Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
GBB Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
We got troubles, right there in Marlin city -and that starts with T and that rhymes with P and that stands for PUSSYCATS! That was for you John, Squacks, I saw your post and was just about to reply when the BB crashed again! I had just finished a post in reply to Sarge, his is still in memory so I am gonna spill it out here:
<br>***********************************************************
<br>
<br><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr><p>Originally posted by Sarge1:
<br>Well, I finally got back on. What a time I've had.
<br>GBB good to see you got your name back. I hope they get some of the threads back up, but don't suppose they will. I guess they had a complete crash and don't have the room to get all the threads back on. Oh well, we can start over.
<p><hr></blockquote>
<br>
<br>Hi sarge,
<br>
<br>I was over at that campfire BB, some of the guys had stopped by so I posted back (two for you I think..) Then I got to reading some of the other forums - not a bad site, but it has a very different feel to it. Nice enough people as well, but it did not feel like home. That is sort of a big pond over there, I know you know because I saw you and Sqs had posted.
<br>Small game and rifles, that's as far as I got, it would take MONTHS for me to wade through all that (just in the forums I had a STRONG interest in.) And plenty of rimfire people, but they don't seem to identify with the "rimfire way of thinking" the way this groups members do. I will spend some time there though, plenty of good stuff. I just hope and pray the 'puter wiz at Marlin get it covered over here before the boss says "just pull the plug on the whole thing, we are in the rifle business not the website business!" Been there, heard that! (Words to that effect.)
<br>I will be happy to start over in our little pond, should I (we) get the chance... The next few weeks will be the turning point for this BB. At the rate it WAS going it could not last any longer (if that long.) The BIG crash we just had MAY have been the best thing for us. The system had been corrupt for a while (imho) and kept getting worse until it hit "critical mass" so to speak. If the foundation is laid well, this BB will stand, if not... Well like I said, the next few weeks will tell. If we get a good thread going, we better keep printouts because the geeks (no offense, I've been a pro 'puter geek since 1982) are gonna keep this site pruned down to size (at least until a new OS, faster and bigger hardware and more bandwidth is/are in place.) time-will-tell...
<br>More coming but I will put in a reply to Sqs. Good hearing from you,
<br>Later,
<br>GBB
<br>
<br>************************************************************
<br>Wow, I just re-read that - I hope no one here in the "big pond" takes offense, none was meant. If discretion is that better part of valor, I think I just came up short in favor of honesty - one of my major faults.
<br>
<br>Check in guys, I would like to hear a roll call of sorts, It would make me feel better.. I miss RedNeck Matt, and the Birdman of A, and allot of the guys, I needed to say thanks to WALENSHOOTER - GEEZ! I MISS CB-NUTT!!!
<br>
<br>I'm getting out into the woods tomorrow, sunup (Hour early Squacks) 'till sundown!
<br>
<br>Thanks guys,
<br>
<br>GBB
<br>
<br>

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
GBB,
<br> Well, here we are again. I'm a computer illiterate so I don't really understand what's going on like you do, but I hope they get it fixed.
<br> I haven't hunted squirrels since the first part of Jan, and haven't got to shoot at all. The wind is ever present here lately. I received some of that wolf ammo (target, sub sonic, and match extra) and I've been wanting to test it out. It's priced good. The match extra is the highest and I think it was around 2.50 a box. Wolf also makes one called match gold (I think) which is pretty high priced. I ordered it from JG sales.
<br>I'm starting to get the fishing fever a little, but Squacks says I should try spring turkey hunting first. I may break down and try it. Everyone I talk to that hunts them loves it.
<br> Hope you have some good shooting tomorrow. Good luck!

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
GBB: THIS IS THE DEADEST SITE I HAVE EVER SEEN. EVEN THE MARLIN BOARD WHEN IT'S DOWN HAS MORE POSTERS THAN HERE. I KEEP CHECKING IN THE TURKEY THREAD AND IT IS FLAT. YOU CAN HARDLY GET A RISE FROM ANYBODY. IT'S LIKE THEY TALK PAST EACH OTHER WHEN THEY DO POST. IT'S DEFINITELY NOT THE COMMUNITY WE CAME FROM! LISTEN. I THINK I HEAR AN ECHO.
<br> I HAVE FOUND REM. ELEY AND FEDERAL BULLETS TO TRY IN THE FUTURE. I ALSO FOUND A FEW MORE TURKEY CALLS. DID I MENTION THAT I AM A TURKEY CALLAHOLIC?! LUCK!
<br>HEY SARGE: MAYBE WE OUGHT TO GET A GOOD SASQUATCH-TOMCAT THREAD GOING OVER ON THE SMALL GAME TOPIC!
<br>
<br>

