Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by WinModel70
1.5-6x42 Zeiss Victory Diavari would be my choice if I could afford it.

+1

Ted
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I shot a deer last Fall right about before dark.
420 yards away and I shot the wrong buck. You could see horns through the VX3 6x42 but couldn't distinguish otherwise like you could 15 minutes earlier.
I'm not knocking the scope but would really like to test out a S&B just to see if they are that much better/brighter.

Shapnel, you should loan me yours for a few months....grin

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You are one of the few I would actually do that for...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Shrapnel. Problem is I probably wouldn't want to give it back...grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Originally Posted by LIV2HUNT
Zeiss Victory 2.5-10X42

Best I have ever hunted bar none!!

Yup.

Would the Victory give you a shot that a 3-9x40 Conquest wouldn't, do you think?

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The thimg I've noticed about scopes and glass is that the conditions under which you are looking at game can vary so much,that it's almost impossible to say in advance what will work and what won't....

I have never had a scope cost me a shot at anything because I could not see it to shoot......but one day at the range I did have this happen while sitting at the 600 yard line waiting for barrels to cool...it was mid afternoon, sunny,and I noticed "something" with my naked eye in the shadowed woodline,out in tall yellow grass, at the edge,near the 300 yard line.

I grabbed my Swaro 8x30's...saw 2 deer out in the high yellow grass, dappled in sunlight and shadow.I decided to "count coup" on them and grabbed a rifle with an older Leup 6x36....I simply could not ID any of them under those conditions for what they were,and there simply was not enough contrast in the optics to "pull" those deer from screening cover.

I also had a 3.5-10x50 Kahles, and a VX3 2.5-8 along and with either of those(both set on 6X to make it fair), it was easy to distinguish those deer in those conditions,well enough for a shot.To me these mixed light/mixed cover conditions are far more difficult,and a tougher scope test,than gradual,monolithic darkness setting in on an open field.

The optics of thesee two scopes were just enough "better" in contrast and resolution to provide a shot with them, where another would not cut it....

I am no "highclass glass" snob and frequently hunt with 80's era 4X Leupolds blush but I gotta call a spade a spade and anyone who tells me they will always see everything through the lesser quality glass, simply demonstrtaes to me they have never been in a situation where the differences are apparent. smile

Conquests have the nicest glass I have looked at in their price range,and Kahles is right there, too IMHO.

Last edited by BobinNH; 04/27/11.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I got lambasted here once for making a similar comparison and it still smarts. No one likes to get criticized, but I have had shots in legal conditions where I had a Schmidt and Bender scope and I could do all that BobinNH is describing, while the guys with me couldn't.

I will continue to use my Z-6 in the same way until I decide I need a S&B again. Until that time, whether the know-it-alls continue to poo-poo the difference in high end glass, I will still have one "go to" rifle outfitted accordingly because I have seen the difference.

I would also say I am willing to put my successes in the field against anyone as to my experience. I will also admit the biggest elk and all of my trophies were shot in conditions that didn't require that type of optics, so it is conceivable that you can hunt a lifetime, have success and not have a S&B scope.

That said, I will still use the highest quality of optics on any rifle I own, and there isn't a straight 6X on a single one...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have had a bunch of different brands/models of scopes and at the end of the day a Zeiss 3x12x56 Victory came out on top.
You've got a lot of advice so far and most of it is worth what you paid for it.
Anybody who thinks a 40-42mm scope will perform with bigger mm's in low light would not be the one I'd take advice from................just sayin

B.C. don't matter.............Laffin!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In this same price range....Anyone looked through one of the Nightforce scopes and compared to other high dollar glass?

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I have used Nightforce on a few occasions but don't own one. I have most of the others discussed, except S&B. SWFA in their scope comparison chart, IIRC, don't have Nightforce in the top tier, not in the class with S&B, Swaro, and top end Zeiss. Check it out on line.

