Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Well boys I thought for a moment there sarge had done it. That was a hell of a snake story you told on the Star site. I I trust anyone with a 50 it would be sarge. He has seen the eliphant.
<br>
<br>Our gun show this week was small but Bob got Rabecka a nice CZ-452 Trg. $250. At 10 feet you can't tell the difference in it and my lux. I did a trigger job on two CZ's this weekend they were both tack drivers. As far as accuracy, they all shoot the same, good. marlin is wiped out again.
<br>
<br>When I get my marlin 1897 it better shoot a 50 on the Black Death $500. Im going to start a Cowboy action division for 2003. any stock 22 with a tubular magazine, except bolt actions.
<br>

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
GBB,
<br> I'll bet your 510 is accurate. Years ago I bought my youngest son a used 511 and it was real accurate. Never had a scope on it, but he had good eyes.
<br>Squacks,
<br> When I was in Alaska a friend had a 541T. Pretty rifle and very accurate. He would consistently shoot grouse in the head at 30 yards. I wanted one but naturally they didn't make it left handed.
<br>John,
<br> I looked at my targets again and it's the #3 target that a dime sets in. If the wind ever settles down, I'll shoot at the #3 target and see how I do. My Dad's old Marlin bolt action from the 30s is the gun that may just do it, but I have to try my Savage first since it's the one I hunt with.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
sarge: i have really been tickled with the 541t. i have pulled some shots with it on squirrels and crows that amazed me. in the woods it's hard to tell exact distances but there is a pasture i hunt where you can see a long way. i hunt it sometimes just for that reason. squirrels can see you a long way off and i can see them. it requires longer distance shooting than normal. i practice a lot at 50yds. most of the shots in that pasture are that and more. there is a little berm on one end that is a perfect rest for the rem. in the prone position. and it's all walnut trees! it's the only reason i bought the ssv. next year i plan on trying one even further. but in truth i never needed the ssv. but i had a ball shooting at that 200yd target with it!

GBB Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
hi sarge,
<br>yup, the 510 is as good as i can be. i have only used it with subsonics, but whatever i aim at it hits. good out to about 30-40 yards with GBTs, after that, i can't see them unless moving... when the gbt stops he just sorta blends in. Also, ala katnia (the tiger hunter from india), I hunted some tiny tigers myself sat. At 20 yards TTs (Tiny Tigers) disaper when not moving. so i hit a few on the run. tts running along logs. I got a brick of rws subsonics, must be very soft lead, the hollow point opened up in the tts! it's a shame, i wanted one of those tiger rugs you see...;)
<br>have a good day boys, i'm back to work after a 4 day weekend,
<br>GBB

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Squacks,
<br> When it comes to buying a new gun, you don't have to "need" it. I figure as long as there's a reason, like your 100 yd shots at squirrels. The type of areas that I hunt rarely offer shots past 50 yds, but later in the season when the leaves are off, longer shots are available. I think you've convinced me that I need a 22mag for those occasions. Savage makes one for left handers and at a good price too. If I was sure that Savage was going to make a left handed 17, I'd hold out for it.
<br>GBB,
<br> I used to hunt those tiny tigers with a pellet gun. They're quite a challenge. I have cleaned up a bunch and fried them. They are good, but it takes a bunch. I think it was 15 that I cleaned.
<br>John,
<br> If that 97 doesn't shoot good enough for the black death target, I'll take it off your hands, provided of course that there's a substantial discount involved. I sure like the looks of that gun.
<br>

IC B2

GBB Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
John,
<br>I am tracking my 880SQ - I can SEE it comming home. I am told she came out pretty well, not everything I was told to expect, but the smith did his best, and even went "above and beyond" in some respects. He is a good man. I should have her in my hands tomorow, with luck I will max "the target" this weekend. MAJOR CONGRATS TO NIGHTHAWK - Dem cz's sure seem to do da job! I hope I can beat you to it with a marlin smile
<br>
<br>MAY THE BEST TEAM WIN!
<br>
<br>GBB

Yep! Thanks. If only they made a Match grade ammo for the WMR. Well may have to give the Model 39 another crack at it! Good luck with your 880SQ.
<br>Regards Nite}{Awk