Last edited by SQUACKS; 02/14/02.
GBB Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks Sarge, I only sleep 4 hr per night so it's time to hit the sack. I can hunt 'yote, fox and raccoon at night in NY, so I'll be out there jacklighting (so to speak) looking for those yellow/green eyes (some RED too..) midnight tomorrow is the end of fox, coon and bobcat season (26 hr from now!) but got another 45 days of 'yote hunting left. I am done with gbts till the fall; the bucks are swollen in the rut - acting like fools - one walked right up to me in spec. camo yesterday. I took him but when I flipped him over I knew what his problem was. Plus, although there is mast all over (still!) the little fool was as skinny as can be. He must have other things on his mind then food smile. 15-20 hrs of fox/coon/bobcat, then 'yotes till turkey time - NY turkey tags are $2! (Sorry) so I can't pass em up, plus this spring I'll be more ready then I was in the fall - it is fun. The most silent hunting there is (well, that I know of) just a little scraping on that box call and WAIT. LOVE IT!
<br>12GA, XXFULL CHOKE 1 7/8 OZ HARD #6 (ASS KICKING PATTERN TO 40 YARDS) BETTER AT THIRTY...I might go for some Jake and Jenny deeks as well.... Go for it, it's real fun, if you have a trusted hunting partner to call for you, all the better, you can be SETUP! Tom is looking for your bud, and you are looking for tom! The worst part of turkey hunting is getting one. "Butterballs they are not" tough buggers! I stew 'em. Very slow, very long... taste OK, but TOUGH! hehehe...
<br>I got plenty of gunning tween now and April, then I'll have the fishing tuned up... Ah, rainbow trout...
<br>
<br>Keep the Faith,
<br>
<br>GBB

GBB Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Squacks - I am a turkahalic as well, but you name it, I can haolic... I am set up from the last 4 months of buying "close out" turkey shells (Federal and HeaviShot) and box calls and patterned my 12ga w/xxfull choke (nasty pattern - for Tom, that is..) I think the worst part of turkey season is filling out that tag too early. Off to sleep..
<br>Good night,
<br>GBB
<br>

IC B2

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I have been so unsucessful at turkey hunting I have about quit. Oh I'm an excellant caller and I invented a new shotgun shell that will take a turkies head off at 100 yards, but frankly I never killed one.
<br>
<br>We just finished an ammo test on low grade Wolf 22 match ammo it is good stuff.
<br>
<br>Team Top gun just maxed three more Black Death Targets, Bob's 14 year old daughter Rabecka, maxed out on the secound try, some have tried for 8 years.
<br>
<br>I still want to see some of you guys get the max. Let me know when you do and I will put you in the record book.
<br>
<br>As far as those guys cutting me down on Marlin talk, that's fine with me, I don't get mad just even, watch and see. No one with a Marlin has yet to meet the Black Death Challege, I would like to see one of you be the first.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
GBB,
<br> 4 hrs a night is all you sleep? I may be able to handle that for one night, but after that I'd be a zombie.
<br>I feel sorry for that deer, so determined to get himself a honey of a doe that he didn't eat. I kinda remember what that was like, but now I'm at the age where I prefer a good bowel movement.
<br> Squacks,
<br> Good idea. I'm headed to small game to start a sasquatch thread.

N
N
Morning John!
<br>
<br>Looks the Marlin wire is having a lot of problems. Have a good weekend.
<br>
<br>Happy Trails
<br>Navasota Kid

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Looks like the Marlin board is up and going,but I can't get back on it. I've tried everything I can think of and it just doesn't like me anymore. I guess I'll read, but no posts.

GBB Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Yup same here - marlinBB knows me not!
<br>then I go back just to read, and marlinBB has crashed again!
<br>Poor fellas, I hope it gets fixed soon, Sarge, that buck in the rut was a squirrel, not a dear. I know - odd for me to call a squirrel a buck, but I always have called a male sq a buck... I think I am gonna call a female sq a BUSH from now on... naaaa! hey did you see in the marlin bb, John said pussycat and it was not censored! THEN THE WHOLE SITE CRASHED! Oslama musta had a heart attack 'cause he MISSED ONE! smile
<br>GBB

