Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 264wm
All said and done its fun yanking the 7mm RM shooters chain. So i'll yank it one more time as the 264WM rains all over your parade.

Don't yank too hard or you might find it's your own tail you're pullin' wink

The 7 RM is the cartridge that knocked the 264's nose in the dirt and relegated it to relative obscurity.....where it remains today, except maybe on Internet sites whistle smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Where I'd get a woody for a 338F would be in a very compact rifle for sneaking around in the jungle trying to shoot stuff at relatively close range. Like my .358. This plays to it's strengths.

Again inferring from .358 experience I think I could get a good 338F perking to at least 400 yds, but it'd be way down the list of cartridges I'd choose for a 400-yd shot. Things get wonky (by definition) out towards the margins of a cartridge's capabilities.

Then again a 7-mag at close range is not ideal either.

Last edited by Jeff_O; 04/17/11.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Jeff: I know two folks personally who have had the grizzly sceario referenced above....I am happy to say I have not BTDT..

..but an old Idaho pal found himself in a disagreement with a grizzly over a cache of sheep meat.She came for him at about 25-30 yards,and a single 130 Bitterroot from a 270 ended that circus.

Bruce_____ from back here took a longish crack at a grizzly up in BC IIRC with a 270,and due to angle, merely grazed the front of the chest.He went to look for the bear(a boar)who popped out of the willows at 35 yards or so.

A 130 gr Nosler Partition ended that one,too.

These were both real, not contrived, situations....

I could care less which of the two (7RM or 338 Federal)I was carrying under those circumstances...placement and good bullets would count for more than any bore size difference...and if I wanted a larger bore under those circumstances, a 338 bore would not be it.I'd have a 375...

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
There is an old saying about people that applies to rifle calibers also and that is.....A good big fighter will always beat a good little fighter.Sure Suger Ray can knock you out but Tyson will knock you out of the ring. grin

The same goes for Rifles cartridges or the big 7 would be legal in Africa but it's not as it ain't got enough oomph compared to the 375 H&H and larger.

Given the Grizzly choice above,the 338 would be my choice with the larger frontal area by .054 and all but exactly the same recoil...338/210 Nosler versus .284/175 Nosler....

I sure don't get why alot of the 7MM fans are so defensive about there choice...Could it be the dreaded little rifle caliber disease? grin grin

Jayco

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by logcutter

I sure don't get why alot of the 7MM fans are so defensive about there choice...Could it be the dreaded little rifle caliber disease? grin grin

Jayco

Nope....some of us just don't care what other people shoot....we know what we can do with what we use....we only get defensive when folks say stupid shidt,or under direct attack.... wink

Folks who firmly beleive in bigger stuff like to regale us with tales of the superiority of fractionally larger bore sizes and more corpulent bullets,and how we are doomed to failure if we aren't using something with a hole in the barrel big enough to fit a sewer rat...blowing on like bagpipes and telling tall tales of elk shot with 7mm's that make it over park boundaries and how a Big Bore saved the day......this makes for good entertainment,but can't be taken seriously. crazy

Mostly, we laugh....and go on killing stuff. Happens several thousand times every year. grin

These silly conversations have been going on for decades....makes me wonder wwhich side really suffers from the syndromes and other disorders(?)

I likely will never get to test the theory on the troublesome grizzly; I have only killed two, so what do I know confused......the folks I know to whom it happened did not have a chance to read the tables at the time to know they were poorly armed....they just shot well with what they had....that tends to work pretty well,mostly. wink smile

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Mostly, we laugh....and go on killing stuff.

That's the way it is supposed to be,Bob instead of the name calling/ temper tantrums and the child like,I am going to put you on ignore for teasing me. grin If 'ya can't stand the heat,stay out of the kitchen.

We all enjoy the same thing and we all have our opinions which sometimes differ..Those sure of themselves and experiences give out facts to back up there opinion...Those not sure of themselves, dish out names and insults far from the subject because they can't back it up or don't have the experience they say they do.

As to the 338 Federal..For most it would make a hell of an Elk round for normal hunting and circumstances.Is it better or worse than any other cartridge, including the 7MM Rem Mag?????

It Depends on whose using it....Sometimes yes and sometimes no.

Jayco

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Where I'd get a woody for a 338F would be in a very compact rifle for sneaking around in the jungle trying to shoot stuff at relatively close range. Like my .358. This plays to it's strengths.

Again inferring from .358 experience I think I could get a good 338F perking to at least 400 yds, but it'd be way down the list of cartridges I'd choose for a 400-yd shot. Things get wonky (by definition) out towards the margins of a cartridge's capabilities.

Then again a 7-mag at close range is not ideal either.

