-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You buying crab meat for that, or in the shell?

My Next Husband Will Be Normal- T. Shirt
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MissTreated
Originally Posted by Bob_B257
Slap my Momma!
I almost died when I saw that a can of lump was $20 and so I bought one lump and one claw which was $10. I needed to do a double batch for a work pot luck lunch.

Originally Posted by RobP
2. Each person has to post 1 recipe that is near and dear to them that uses simple, inexpensive, easy to obtain ingredients. If Mannlicher posts something calling for poaching in duck fat, we can cry foul ( or fowl) and he's got to put up something different. Anyone can comment if they can't get the ingredients and the person will have to put up a new recipe. The prep time should be no longer than say, 1 hour. This must be done by a certain date. Say New Year's Day ( or later if you procrastinate).

Rule #2 has been broken! wink

just paves the way for
later recipes. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks delicious, I will have to try something other than the cornflakes, my wife has Celiak.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In checking ingredients of cornflake crumbs, what in it is bothersome? There isn't any wheat or gluten in it to speak of.
Just curious, as I know several people with Celiac disease and cook often for them.

thanks

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
D
I made these for a friends friends mom( she has Celiak)with gluten free corn flake crumbs and she loves them and has no issues with them and its her favorite request when I cooked for her. Also the crab meat is lump meat only no shell

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
First,
is it George? I dont want to get it wrong.
Second, my boss has traveled quite a lot and grew up on long island as a kid and used to blue crab in the summer during the run. He looks for crab cakes when he travels. He told me today at lunch, "Those were the best crab cakes I have ever had. The sauce made it even better." He was not joking around. They were a big hit and worth the effort to get the crab.
That is a very high compliment from a guy who knows a thing or two about crab.
Great recipe!

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I had to bow out of this little soire due to a trip to Japan. Needless, to say that was canceled and I've tried all recipes to date. This will be my next. All have been most excellent btw!

Thanks for doing this Rob.

David

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BYC, would you like to bow back in? We're going to 13 mos. for atvalaska (?) Completely voluntary, but I'll be there until the end! We've had great stuff. Onion Pie, beef tenderloin in salt crust, corn pancakes, and crab cakes... So far, it's all new to me, which is exactly what I was hoping for.

For this recipe, a couple people cried foul for the $$$. Should we make him put up an alternate (insert evil grin)? I've got lots of recipe cards! I figured the tenderloin flew in the beginning, this may as well, but do we want to ask for an alternate or do we have a license for creative substitution. I'm going to get the little blue tupperware container of crab meat down the Sam's club on Friday. I'm going to make them small and spread the love 6 ways so it'll be worth it here. My Mom makes cakes much like these with canned pink salmon. Salmon, hummmm? I wonder where there could be some of that laying around. Salt cod. That would be neat too.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If your corn flakes are sweetened with barley malt (Kelloggs is) there's gluten. We have Bob's Red Mill products in our markets and they have all kinds of gluten free products.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do other brands have the barley? Thanks for the heads up.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
According to the label, there isn't any barley.
http://www2.kelloggs.com/ProductDetail.aspx?id=39

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think it's "malt flavorings". I got the barley malt thing from a celiac nutrition guide website. Kelloggs said, and they quoted nothing they make is basically gluten free except for dairy products... They say rice crispees and the like even contain traces. I cooked for a guy at the American Legion who had celiac disease. He ate about a half dozen potatoes a day and drank white wine and rum. I made him gluten free pasta almost every Friday.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In checking ingredients of cornflake crumbs, what in it is bothersome? There isn't any wheat or gluten in it to speak of.
Just curious, as I know several people with Celiac disease and cook often for them.

thanks

It's to speak off that is the problem. If she gets just a trace of gluten, she get a stomachache, and diarrhea.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

For this recipe, a couple people cried foul for the $$$. Should we make him put up an alternate (insert evil grin)? I've got lots of recipe cards! I figured the tenderloin flew in the beginning, this may as well, but do we want to ask for an alternate or do we have a license for creative substitution. I'm going to get the little blue tupperware container of crab meat down the Sam's club on Friday. I'm going to make them small and spread the love 6 ways so it'll be worth it here. My Mom makes cakes much like these with canned pink salmon. Salmon, hummmm? I wonder where there could be some of that laying around. Salt cod. That would be neat too. [/quote]

I'm not crying foul, I don't have a problem trying this recipe. Going to get the crab this weekend, I say go for it and for the extension. This is a great idea!! smile

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
D
These are the gluten free crumbs I have used...
[Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

B
Campfire Regular
Online Sad
Campfire Regular
B
FYI. If you live near a restaurant that sells crab, ask the mgr / owner if you can purchase some from them for a little over cost. They are purchasing at bulk prices and are a whole lot cheaper than the local grocery store and usually better quality. I purchase a case of lump crab a week (12/1 lb cans) and yes it is expensive but it doesn't compare to Sam's. Even if they don't sell the item they may know a salesman that can get the product for you.

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
$$$$ once a month ain't to bad!...a pak of smoke's size chesse for the onion pie 12.00..beef tenderloin 30.00+ at sams...crab = 32'boat, motor,fuel,gear /crab pots etc..time off work =pricless smile

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rob p
I think it's "malt flavorings". I got the barley malt thing from a celiac nutrition guide website. Kelloggs said, and they quoted nothing they make is basically gluten free except for dairy products... They say rice crispees and the like even contain traces. I cooked for a guy at the American Legion who had celiac disease. He ate about a half dozen potatoes a day and drank white wine and rum. I made him gluten free pasta almost every Friday.

Thanks, I need to know these things. I wonder if a lot of it is in processing that they use the same equipment, like the nut thing.

Originally Posted by whelenman
It's to speak off that is the problem. If she gets just a trace of gluten, she get a stomachache, and diarrhea.

Same with my friend. It's like the worst case of food poisoning on the planet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[quote=rob p]I think it's "malt flavorings". I got the barley malt thing from a celiac nutrition guide website. Kelloggs said, and they quoted nothing they make is basically gluten free except for dairy products... They say rice crispees and the like even contain traces. I cooked for a guy at the American Legion who had celiac disease. He ate about a half dozen potatoes a day and drank white wine and rum. I made him gluten free pasta almost every Friday.

Thanks, I need to know these things. I wonder if a lot of it is in processing that they use the same equipment, like the nut thing.

That's it in a nutshell. no pun intended. Its cross contamination.
denny

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
does it make about 4 hamburger sized patties?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 43 invisible), 2,304 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,395
Posts18,469,994
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.