IC B3

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Oh its my fault Marlin crashed again. I tell you its that darn cat. We have a gun show in town so my whole team went. Bob bought Rabecka a new CZ-452 which is what she wanted for her 15th birthday. Now that she is the only female white feather. I was avertising all my sponsors and we got invited to an exotic hunt in Texas.
<br>It would seem that every gun pro in the parish is a Top Gun member and they all travel together, good bunch of folks, damn good shooters. I picked up one new shooter. He has a Ruger 77/22 with a Shilen barrel, Fajen thumbhole stock in Blue marble, weaver scope. He said no trouble with the Black Death target, he wanted $900 for the gun, I told him to keep it he would need it. He kept it and joined the team. I think this old Navy guy is pretty good.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
GBB,
<br> I always called a male squirrel a boar, no particular name for a female. It's kinda like Gen. US Grant, who was tone deaf, commenting on knowing songs. He said: "I can only recongnize two songs. One is Dixie and the other one isn't."
<br>I still haven't got to shoot any because of the wind around here. The black death targets I printed are the wrong size. A dime fits in the #5 target on the ones I printed. I'll still shoot at them, but they won't count.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Oh man, if a dime fits in the 5 ring you got it right, I goofed on a previous post but it was crashed when I fixed it Sarge. The way to test a BD target is to put a dime in the 5 ring ......sorry go for it. If you read shooting the Top Gun Match it gives the proper measurements of the little white circles. You can always contact me at fptopgunbellsouth.net

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks John, I guess you'll have to list Savage as one of the guns that shot a 50. HA! Maybe I'll try it at 10ft with my Red Ryder, I'll probably get a better score.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Hey sarge let me get this straight did you score a 50 on the target, if you did get ahold of me at my e-mail address imediately.

GBB Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
hi john,
<br>I went huntin till noon sat - then went to a gun show too. the one in middletown ny SUCKED - it's like all the dealers doubled the prices since 9/11. honest, every dealer selling NIB guns were at MSRP!! that's bs - and no-one had any rimfire ammo - centerfire only, and reloader brass...
<br>saw a bruno (sp) in hornet (from 1944) $1044 - only hornet at show! 3 new cz's - 5-6 hundred, few ansheltz (i know I can't spell that one!) all over a thousand. getting disapointed with the shows around here.
<br>hey, what's an "exotic" hunt in texas - finding a girl with a highschool edumacation! (second wife is from texas - best woman i ever... got a higher education then me also - so all you texas gals can put your guns down - it was a JOKE!)
<br>1/2 hour to a ny exotic hunt - the elusive gbt (taking my rem 510 targetmaster 1 shot, with subsonics) - did that yesterday it was such fun I'm gonna repeet.
<br>have a good sunday,
<br>gbb

GBB Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
hey sarge,
<br>the 880sq I had used to put 5 shots under a dime, but where the dime was - THAT was the problem. Saw a nice savage 22LR at that show yesterday, would have bought it except for the price. a markII with 2 letters fillowing (gx maybe?) nice heavy SS barrel, recesed crown, grey/black laminate wood stock. Oh well, still waiting for my 880sq to get back. the fella said "first part of the week..." that was THIS WEEK I hope...
<br>gbb

GBB Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Quote:
<br>===================================
<br>Poster: Sarge
<br>Subject: Re: Sarge, Squacks, John!
<br>
<br> Thanks John, I guess you'll have to list Savage as one of the guns that shot a 50. HA! Maybe I'll try it at 10ft with my Red Ryder, I'll probably get a better score.
<br>===================================
<br>
<br>Congrats sarge, first with a gun from CANADA! wink
<br>now if the red ryder can pull it off...
<br>gbb

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Gentlemen, gentlemen, see the big HA! after that statement?
<br>NO! I have not shot a 50, I haven't even got to shoot at the target yet, and if I did shoot a 50 there's no one around here to witness it. I'm one of those who'll just shoot it for fun, and I'll tell you how I did, but it'll have to be unofficial. I'm sure the Savage is capable if I find the right ammo, plus my range is 30yds. I shoot off the top of my well house to a railroad tie against one of my sheds. Maybe I can find a table to set in front of the well house to shoot off of to make the distance 25 yds. I'll need all the advantage I can get. Sorry for the confusion my fecitious statement caused.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
SARGE: i was never under the impression that you had shot the target. i could see it was a mis-understanding. this has happened to me on the marlin site. a young man asked the question, "what is a tap"? and being a tooling engineer i thought that i would be qualified to answer that. then he asked, "what is a tap made of", which i also felt in the realm of my capabilities. then i caught both barels from somebody who thought i was giving this young man instructions on how to tap his rifle barrel for scope mounts! i couldn't figure how he got to that conclusion by the information in front of him. i let the thing pass. i could have given him instuctions on how to machine the whole rifle for that matter but it is not worth arguing with a person who can't read the facts in front of them.
<br> good luck when you try that target. think i may give it a try again myself. as i said before, my bullets were not up to it. a 15-2x is the best i could manage. but i have a new batch to try. but the rifle i'll be using is the rem. 541t and not a marlin. luck!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,305 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,005
Posts18,500,087
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.