Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
A hung-over college kid's french-press that doesn't work right? ;P

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cdhunt
the writer wants to know what it's called, not if you have one.

so what! you the new thread monitor?

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's a frigin grease strainer. Duh!

Sassy

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by .280Rem
Stays on the stove all the time. Nope, not a coffee pot.

[Linked Image]

PINK grease?!?!?!?!? Small wonder I couldn't figure out what it was!!! grin

That grease looks like soft strawberry ice cream on my monitor's screen. What produced that color of grease?

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

[Linked Image]

New one on me...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B2

.280Rem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cdhunt
the writer wants to know what it's called, not if you have one.

It has no formal name. It's a bacon grease thingy. I just wanted to see if any yankees knew what it was...it's purpose, not it's name so much.

War Damn Eagle!

.280Rem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ron_T

[Linked Image]

PINK grease?!?!?!?!? Small wonder I couldn't figure out what it was!!! grin

That grease looks like soft strawberry ice cream on my monitor's screen. What produced that color of grease?

Nothing pink there. Brown and black "crusties" filtered out. The grease inside, which isn't seen, is light brown. Adjust your monitor. smile

War Damn Eagle!

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It does sort of look lke a strawbery smoothie huh?

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd like to know where to get one? I am using a coffee can.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry didn't specify it's use for the bacon grease after being strained. It is for cooking anything you want that uses bacon drippings especially if you want your cholesterol to bounce off the top of the meter laugh I think it was designed by a cardilogist to keep his business booming but of course it makes anything cooked with those drippings taste good!

Oh yes, I do believe it was a Yankee discovery!

Sassy

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I hope Gus is paying attention.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
had a matching set of salt and pepper and a matching bacon grease tin that sat on the stove.

I'm thinking that bacon grease will become rancid if left on the countertop unrefrigerated for extended periods.

Thoughts ????

We keep ours in the refrigerator .

Denny.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter

Next time you are in East Tx. go through Marshall. Marshall Pottery (you being from Tx. surely you've heard of Marshall Pottery laugh ) have "Grease Pots".

http://www.marshallpottery.com/catalog.htm

BP...

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I guess I count as a Yankee, but I knew what it was because I have one. Not only that, my mom and all her people are southerners, so I grew up with my mom and my grandma saving their bacon grease and using it to cook string beans.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by byc
It does sort of look lke a strawbery smoothie huh?
Yeah, it's coming through as pink to me too, but I figured it was something to do with the way the light was hitting it, not that that was the actual color.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
Grease can with strainer

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Sassy
Sorry didn't specify it's use for the bacon grease after being strained. It is for cooking anything you want that uses bacon drippings especially if you want your cholesterol to bounce off the top of the meter laugh I think it was designed by a cardilogist to keep his business booming but of course it makes anything cooked with those drippings taste good!
That's actually old science, Sassy. Current science on the matter is that our blood cholesterol level has little to do with what we eat. Your body manufactures cholesterol, and it does so for several reasons, one important of which is that it allows your skin to synthesize vitamin D from sunlight. Cholesterol is also essential for proper brain function.

"If you deprive cholesterol from the brain, then you directly affect the machinery that triggers the release of neurotransmitters," said Shin. "Neurotransmitters affect the data-processing and memory functions. In other words -- how smart you are and how well you remember things." -Source

Blood cholesterol levels and ratios only contribute to heart disease in combination with a diet that's unnatural for human beings, i.e., one high in starchy foods, such as is common in modern human society. This diet causes spikes in blood sugar followed by spikes in insulin, which has the effect of causing abrasion to the interior arterial walls. The body responds to these abrasions with cholesterol plaques, which are designed to be a temporary patch (like a scab on your skin) wherein, once healed, the plaque dislodges (like a scab) and is harmlessly carried away and dissolved. However, in the presence of the modern high starch diet, the abrasions never get a chance to heal, and the plaque just keeps building up to the point of causing a narrowing of the blood vessels, and eventually a heart attack. The solution isn't to eliminate the cholesterol (which is essential for good health), but to stop eating the toxic modern diet and start eating only foods we were designed to safely metabolize, e.g., meats (best rare, if safe) along with their natural fats, non-starchy vegetables, fruits, berries, nuts, eggs, good raw vegetable oils, raw whole milk, cheese, etc. A good rule of thumb in this regard is that if you wouldn't eat it raw (e.g., rice, beans, flour, potatoes), you shouldn't eat it cooked either, or at least not in substantial quantities.

Grains and beans, and grain and bean products, should be avoided or minimized. Grains in certain forms and quanties are less harmful than in other forms and quantities. Refined grains in high quantity are the worst, represented by, for example, a bagel or a slice of white bread. Pasta cooked al dente and served in an oily vegetable sauce, for example, is not nearly as harmful due to the fact that in this form it's metabolized more gradually, causing less spiking of blood sugar and insulin levels, and thus less abrasion to the interior arterial walls.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
had a matching set of salt and pepper and a matching bacon grease tin that sat on the stove.

I'm thinking that bacon grease will become rancid if left on the countertop unrefrigerated for extended periods.

Thoughts ????

Denny.
I keep it in the fridge, too, but animal fat is highly resistant to rancidity at room temperature, and can be safely reused many times.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
So y'all are seeing it as "pink" too, eh?

(WHEW!!! jus' hate to have to "adjust" thingies on my computer). grin grin grin

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

.280Rem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by 284LUVR

Thoughts ????

Denny.
I keep it in the fridge, too, but animal fat is highly resistant to rancidity at room temperature, and can be safely reused many times.

Yep...my mom, both grandmothers, great-grandmother...all kept it sitting on the stove. I've never refrigerated it. I don't leave it open for bugs to drown in though.

Always have a stick of butter out on the counter in a covered butter dish so that it's soft and spreadable.

War Damn Eagle!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 61 invisible), 2,472 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,592
Posts18,492,149
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.