You are right on and my DPMS 338 F is just that 7.9 lbs, 39" long flat top and came with a 4 rnd and 19 rnd mag plus you can use the 308 mag's in it holding as many rounds as you want to pack.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BobinNH

The 7 RM is the cartridge that knocked the 264's nose in the dirt and relegated it to relative obscurity.....where it remains today, except maybe on Internet sites whistle smile

I agree with what Ken Water's wrote in Handloader about the 264 being a fine cartridge, but where Winchester erred was not making it a 7mm. And judging by what happened when Remington released the 7mm RM a few years later, he was right. Not including military rounds, it's got to be (or at least one of) the most popular cartridges released in the last 50 years.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by M1Garand
Originally Posted by BobinNH

I agree with what Ken Water's wrote in Handloader about the 264 being a fine cartridge, but where Winchester erred was not making it a 7mm. And judging by what happened when Remington released the 7mm RM a few years later, he was right. Not including military rounds, it's got to be (or at least one of) the most popular cartridges released in the last 50 years.

Wasn't so much the headstamp or the chosen projectile diameter Remington fielded as it was Winchester's chosen projectile weights and Model 70 barrel lengths that "screwed the pooch" for the .264WM's future.

Regarding the .338Fed, I'd just as soon stick with the .308W.
For multiple reasons.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
wtm 45: IIRC, when the 264 & then 7 RM came out the bullet diameter had more influence BECAUSE there were several MORE bullet weights and better bc & sd in 7mm than 6.5 (264).

Sometimes my memory has dark holes or cobwebbs, or rust but I'm pretty sure on this one.

The 264 has LIGHTER bullets but the 7 HAD & does have more heavy bullets. Back up to the 60s & 70s, we didn't have monos or bonded LIGHT bullets THEREFORE the heavy bullets had more APPEAL and practical applications than LIGHT bullets.

Today the monos or bonded bullets SURELY helps the 264 but the discussion IS about why the 7mm out sold and became more popular.

That's the way I understand it and I'm NOT anti 264 but even today I prefer the 7mm and I have NOT hunted a 7mm in at least 4 years.

Now back to the 338F vs 7RM, IF faced with ANY dangerous game I would PREFER the 338 WINCHESTER MAGNUM or larger cartridge.

JWALL

VEGETARIAN........Indian Word For Poor Hunter

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't know how this degenerated into an argument about the merits of the .338 Federal vs. the 7mm Rem Mag. Those are two pretty different cartridges that excel at different things.

As an elk round, I'd be fine with either. Inside of 100 yards, I'd take the Federale.

Between 100-300 yards, I doubt it matters much. Some people like bigger, heavier bullets and some like velocity. Both would be terrific choices at these ranges.

Between 300-400 yards, both are still more than adequate, but I'd lean more toward the 7mm RM as it takes some of the guesswork out. If I had time with and knew the .338 Federal rifle I was shooting, I'd have absolutely no qualms about popping an elk with it at these ranges, though.

At 400-500 yards, I'd definitely want the 7mm RM. In fact, about 500 yards is as far as I would ever pull the trigger on any game, and even then it would have to be a darn-near perfect set up where I had a spotter with binoculars and wide-open terrain where we both could see the animal for a considerable distance after the shot. The only things I'd want to shoot at such distances would be very flat-shooting, wind-bucking numbers with minimal recoil such as a 6.5x.284 or .264 Win Mag running good 130s or 140s, a .270 Win or Roy or WSM using good 140s or 150s, or a .284 Win,.280 Rem, or 7mm Roy or RM or WSM or SAUM running good 160s.

I'd prefer the .338 Federal to a .308 Win as an elk rifle without question. I'd get the same trajectories as a .308 shooting 165gr bullets but with 200-210gr, .338-cal bullets and roughly the same recoil. Although the ammo availability hugely favors the .308, for elk, I'll take the bigger bullets and greater energy every time.

And the brown bear scenario mentioned before really doesn't have a right answer, IMHO. I was just using it to illustrate that there may be at least some situations where folks might prefer the performance of a .338 Fed to a 7mm RM, because it seemed as if some fine folks were saying that the 7mm mag wins hands-down, every time.

Last edited by seattlesetters; 04/17/11.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

First, Winchester did not promote their 140gr at their factory velocity as having better SD/BC than the 7RM (which it did unless heavier .284 bullets were used which took away some capacity and velocity). They were promoting the 100gr loads, and that was considered marginal for anything bigger than deer/antelope at that time.
Second, Winchester shortened the barrel lengths, 26" should have been the mandatory for all .264WM chambered rifles. Shorten it, and you move into .270W territory with additional blast, recoil and powder consumption.

We are saying pretty much the same things, from different angles.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by seattlesetters
I don't know how this degenerated into an argument about the merits of the .338 Federal vs. the 7mm Rem Mag. Those are two pretty different cartridges that excel at different things.

