X40 for a big game hunting scope, it would be a VX3, not a Mk.4. Two reasons. One is the much deeper, or longer depth of focus, and the other is the Diamond Coat Coatings.
If the rifle were a small varmit rifle, then I would choose a VX3 with an AO. That would allow me to remove more parallax than I probably could with the non AO model.
As a rule, the adjustments on the Leupold Mk.4's are very tough and very reliable as the tac crowd spins their dials hard and fast and demands absolute repeatability. But with the coming of the VX3, they have the same sort of dual spring adjustments so you now have the same repeatability that you get in the Mk.4's. But you are limited to 15 MOA of back and forth adjustment.
I don't believe the variable Mk.4's are tougher overall than the VX3's, but some of them are impact tested at a much higher standard than most other Leupolds. E

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
If I were to limit mysaelf to a 4.5-14X40 for a big game hunting scope, it would be a VX3, not a Mk.4. Two reasons. One is the much deeper, or longer depth of focus, and the other is the Diamond Coat Coatings.
If the rifle were a small varmit rifle, then I would choose a VX3 with an AO. That would allow me to remove more parallax than I probably could with the non AO model.
As a rule, the adjustments on the Leupold Mk.4's are very tough and very reliable as the tac crowd spins their dials hard and fast and demands absolute repeatability. But with the coming of the VX3, they have the same sort of dual spring adjustments so you now have the same repeatability that you get in the Mk.4's. But you are limited to 15 MOA of back and forth adjustment.
I don't believe the variable Mk.4's are tougher overall than the VX3's, but some of them are impact tested at a much higher standard than most other Leupolds. E

Where did you come up with 15MOA?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

Huh? Mark 4 4.5-14x40 has 100 MOA elevation and windage with 15 moa per turn adjustment. Has extended twilight lens coating. This is probably one of the lightest in weight scopes for the quality of optics available from any manufacturer. Funny thing is, I just purchased this exact scope to put on my 7 Rem Mag hunting rifle....for all of the reasons listed below.

From Leupold's website:
The Xtended Twilight Lens System� optimizes the transmission of low-light wavelengths, so you see the details of low-light scenes in greater, brighter detail than with any other riflescope available.
Side focus parallax adjustment for fast, easy parallax focusing from 75 yards to infinity, from any shooting position.
�-MOA click windage and elevation adjustments with 15-MOA of adjustment for each revolution.
Once sighted in adjustment knobs can be zeroed.
Available with the Mil Dot or Duplex� reticle.
The Mil Dot reticle is ideal in tactical situations, yet also provides greater accuracy of range estimation for hunters and target shooters.
The 30mm maintube offers incredible strength and allows for the greater range of windage and elevation adjustment.
100-MOA each of windage and elevation adjustment.
Flip-open lens covers are standard issue with each Mark 4 LR/T riflescope.
Rugged and absolutely waterproof, LR/T riflescopes can withstand incredible abuse.

Length (A) 12.6 in
Tube Length (B) 5.4 in
(C) 1.8 in
(D) 2.3 in
Eyepiece Length (E) 3.2 in
Objective Length (F) 4.0 in
Objective Diameter (G) 2.0 in
Eyepiece Diameter (H) 1.6 in
Tube Diameter (I) 30 mm
Actual Magnification 14.6 (4.9)
FOV @ 100 yds (ft) 7.3 (18.6)
FOV @ 100 m (m) 2.4 (6.2)
Eye Relief (in) 3.7 (4.4)
Eye Relief (mm) 94 (112)
Obj. Clear Aperture 1.6 in / 41 mm
Weight 16.0 oz / 454 g
Elevation Adj. Range (MOA) 100
Windage Adj. Range (MOA) 100

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
That's one revolution of the adjustment dial. If you go further in the field, you'll have no reference point to return to your original zero. In contrast, the M1 dials have reference points from behind the rifle which allows one to use all of it's adjustment range if desired and still have visual reference point to allow one to return to zero. E

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Exrended Twilight Lense Coatings means the coatings are biased towards the blue spectrum and that the edges of the internal lenses are blackend to reduce the level of scattered light in the scope. While worth having, they don't do much for the scope's performance.
The VX3's however, have both that and the super hard Diamond Coat 2 coatings. That means they withstand very casual "shirtail" cleaning w/o seriously degrading the coatings. A very practical thing to have. E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That means they withstand very casual "shirtail" cleaning w/o seriously degrading the coatings. E

That's so funny that even I'm at a loss for words.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Last I heard, you don't believe there is such a thing as super hard coatings, let alone any need for them. E

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RDFinn
That means they withstand very casual "shirtail" cleaning w/o seriously degrading the coatings. E

That's so funny that even I'm at a loss for words.

Leupold Advertising Guy #1:
We have been informed by management that of the various coatings available from SUCKIE LONG WANG LLC. Our Chinese optical supplier, that managment has picked the most cost effective one and that we,the advertising department,now have to come up with a name for the new coatings.Management wants something new and wants to create a "buzz" around the introduction of our new scope the LPS/VX7....

Leupold Advertising Guy #2:
Well ok.How about IRON COAT.You know,Iron Mike Tyson.Tuff as Iron....

Hay thats good, but but we need to emphasize that the coating is really really tuff stuff....

Ok,how about STEEL COAT.Steel is tuffer that iron hows that?

Hay thats better, but but we need to emphasize that the coating is really really really tuff stuff....

Ok,how about DIAMOND COAT.Diamonds are tuffer that steel hows that?

Yep can't get any harder than diamonds.Thats good.I like it.You know,if we spread this around alot, some dumb sumbitch might actually think that we developed it and that it actually has real diamonds in it........

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Last I heard, you don't believe there is such a thing as super hard coatings, let alone any need for them. E

Never said that at all. I don't believe there is only one company that makes "super hard" coatings as it appears you want everyone to believe. Maybe I'm wrong for thinking that. What I find amusing is your instant belief and gospel preachings with every Leupold press release. Now, what I know for a fact what I've stated in the past regarding lense coatings is, given a choice, I would take weather repellent type coatings over "super hard" coatings such as Rainguard HD, Lotu-Tec, AquaDura etc. Just for the record, I don't really believe that a 4200 is "the world's brightest riflescope" but I feel they are pretty darn good for the price of admission.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

495 members (1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,350 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,132
Posts18,502,651
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.