DF

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have used a Leupy 2.5-8x36 for most of my hunting bought my first in 1977, but updated from the vari-x to the VX3 with BC reticle a few years ago. This is plenty of scope for the last minute of legal light where the legal light is determined by half hour after sunset.
For my heavier whitetail rifle, it is scoped with a Zeiss Conquest, although I did try a Victory. Sent the Victory on down the road because I couldn't stand the swelling cross hairs when load testing at 300 and 400 yard targets.

The Conquest duplex reticle is the perfect weight for me, therefore it is the perfect whitetail deer scope!
If mountain mulies or in the mix, and/or a horse scabbard will be used, the smooth shape of a Leupy 2.5-8x36 or 3.5-10x40 works very well.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have three Zeiss 1.5-6x42 scopes. I have one S & B 1.5-6x42 scope. I have one Swarovski 1.5-6x42 scope. I have one Meopta 1.5-6x42 scope.

I have used a lot of other scopes. I can't find a better scope than a 1.5-6x42 from one of the above. For my money, and the above represents a bunch of my money, there is nothing better for an all around deer hunting scope for Minnesota. I am good out to 400 easily with any one of them. I am good as long as I have a little light to work with, whether it is moonlight, reflection off a cloud deck in the middle of the night or just before dawn or after sunset. Having that kind of glass at least I know that the ones I can't see well enough to shoot are going to need something a hell of a lot better to be sure about.

My favorite is the Schmidt and Bender because it's a police sniper model with short turrets that let me go from 100 yards to 300 yards with one click and to 400 with three clicks. Otherwise they are so close to each other they are equal IMO.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Low light and long range means lots of objective size and the magnification to go with it. There ain't no way any decent 40/42mm scope can complete with a top model from Zeiss, Leupold, Swarovski, or S&B in a 56mm model.
For twilight shooting you could use at least 11X, maybe more on a bright day.
No way I'd even consider something like that for my big game rifles. They have a bad habit of being troublesome in the field. Any casual bump and you'll probably have to rezero them, for instance. Not for me. I'll stick with my 4-6X scopes. Never had to rezero one inspite of lots of hard knocks. E

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
i've used several different 50mm swarovskis and have been disappointed in them. Just didn't seem as bright at high magnification as the Leupolds I used to use. Aging eyes may have a lot to do with that, though.

This year i am giving zeiss a try. Victory 2.5-10x42 on one rifle and Conquest 3.5-10x44 on another. Z-Plex reticle and Target turret on both.

I do agree that if low light/no light performance is a priority (either sitting over a foodplot at last light or hunting dark timber where it gets dark before legal shooting time is up), more objective is going to be better than less - but - i got tired of the "dolly" look on my rifles (as someone around here puts it).

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by StrayDog
I have used a Leupy 2.5-8x36 for most of my hunting bought my first in 1977, but updated from the vari-x to the VX3 with BC reticle a few years ago. This is plenty of scope for the last minute of legal light where the legal light is determined by half hour after sunset.
For my heavier whitetail rifle, it is scoped with a Zeiss Conquest, although I did try a Victory. Sent the Victory on down the road because I couldn't stand the swelling cross hairs when load testing at 300 and 400 yard targets.

The Conquest duplex reticle is the perfect weight for me, therefore it is the perfect whitetail deer scope!
If mountain mulies or in the mix, and/or a horse scabbard will be used, the smooth shape of a Leupy 2.5-8x36 or 3.5-10x40 works very well.

I've owned a bunch of 2.5-8 Leup's; they were my favorite scope for years and the bulk of my killin' was through one of those.

BUT, one thing that drove me to try other things is that western Oregon can be so gray and gloomy, and the timber so big etc, that plenty of times the 2.5-8 didn't really get me to "last legal" light (also 1/2 hour post/pre here).

The Conquest do much better.

Haven't tried the new VX3's; they may be better...

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
For all the guys that gave good serious answers---thank you.

For the guys who wanted to argue?? Well I just don't understand that. You should start your own arguing thread. Not gum up a post where someone is really looking for the experience of others.

I am a handicapped hunter. And now all my hunting is fixed position hunting. In the more open areas. I am looking for something that gives the best clarity and works in the worst conditions. Including cloudy, overcast rainy situations, and low light conditions.