GOD Bless us All....Amen
GBB Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks Nighthawk, and I GOT IT! With the MARLIN 880SQ!!!
<br>Man, this feels good. I gave it a try with the 882ss as well - not even close. But the SQ can do it over and over. You are lucky to have tiger to go with you; you can coach each other and witness the results. It was hard to get someone to sit there with a spotting scope and watch me max the first one, I asked if he would stay and watch some more... He had just filled out the "witness affidavit", I think he was a little burnt out, he said "maybe next time" smile
<br>I am gonna bribe a bud to come along on Sat. and witness a few more maxes (not TOO over confident...) I also gave it a try with my 56 year old REM Targetmaster 510 and her iron sights. HOW DID THAT GUY DO THAT FROM 50 YARDS! I could hardly see the #10 target at 25 yards - needless to say, no max with the REM wink
<br>
<br>I'll bet mountainrunner gets it too, he has one of those first 880SQs with the match chamber...
<br>
<br>Thanks again, and good luck again - to you and tiger.
<br>
<br>GBB

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Your right about Mike Flyns' max at 50 yards we don't know how he did it either, It wasn't luck, he almost did it twice. When he put a target scope on the gun he didn't get close. The worst part was the ammo, Remington Long Rifle holow points high speed, It will be a long time before anyone matches Mike's target, Im glad he is on my team.

GBB Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
John,
<br>geez-wow! That's a ******* story!
<br>Now I got 1,
<br>Marlin board just crashed again!!
<br>While I was accepting my academy award in that thread you started about that yank maxing the BD target! When I started typen, everything was "copastetic" - when I hit the "submit" button, Rimfire and bigbore forums were gone. Also funny, I had just gotten back the name "graybushy" so THAT'S gone again too frown...
<br>Too funny!!
<br>Marlin will have it up tomorrow I suppose, I'll post it then, in the mean time I will post it here 'cause it's still in memory.
<br>By the way, I am going to try to get some of the tricked-up 10/22 guys (at my new range - 25 yards...BOO HOO) addicted to the BD challenge targets. I got a feeling it will be the most fun in a competition, so strategy can win the day, not necessarily a "50".
<br>GBB
<br>

IC B3

GBB Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
ok, here is what I wrote as marlin crashed (Nero fiddled..)
<br>===========================================================
<br>
<br>Hi John,
<br>Thank you, I literally could not have done it without your help and guidance. First you had to have put the BD CHALLANGE in my (and everybody else's) face. Made it easily available, talked it up in the face of adverse attitudes. Then 5 weeks ago you told me it was time to quit smoking those smokes, and I have not had one since that night. Now when I am at the bench, thinking about shooting, I am thinking about SHOOTING - not getting outside to grab a smoke. That's part of what you told me that night, and you were right. Also my heart doesn't "pound" when I stop breathing at that "mid-point" when I am ready to take my shot. I have a few extra seconds every time, which feels like it is due to cutting out those smokes. Then I used ammo I felt confident about. Gauged and sorted. Did that make a difference? I felt more confident that I knew my ammo, and it was in some way more regular (round to round) then un-sorted ammo. Confidence really helps. Even if it is the "placebo effect" -although I don't think it is. (But I wouldn't, would I?) Then I got allot of encouragement from you and from my many friends here at Marlin Talk. The support here is like nothing I have ever seen anywhere else in "cyber space", and I have been around the block a few times. 99% of the people here want nothing more then to help others, and to feel good about doing that. We are not "angles" but 99% of us have our hearts in the right place - better then 99%, much closer to 100%. I wonder if I could have done it yesterday without an indoor range. I must thank Dennis Serpi, Owner of "Master Class Shooters Supply Range" in Monroe, NY for allowing me access to the range on nothing more then a handshake. (I think he had a 45 in the other hand, so don't be thinking he is some sort of a "soft touch".) And Richard Cuozzo who sat there and watched the little lead go down range over and over so I could have a witness for the records. Richard doesn't know me from Adam, but he took time out to help me (and Marlin.) Thank you Marlin for making the coolest Squirrel Rifle, the 880SQ!
<br>And I would like to thank the academy for...
<br>For a moment there I was Julia Roberts! I should have asked myself out, before the feeling faded...
<br>Mostly I am lucky to get the chance to thank you all the way any of you would have thanked me (as part of us) if it happened to have been someone else. I just squeezed the trigger 5 times, YOU and the people I happened to have (remembered to have) named did WAY most of the work, and have WAY most of the skills.
<br>Thanks for putting up with me.
<br>gbb
<br>

