What Steel;
D-2, A-2 or 154 CM ?

What handle;

Micarta or G-10 ?

MOLON LABE
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
what ever floats your boat....its really mostly about personal preference and what you will use it for.

Andrew
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think Bark River uses A-2 in most of their knives. I like it alright, and I like D-2 and CPM-154 for a stainless. If you like a knife that has any of these steels, you'll be alright. I like micarta a lot, especially paper (because it can be highly polished) and linen. I like canvas micarta too, but to a lesser degree than paper or linen...I just think they look better most of the time. I haven't warmed up to G-10 yet, although I think the orange and blue both look real good.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Maybe I should clarify my questions;

What�s the practical difference between Micarta and G-10 handles ?

What�s the practical difference between A-2 and D-2 blades ?

Going back and forth between the Bravo-1 and Fox River, any comments ?

Also considering a Cold Steel Master Hunter.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Anaconda
Maybe I should clarify my questions;

1. What�s the practical difference between Micarta and G-10 handles ?

2. What�s the practical difference between A-2 and D-2 blades ?

3. Going back and forth between the Bravo-1 and Fox River, any comments ?

4. Also considering a Cold Steel Master Hunter.

1. None.

2. D2 technically has more wear resistance.

3. Get em' both if you like em'.

4. I like the Barkies that you mentioned better.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Micarta has canvas, linen or paper layers in a resin.
G-10 has fiber glass layers in a resin--heavier and stonger.

D2 is near stainless with 10-12% chromium.
A2 only has 3-4% chromium and needs at least a little housekeeping to prevent rusting and pitting. A2 has some other elements that add to its overall value for me. It is a widely used steel for metal stamping die tooling--good enough sales pitch for me.

Actual knife and blade style is mostly a matter of personal preference with an eye towards intended use.
To me the drop point is the most versital with other designs leaning towards some specific application.

The companies you are looking at all make a good product.

JMHO
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Bravo-1 is a bit bigger knife. I prefer it for it's balance. They skeletenize the metal underneath the scales and it makes the Bravo-1 balance right at the front finger when in had. IMHO it's one of the best balanced knives out there. You can get them in either A2 or Stainless. The stainless costs more and is actually slightly heavier. The A2 works darn good, just wipe it off and oil it after use.

Either of the Barkie's you mention is a MUCH better knife than the Cold Steel (I have all three).

Two other knives I think you should also look at are the Bark River Gunny and the Fallkniven F-1. Both are slightly smaller than the Bravo-1 and about the size of the Fox river. I like the blade shape of the Gunny and F-1. The F-1 has pretty much become a classic amongst knife and woodcraft folks, the gunny is almost the same blade shape from Bark River in A2 or CMP-154cm vs the Fallknivens laminated VG-10.

My favorite of the bunch and of just about any knife is the Fallkniven F-1...............................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
djpaintless,
what do you think of the Fallkniven S-1 Forest knife ?

MOLON LABE
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Love my Three Bark River's in orange G-10.
[img:center][Linked Image][/img]
[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

Last edited by Joedjr; 04/09/11.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
djpaintless,
what do you think of the Fallkniven S-1 Forest knife ?

The S-1 is a very good knife but I don't really care for the false edge on top and it's a little longer than I prefer. The F-1 is kinda a "Goldilocks" size for me, not too big not too small, just right.

For comparison's sake here's what IMHO are 5 very good knives:

[Linked Image]

Bark River Canadian
Bark River Bravo-1
Bark River Gunny
Fallkniven F-1
Fallkniven PHK

All have a squared top edge that's better for batoning and is sharp enough to spark a fire steel. I like the sheaths with a slot for a fire steel. All are convex edges which are easy to maintain in the field. Both of those Fallknivens are in the SPG steel which is superb but not cheap. You can get the F-1 in Std VG-10 for 1/2 the price, the PHK only comes in the SPG.
You can get both the Gunny and Bravo-1 in either A2 or CPM-154.

The Std F-1 for just over $100 is subtantially cheaper than any of these and is IMO a real bargain for a top quality and function knife.......................DJ

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
The more I try to narrow it down, the more knifes I "add' to my short list.

Now looking at the Bark River Gunny SS as well.

Any thoughts on Bark Rivers "Sandvik 19C27" SS used in the Gunny SS ?

Fallkniven is on the list, but I don't care for the handle. I have seen some custom models with Bark River handles, but they use the lesser VG-10 steel, and are close to $300.

MOLON LABE
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fallkniven is on the list, but I don't care for the handle. I have seen some custom models with Bark River handles, but they use the lesser VG-10 steel, and are close to $300.

I want an Fjallkniven F1 too, and I do not like the handle much either. However, the blade shape is perfect, and the blade steel is wonderful.

I am thinking about buying the bare blade and adding my own nice thick linen Micarta scales (and buying a sheath too). Price isn't that much less though, but at least I get a great blade and do not have to grind a rubber handle away before replacement!

Fjallkniven is here in Sweden so they may sell bare blades or just a sheath here but not elsewhere, but it might be worth looking into.