I am looking at one of the Zeiss 3X12X56's that Doug has listed. I am also very interested in the straight S&B 8X56. I did have a 3X10 S&B that I liked. And I do have three AV Swaro's. I am just looking to build one ultimate deer rifle for the hunting that I will have to do for the rest of my life. So I am selling off some stuff and ordering a very nice Cooper rifle. And I want the best scope to mount on top. So for you guys who want to argue about those parameters. I say-Please don't. Tom.

West By God Virginia
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hogghead,

I hope the thread goes that way for you <grin>. I'm in your debt for the heads-up on the Swaro AV I got.

Seems to me that you are on the right track here. A "real" Zeiss with a large objective, or and S&B, would be my top choices but that's just based on what the BT/DT guys have reported. I'm just limpin' along with my Conquests and AV.

Good luck to you sir!!

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm partial to a high end 2.5-10X42 as the best all around, do everything deer hunting scope. Although it won't quite hang with a 2.5-10X50 or 56 in poor light, I think it's a good compromise between size, power range, and acceptable low light performance. Depending on the rifle and how I intend to use it, my idea of the "best" deer hunting scope might be a good quality 1.5-6X42, 2-7/8X36, 3-9X40/42, or 2.5-10X42/50. The first 2 configs offer a great combination of wide FOV and enough upper X's for typical forest hunting where max shot distance is limited to maybe 250 yds or so. The latter two have more than enough Xs for everywhere else.

I understand the appeal and can appreciate the simplicity and greater "foolproofness" of fixed power scopes. They have their place. But, for an all-around, go anywhere hunting rifle, I prefer the greater versatility a low to medium range variable offers.

One note on objective size: larger is only better for low light when the magnification used is sufficiently high enough to take advantage of the greater mm's. To say that a 50mm objective always outperforms, say 42mm is false. For example, a 50mm objective will give you absolutely no noticeable advantage over a 42mm objective on a 1.5-6X scope. Even at 6X, the 42mm obj is still providing a 7mm exit pupil, and most people's eyes cannot use more light than this provides. This is the reason optics mfg's don't make 1.5-6X56's, 1-4X42's, etc. Why deal with the extra bulk, weight, and cost if it provides no advantage? If your typical shot distances are barely outside bow range, having a 2.5-10X56 won't provide any advantage over a 1.5-6X42.

If you're using a 2.5-10X, 3-12X, etc., a 50mm or 56mm obj definitely provides an advantage however slight, but only if you have the power dialed above 6-7X. At some point, form factor starts becoming more important than raw performance to me. I'm willing to give up some performance in exchange for a scope that isn't wider than my rifle's forend and doesn't weight 1 1/2 lb or more. There is no such thing as a single "best" anything for everyone. Picking an optic always involves making certain compromises and picking which compromises you're willing to accept in exchange for the advantages that are most important to you.

All of this also assumes you're using high quality optics as well. A large dia obj on crappy optics with poor resolution, light transmission, and contrast won't outperform high quality optics with a smaller objective because a large exit pupil doesn't compensate for poor image quality.

Ted
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by HOGGHEAD
I am looking at one of the Zeiss 3X12X56's

HH,
One of my hunting buddies has that scope. It's certainly a wonderful scope, and would fit your needs well.

Personally, I'd rather have the aforementioned Zeiss 2.5-10X42 because it will do nearly everything the 3-12X56 will do, and where it falls behind in super low light and longer distance, it more than compensates in size... to me.

But, a good deal is a good deal. I have a Zeiss 2.5-10X50, and although I'd prefer the 42, the fact it was a demo and had a discontinued reticle, I got such a good deal on it that I couldn't resist.

Good luck with your decision!

Ted
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
HOGGHEAD
The 3-12x50 S&B Zenith Flash Dot.Fitted with a PH turret.
For more power a 4-16x50 S&B PMII
For a fixed power.A 8x56 S&B with a 30mm Tube fitted with a PH knob and illumination.
If weight isnt an issue
A 5-25x56 S&B PMII with a P3 mil dot reticle.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1Longbow, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,437 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,700
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.