As an elk round, I'd be fine with either. Inside of 100 yards, I'd take the Federale.

Between 100-300 yards, I doubt it matters much. Some people like bigger, heavier bullets and some like velocity. Both would be terrific choices at these ranges.

Between 300-400 yards, both are still more than adequate, but I'd lean more toward the 7mm RM as it takes some of the guesswork out. If I had time with and knew the .338 Federal rifle I was shooting, I'd have absolutely no qualms about popping an elk with it at these ranges, though.

At 400-500 yards, I'd definitely want the 7mm RM. In fact, about 500 yards is as far as I would ever pull the trigger on any game, and even then it would have to be a darn-near perfect set up where I had a spotter with binoculars and wide-open terrain where we both could see the animal for a considerable distance after the shot. The only things I'd want to shoot at such distances would be very flat-shooting, wind-bucking numbers with minimal recoil such as a 6.5x.284 or .264 Win Mag running good 130s or 140s, a .270 Win or Roy or WSM using good 140s or 150s, or a .284 Win,.280 Rem, or 7mm Roy or RM or WSM or SAUM running good 160s.

I'd prefer the .338 Federal to a .308 Win as an elk rifle without question. I'd get the same trajectories as a .308 shooting 165gr bullets but with 200-210gr, .338-cal bullets and roughly the same recoil. Although the ammo availability hugely favors the .308, for elk, I'll take the bigger bullets and greater energy every time.

And the brown bear scenario mentioned before really doesn't have a right answer, IMHO. I was just using it to illustrate that there may be at least some situations where folks might prefer the performance of a .338 Fed to a 7mm RM, because it seemed as if some fine folks were saying that the 7mm mag wins hands-down, every time.

Biggest advantages of the .338F over the 7RM would be the overall rifle weight can be lower and more rounds on board.

But in regards to on game performance, monometal bullets keep the .308W right there in the same conversation with the .338F.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Pretty much sums it up for me. If you need to go beyond 500yds, give or take, the Fed is not the choice. Inside that it will make things dead, and do so in small package. We could probably add 20+ rounds to the argument but as long as it kills things as far as you can shoot, the rest is just preferences.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Brown bear sow with very young cubs. She's aware of your presence, agitated and 35 yards away.

What's your poison, 7mm RM running 160s at any velocity or .338 Federal running 210s?

Neither. I own and shoot both, but I'd take something like my Ruger .338 RCM over either of these choices, especially when prowling around thick stuff.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Getting bake to the original Q...IMHO the 338F is a great cartridge. I put one together using a Savage model 10 action (I won the rifle in a raffle, so only a $10 investment) and had it rebarrel by ER Shaw with a SS 22" tube. It loves 200 grn Fusions and I have worked a load using LVR powder and 200 BT shoting 0.75" at 100. Next I will be moving to 210 grn Scirocco. It has the inherrent accuracy of the 308 parent cartridge and with more potential thump than you can out of the 308. It will be my primary rifle for Dec bull hunt (thus the Scirocco) with my 7mm STW as a back up or for long shots.

The way I see it the 338F and STW are alot alike, they both have/had a cult following with out Rem or Win carrying the cartridge. I just hope Rem doesn't decide to come out with a 330 Rem to kill the 338F like the 7mm Ultra did to the STW.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
Brown bear sow with very young cubs. She's aware of your presence, agitated and 35 yards away.

What's your poison, 7mm RM running 160s at any velocity or .338 Federal running 210s?

Neither. I own and shoot both, but I'd take something like my Ruger .338 RCM over either of these choices, especially when prowling around thick stuff.

I'd want something different, too. A .404 Jeffery, perhaps.

The premise was an "either/or" question, though, between the .338 Fed and the 7MM RM. I was just trying to illustrate that the 7mm may not be better in all scenarios, that's all.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Blueranger
...and I have worked a load using LVR powder and 200 BT shoting 0.75" at 100.

Any chance to chrono that? I've tried LVR with the 210 Scirocco II, but not any 200s.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
KW: The 338 RCM is NOT one of the choices in the question.

IMO the RCM doesn't offer enough advantage over the Federal to choose AS you did, I pick 338 WM as minimum ALSO not a choice.

JWALL
_________

VEGETARIAN....... Indian Word For Poor Hunter

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
If bullet diameter means nothing then subtract .054 from the 7Mm Rem Mag(.284) and you get a sub .243 Cartridge.So does this mean the 243 Winchester is superior or equal to the mighty 7MM Rem Mag at .284?

Doubt it....

Jayco grin

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 204guy, 12344mag, 219DW, 1Longbow, 70 invisible), 2,441 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,302
Posts18,487,100
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.