-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I was wondering how you calculate total case volume? I have read references to this in terms of water?? How can the do-it-yourself'er figure this out themselves?

For anyone who has read my other posting "Headspacing Show & Tell" I am doing some additional fact-finding and wanted to see what the volume increase was on my alleged 9x57 Mauser round factory vs. fireformed seen below.

http://www.runcss.com/MAI/capacity.jpg

Thank you

Last edited by grissins; 04/06/11.

~grissins

"Quis qustodiet ipsos custodes"
(Who will guard the guards?)
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I think you'd weigh an empty case, record the weight, then fill it with water and weigh it again. That's the volume in grains.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep.

I usually do it with a bullet seated to its normal depth, which gives a better idea of useable volume.

1) Weight an empty, fired case with the spent primer.

2) Fill the case with water.

3) Stand the case next to a loaded round, then insert a bullet into the neck of the water-filled case until the bullet is at the same depth as that of the loaded round.

4) Carefully pull out the inserted bullet, wiping any tny drops of water into the case neck. Wipe off the outside of the case and weight it. (Surface tension will keep the water inside the case.

5) The difference between the weight of the empty case and the same case filled with water is the amount of functional powder space.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Or weigh the bullet + case and you don't have to pull the bullet.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
That would sure work, but one problem is that some cases + water + bullet exceed the capacity of many reloading scales. There is also the problem of the sheer weight of the bullet continuing to squeeze water out of the case as it's handled.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
MD Is there a chart of the volumes of various cases

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RinB
MD Is there a chart of the volumes of various cases
Not MD, but here's a web site with a list of capacities of some cases. Helpfully, some sources are provided.

http://kwk.us/cases.html

Apply usual number of grains of salt.

--Bob

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Unfortunately, those are capacities full to the case mouth. Capacities with a bullet seated are much more useful.

Ken Water's published a chart of case capacities to the base of the neck in an old HANDLOADER'S DIGEST, I believe the 8th edition. I used those for a number of years, but finally decided it was more accurate to do the job myself, due to differences in brass and bullets.

John Steinbeck
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
For Quickload, is it more accurate to use usable volume or total volume? Not trying to start a debate about QL, just curious if one is better than the other.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My old LOAD FROM A DISC program gives case volume as both grains of water and something else symbolized as: (in^3), I understand grains of water but not (in^3). For example; they list case capacity of a 300 WSM as 78.656 gr. of water and
(in^3) as 0.312. So which is better? Or if I'm happy with grains of water should I even care about the other spec.?

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Useable volume is better.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Unfortunately, those are capacities full to the case mouth. Capacities with a bullet seated are much more useful.

Unfortunately, capacities with a bullet seated vary with bullet style, chamber throat, and magazine length (ie. seating depth). Since it's fairly straight forward to calculate the displacement of the seated bullet, all internal ballistics programs start with the capacity of the empty case, and the list in question was written for use with a Powley Computer.

Originally Posted by prm
For Quickload, is it more accurate to use usable volume or total volume?

For internal ballistics calculations, one needs the net (useable) case capacity. QuickLoad has a large database of bullet dimensions and will accurately compute the net capacity if you give it the case and cartridge lengths. If you've measured the net case capacity instead, you twiddle the seating depth in the software until you match your net capacity. Both ways give the same result (when the bullet dimensions are correct).

As for grains of water, there are 252.4 gn of water per cubic inch.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1badf350, 160user, 1minute, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 60 invisible), 2,366 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,182
Posts18,503,266
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.