Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Steve
Thank you for the fine writing. ANd for starting this thread.

I'd have to say its the best read I've read here in a while.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Steve:

If you grew up in the Bitterroot, you are one lucky man.

Jordan

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Steve, that pretty well sums up how I feel about taking animals. I fully realize that they are alive, and have a presence in nature.
Killing an animal, and using it demands that I not only respect the animal, but give thanks for it.
Killing just to kill, is an anathema to me.

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

All,

I'm getting a bit long in a writing about my Grandpa Hank. The context of the writings is short, concise and meaningful.

I have what I think of an an "artifact" that I can easily excise from the already too-long Grandpa Hank thingie.

Believe it or not, I cry whenever I read this short piece. I am waaay too close to this schit!!

My question is this: Does this little piece on Belle stand alone???

XXXXX

BELLE

Grandpa Hank�s favorite hound was named Belle.

It was the mid-1920s and Hank was a bachelor. Hank had lots of hounds, of course, but Belle was special. When it came to running lions and bears in the Sawtooth Mountains, the two were a team.

One day, Belle went missing while after a big tom cougar. Hank eventually walked down the lion and killed it with his .30 Remington, but Belle was not there ... she was either killed, got diverted by another lion scent trail or fell over a cliff.

Hank and the rest of his hounds spent the next two weeks in the mountains, just searching for Bell. They never found any trace of that wonderful and loyal hound.

Years later, I remember standing in the back yard of our farm as night closed in. When God spread sapphire-blue ink across the sky and the first stars showed, we often stood in wonder. The land became quiet and the wind died down.

It was then that Hank swore he could hear Belle baying. She was still after lions, she had a big one up a tree and was waiting for Hank to come help her out.

Hank blamed himself for failing his beloved hound.

After a while, we'd walk into the light of our covered back porch and there would be twin wet tracks down his wrinkled cheeks. Dang, Hank loved that dog.

Of course, it was impossible for Belle to still be alive thirty years after she disappeared in the mountains. Still, Hank heard her baying almost every evening ��

and I did, too.

by Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Steve

Thanks for sharing

Neal
NRA Endowment Life Member.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Does this little piece on Belle stand alone???

Yep, about a 1000+ pages worth,........... for ol' hound dog hunters!

wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Belle's story is an excellent stand-alone piece. Thanks for sharing it.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by slopshot
Does this little piece on Belle stand alone???

Yep, about a 1000+ pages worth,........... for ol' hound dog hunters!

wink

Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
Belle's story is an excellent stand-alone piece. Thanks for sharing it.

Thanks guys.

The little piece is precisely one page, which is perfect for my personal portfolio.

I use Comic Sans font, which is my favorite. Then size-16 for the title and size-14 for the text. I adjust the total lenght of the piece by changint the size between the paragraphs ... in this case, it was slightly long, so I used size-8 space. It worked out wonderfully.

Again, many thanks.

Steve

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stands alone and easily so. Thanks for the read.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Outstanding, tearfully so.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Any of us that have shared in the life of a dog or two during our life can easily relate to Grandpa Hank. Thanks for sharing, Steve. I always have liked your style and subject matter.

Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.
John 8:32

A lie doesn't become truth; wrong doesn't become right; evil doesn't become good, just because it's accepted by the majority...Rick Warren

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Dave93
Outstanding, tearfully so.

Yeah, I have the same problem. It ISN'T alergies or pollen or any of that crap.

In writing, rewriting and re-rewriting Belle and trying to get it just perfect, I've read it over a hundred times.

I freely admit that it's made me cry every time.

Of course, I was there, and maybe that makes a little difference.

Seeing that great man, my gentle/tough man, my Grandpa Hank watch the darkening sky ... "in the back yard of our farm as night closed in. When God spread sapphire-blue ink across the sky and the first stars showed, we often stood in wonder. The land became quiet and the wind died down." (Damn, I love that paragraph}

and watching Hank cup his ear and he could actually hear Belle baying. I know he could.

and to see his face that was wrinkled by age and thousands of days out in the Montana sun, with two wet streaks. Makes me cry. Seriously.

Ain't it great that WE are gentle/tough too???

Steve

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Steve,

You can't keep sliding in your writings into the same postings. I damn near missed your latest, and I would have been the poorer for having missed it.

Just sayin'.

And thanks for giving us Belle.

Steve

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

No prob, Steve,

I'm trying to decide if the 24HCF is the venue for something about Hank. The Germans pizzed him off by killing some of the Doughboys he was racing off the killing field in his ambulance. So, eventually he and his partner painted a big black X on their Red Cross and stole some Lewis machine guns and boo-coo ammo from the British Flying Service.

Prolly wouldn't win a Nobel Peace Prize, that's for azzholes like Obammy and that azzwipe Jimmy Carter, but the two market hunters didn't miss many Jerrys and they saved a lot of American lives.

Hank called their anbulance The War Wagon. Imagine two Lewis Guns, and probably three, blazing out the windows and out the back, racing your great-grandfather back to safety. Makes sense to me.

The piece will also have some puntgun action. Market hunting for swans and geese on the Missoui.

http://www.neatorama.com/2011/04/15/punt-guns/

Anyway, I'm working on it. We'll see how it goes; may share, may keep it personal.

I can tell you this, my buddy Chub Eastman is gonna get a wonderful Christmas present this year. A leather-bound copy of all I've been writing, wonderful full of heart and soul stuff that will never be published. And all printed on that fabulous 67-pound bond. He's gonna CRAP, CRAP, CRAP!!!

I don't know; maybe it isn't that good, but it's more from my heart than I've ever been able to write or publish.

Steve

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Great writing, Steve. Funny, your description of Spotty reminds me of my girls' Aussie/Border Collie cross. Like Spotty, she is pretty much always smiling with an even bigger smile when petted.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
+1000

smile

Exceedingly well written stories. Thanks for sharing them.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Steve,

Stands alone, tall and proud. Thanks for sharing some of you. I never tire of reading pieces of Steve.

Rick

Black Olives Matter!!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by dogzapper

Ain't it great that WE are gentle/tough too???

Yes it is, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by dogzapper

The writing I'm doing right now is just for Karen and me ... and for a few beloved friends.

I thought it would be cool to have something pretty special for OUR COPY, so I went shopping. I found a quite extra-ordinary leather portfolio at a local high quality stationers. And I found some gorgeous 67-pound rag bond paper (that is HEAVY and wonderful paper). Expensive ... but the stories are quite precious to us.

The heavy bond printed up fabulously.

The line art that is on the cover is an original pen-and-ink that accompanied one of my published articles.

I'm delighted with the results. And any visitors to our home and Dead Petting Zoo are welcome to open the portfolio, which is now proudly displayed in our home, and to read it.

The photos below show how the portfolio turned out.

Blessings,

Steve

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

PS. Currently, I'm working on six more pieces, all destined to be in the "Treasured Friends Portfolio." Actually, I started another after returning home from Vigil Holy Mass this evening, so make that SEVEN.

And Karen is still trying desperately to get me to privately publish ... and donate every single penny to "Our Kids." By the way, we contributed so much to Our Kids the last two years that our decuctions exceeded our income. And that is exactly the way we want it.

May God Bless All of You.

ST

My friend, Steve;

PM sent... wink

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1minute, 1234, 222Sako, 007FJ, 58 invisible), 2,082 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,778
Posts18,495,890
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.