Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
And other notibles said about the 338....

Allen Day
I go back with the 338 Win. Mag. Some 27 years now, and I've owned a bunch of rifles in this caliber over that time. I've used it off and on in spurts and I've shot something over 50 big game animals in various states plus one African country with it, animals ranging in size between 100 and 2,000 lbs. This isn't a vast number of animals, but I think I have a pretty fair idea as to what it's good for.

Fundamentally, it'll do all that the 30-06 will do plus much more, and it does clobber stuff harder - that's my experience anyway!

Craig Boddington
As Jack Atcheson said regarding the .338 and elk, "It numbs them." My favorite .33 is the .338 Winchester Magnum. I think it is well-accepted as the archetypical elk cartridge, and equally good for bear, moose and Africa�s largest plains game. Its ballistics are neither fast nor flashy, but it offers a rich selection of bullets, and it hits with authority. My old friend Jack Atcheson Jr. Uses nothing but a battered .338 for almost all of his hunting, and as he puts it, �The .338 numbs them.� Amen.

Holt Bodinson
Accurate and powerful, no other cartridge can match this old favorite for hunting North America's most majestic game.The 338 Winchester Magnum: King Of The Elk Cartridges..

Guns and Shooting Online Staff
The . 338 Win. Mag. Is about as good as it gets for shooting elk.

Jim Carmichel's favorite Elk caliber..338 Win Mag

Bryce Towsely field editer of American Hunter
The .338 Win. Mag. uses a 225-grain bullet with a muzzle velocity of 2800 fps. It is a good balance of power vs. recoil and might well be the perfect elk cartridge.

So who is right here,JB or the others.....Or i could say..who cares. grin

Jayco

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Never seen where JB stated the .338WM will not work.
Sounds like more of his discussions on the .338WM revolve around bullet weight selection.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Brad

C) You are a blooming idiot.

Some things are a constant no matter age...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by logcutter

Allen Day
I go back with the 338 Win. Mag. Some 27 years now, and I've owned a bunch of rifles in this caliber over that time. I've used it off and on in spurts and I've shot something over 50 big game animals in various states plus one African country with it, animals ranging in size between 100 and 2,000 lbs. This isn't a vast number of animals, but I think I have a pretty fair idea as to what it's good for.

Fundamentally, it'll do all that the 30-06 will do plus much more, and it does clobber stuff harder - that's my experience anyway!

Allen was my friend... the older he got, he started moving away from the 338 WM. He mostly used a 300 WM, including taking two cape buffalo with the round.

Were he alive he'd agree with me about you... that much I can tell you about Allen.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by turdcutter
And other notibles said about the 338....

Allen Day

Craig Boddington
As Jack Atcheson said regarding the .338 and elk, "It numbs them." My favorite .33 is the .338 Winchester Magnum. I think it is well-accepted as the archetypical elk cartridge, and equally good for bear, moose and Africa�s largest plains game. Its ballistics are neither fast nor flashy, but it offers a rich selection of bullets, and it hits with authority. My old friend Jack Atcheson Jr. Uses nothing but a battered .338 for almost all of his hunting, and as he puts it, �The .338 numbs them.� Amen.

Holt Bodinson
Accurate and powerful, no other cartridge can match this old favorite for hunting North America's most majestic game.The 338 Winchester Magnum: King Of The Elk Cartridges..

Guns and Shooting Online Staff
The . 338 Win. Mag. Is about as good as it gets for shooting elk.

Jim Carmichel's favorite Elk caliber..338 Win Mag

Bryce Towsely field editer of American Hunter
The .338 Win. Mag. uses a 225-grain bullet with a muzzle velocity of 2800 fps. It is a good balance of power vs. recoil and might well be the perfect elk cartridge.

So who is right here,JB or the others.....Or i could say..who cares. grin

Jayco
Who cares what they say....

What matters what YOUR experience has led you to believe.

I go by what MY experience tells me not by what I READ what others have done.

Sheesh!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Logcutter,

I'm really not sure what your agenda is here. Living in elk country as you do you KNOW that the majority of elk hunters don't use a 338 regardless of how effective it may be.

Now I'm not dissing the 338 at all but living in elk country myself I also KNOW that for every 338 a guy comes across in the mountains there will be half a dozen 7mm's and 06's.

Of course we can't forget the 270's, 280's, and 300's of every flavor.

They all work. Lighten up on trying to get everyone to worship at the 338 altar. Not that it's not a great choice btw grin

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
You think he really would?Just like mule deer(your friend) did on your 200 grain 30-06 overload nonsense....

Brad..You need to think before you speak........ grin

Mule Deer
Personally I don't think 2800 with a 200-grain is out of line with a 24" barreled .30-06.

Jayco

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
KC..I agree but thats not the point.....

My other two sons are coming here for a big concrete job from Oregon so I will have 4 of my 5 boys here for most of the year.I have some things to get done before they get here in an hour or so, so the net is going off..

I totally agree with your post but it really wasn't about that..It was more about bullying by the hierarchy here on the little guy and ofcourse....Several dozen animals down to see if a bullet/caliber works.....

Jayco

Jayco

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You think he really would?Just like mule deer(your friend) did on your 200 grain 30-06 overload nonsense....

Brad..You need to think before you speak........ grin

Mule Deer
Personally I don't think 2800 with a 200-grain is out of line with a 24" barreled .30-06.

Jayco

Nice.

Taking John to task publically on a thread on one hand, then quoting John from a private PM on the other.

You're a real class act.

I disagree with John on that one, but he and he and I have discussed it.

You are a toad...

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Brad

Allen Day

Allen was my friend... the older he got, he started moving away from the 338 WM. He mostly used a 300 WM, including taking two cape buffalo with the round.

Were he alive he'd agree with me about you... that much I can tell you about Allen.

Yep Allen did infact take 2 Cape Buffalo with the 300 Win 1 shot each was all that was required.

Allen also posted that the 300 win had killed for him as well as the 338 and the 375 H&H, but of course those quotes were ignored by the starter of this thread

I still don't see the point of this thread

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
KC..I agree but thats not the point.....

My other two sons are coming here for a big concrete job from Oregon so I will have 4 of my 5 boys here for most of the year.I have some things to get done before they get here in an hour or so, so the net is going off..

I totally agree with your post but it really wasn't about that..It was more about bullying by[/b] the hierarchy here [b]on the little guy and ofcourse....Several dozen animals down to see if a bullet/caliber works.....

Jayco

Jayco

There's a hierarchy here? confused

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

There's a hierarchy here? confused

Only the jealous and insecure seem to think so....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Lol.....oops, I said I wouldnt do that anymore.....dont tell Keith.

+1...hows that?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Tom264

+1...hows that?

Dats good for the post count... wink

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
+1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
laugh

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
+1

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
You guys are numb'em me with your insensitivity of the seriousness of the situation... I'm unofficially, officially ignoring the lot of ya...

Kent

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Me too............

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by krp
You guys are numb'em me with your insensitivity of the seriousness of the situation... I'm unofficially, officially ignoring the lot of ya...

Kent

Spoken like a true member of the hierarchy....

Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,049 guests, and 1,360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,186
Posts18,523,870
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.