[Linked Image]

John

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

IMO there are a couple nice things about the Fallkniven F-1's std handle. One is that it's comparitively flat. It was specifically made flatter so that it would better fit in a Pilot's survival vest. Other things nice about it is that it doesn't get as slippery when wet or covered in blood as some other materials and it's easy to clean with just soap and water. Heres' another comparison pic that might help, it's a couple Mora's, a F-1, Bravo-1 and a K-bar:

[Linked Image]

The knives:

[Linked Image]

The Bravo-1 and the Gunny do feel really nice in the hands comparing them to the F-1 depends on whether or not you prefer the thicker hand filling grip or the narrower flatter carrying grip.

Here's a Gunny SS and a F-1 side by side:

[Linked Image]

Cocobolo Gunny SS and F-1 with optional sheaths:

[Linked Image]

I think that the Gunny's Sandvik stainless will end up performing roughly like the std F-1's VG-10 with the exception being that the laminated VG-10 is probably harder to break if you used both as prybars (which of course you should never do). I haven't yet had a chance to use my SS Gunny in the field much yet. I have used a F-1 more than any other single knife - I keep coming back to it after trying others. So many knives so few deer and Elk tags.

JPB, you can get the F-1 bare blades over here, I may have to try my hand and putting scales on a knife one of these days and that would be my first pic.

And FWIW the Mora Military on the far left and bottom of the 2 pics is an absolute steal of a knife. You can get them from SportsmansGuide for about $15 or so. They take a wicked edge, are easy to sharpen, hold an edge decently, weigh very little and are great extra knives to leave in you survival kit, vehicle, kitchen or whatever. One for $15 2 for $25, less if you're a club member:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=78455

Buy a Barkie or Fallkniven but also pick up one or two of the little Mora's........................DJ

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
djpaintless,

Many thanks for posting the pictures of the handles from different points of view!

I have saved these pictures and will use them to help me buy (or make) a handle like I want.

Basically, I think a nice round handle of a fairly large diameter like that Ka-Bar would make the F-1 Fjallkniven blade perfect for me. I am thinking of buying an F-1 blade then making a set of fairly thick scales for it from canvas Micarta which I would leave quite rough for grip, rather than highly polished. Maybe even orange G-10 if I go "hi-viz". (I'd likely get the Zytel sheath too because they are quite cheap, but I realize that it might not take the fat handle I would end up with.)

I do like the rubbery handle material the F-1 uses (as you note, it does not get slippery), but the flat, small handle is just too small for my paws. I used a friend's F-1 for skinning a moose, and my fingers were cramping up by the time I was done (felt like I was using a tiny metal scalpel handle by the time I was done!).

Finally, if you (or anybody else with the knowledge) would not mind an additional question: would you go for the standard laminated VG10 blade on the F-1, or (at nearly double the price) the F-1 in laminated 3G powder steel? (see Fjallkniven's words HERE.

I have a Fjallkniven U2 pocket knife with "Super Gold Powder Steel" (where do they get these names?) at RC 62 and have not been able to dull it yet on miles of cardboard, nor chip the blade -- thus my interest in the powder steel 3G laminated F-1 blade.
[Linked Image]

John

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by djpaintless
And FWIW the Mora Military on the far left and bottom of the 2 pics is an absolute steal of a knife. You can get them from SportsmansGuide for about $15 or so. They take a wicked edge, are easy to sharpen, hold an edge decently, weigh very little and are great extra knives to leave in you survival kit, vehicle, kitchen or whatever. ..DJ

Absolutely! I have one in my car -- and I have another one I can't find right now, but might be in a hunting or fishing coat pocket!

To give you an idea of the costs, here in Sweden, this model of Mora knife would cost about the same as a meal at MacDonald's smile Heckuva deal (but I find myself still ready to buy an F-1 at 25 times the price! I'm sick... smile

John

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JPB, Over here the only way the blade blanks are available are in the std laminated VG-10, I'm not so sure it isn't the same over there. I have heard of guys removing the Zytel off a 3G model but that's work and the tang is different than the bare blade. I'd just go with the std Laminated VG-10 for at least the first couple.

One thing that Bark River gets right on is the contour of the scales. I think you should emulate it on your F-1 and I'd bet you'll really like it. If you need more pics from any angle just PM me and I'll be glad to try and get you any shot you might need.

I know what you mean about the F-1 costing 25x more than a Mora but if you only have 1 knife with you I think the superior strength of the F-1 is reason enough to justify it's purchase. The F-1 still outperforms knives that cost 3-4 times more, I've tried a bunch and keep coming back to it...............................DJ

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
djpaintless,

Many thanks for the advice. If I decide to make my own handle, the VG10 it will be!

John
PS: this place is bad news for my wallet! smile

Last edited by jpb; 04/12/11. Reason: added PS
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
jpb
You have a PM

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (160user, 12344mag, 117LBS, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 57 invisible), 3,135 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,966
Posts18,499,245
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.