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
GBB, I think right now the White Feather in your cap, is worth more than an Oscar. There is still one more challenge to go, and that is to teach others what you have learned. Sooner or later, you will bump into a kid, that appears to have nothing to do but get in trouble. You will try real hard not to notice, but you just can't. You will find that you will speak with confidence, as you gain that kids intrest in shooting, and probably a lot of other things that need mentioning to kids these days. "When the student is ready, the master will appear." Thats you now, Noah......PASS IT ON

GBB Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
John,
<br>That (God willing) is when I get a chance to SHOW my "thanks".
<br>GBB

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
John,
<br> You're right about getting a kid interested in shooting. I think we've talked about this before, but it seems that a kid that is interested in hunting, fishing, shooting, doesn't get into trouble. By the way, GBB, I read on the Marlin board about you maxing the BD target, that's quite an accomplishement. Congratulations on the white feather in your hat. Another "by the way". John, are you using the white feather in memory of Carlos?

GBB Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Sarge,
<br>I just checked the "who is on", and John jumped off, the 3 of us been going around and around from Ms BB to here.
<br>Yes, Carlos, did you read that thing at "star Arch" about "white feather"? - just a paragraph about him.
<br>(I wonder if bullseye knows about this place?)
<br>GBB

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
GBB,
<br> No, I hadn't read that, but I figured that's where the white feather came from. I had the opportunity to meet Carlos a few years back. It's a shame that a man like him had to wither away.
<br>I don't know if Bullseye knows about this site or not. John must have had to go to work. I have to go in today and kick the little nose pickers around in wood shop. Oh well, it's better than teaching math, since I'm a mathematical idiot!

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Yes thats where the White Feather concept came from just like Davy Crocket's coon skin cap. I never got to meet Carlos Hathcock, but I get to shoot with his top student John Wilde every day. He is a phenominal rifleman, it seemed only befitting the White feather would be the icon of the best of the best top gun squirrel rifle shooters. Carlos Hathcock got his first trainging in the Ozark Mountains in Arkansas with a 22 squirrel rifle. An officer once told him to get rid of the feather in his booney hat. Now I know an officer that would give a months pay for a white feather in his cap. PASS IT ON

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
John,
<br> Did you ever hear of a man named Chuck Mulheany?(may be spelled wrong) I don't know if he was a Marine sniper or Army (I think Marine), but he was up there with Carlos on confirmed kills. Some credit him with more, but I haven't seen or heard a confirmation on that. Do you know anything about it?

GBB Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
oh, I just want to puke! was posting a reply to sqs when - you guesed it CRASH - there goes the GrayBushyWhacker name. well I did not realy like that one anyway..
<br>this was in responce to you sqs:
<br>
<br>==========
<br>Sqs,
<br>Now that sounds like fun, the boy scouts turn out at one of the local rod & gun ranges twice a year like a plague of chattering and cracking locusts. You can tell the night before, at walmart, the moms show up one after another looking for shooting eye and ear protection. TOTALY cracks me up to listen to the mothers attack the walmart clerks...
<br>"Are these plastic glasses SAFE!"..."I'll take 3 of those!" ($45 earmuff protectors - look like they would be at home on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier) - "Mam, these 66 cent Remington green disposable earplugs really work very well..." - "not for MY boy!" then finally "what do you mean you are ALL OUT!!!"
<br>
<br>Now I stopped typing just here cause I heard my chock lab chewing something - it sounded WAY too crunchy - so I get up to see what the big dope has got and lo and behold, He has just mauled my prescription shooting glasses. Tell me somebody in authority around here doesn't have a sense of humor. Here I am making fun of those boyscout moms and their eye protection and just then the big dog finds and eats MINE! Oh, very funny big guy...
<br>
<br>================
<br>
<br>very, very funny...
<br>
<br>GBB

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
GBB,
<br> That's what you get for having a Lab. My lab finds all sorts of things to chew on. One day she was chewing on a couch leg, don't know where she found it. Another day she had the leg of a wooden kitchen chair, don't know where she got that either. I have found all sorts of stuff in my yard that she finds a brings home, all junk. Smart dogs though, and very personable. I'd sure like to find a Jack
<br>Russell terrier or a good feist at a decent price. I refuse to pay alot of money for a dog. I did pay 35 for a Beagle and he got ran over. Some the best dogs you can have are mutts that are given away.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

333 members (264mag, 204guy, 257heaven, 309coug, 2five7, 348srfun, 51 invisible), 2,390 guests, and 1,108 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,974
Posts18,499,435
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.