Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ya'll are bored...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
West Texas Mule deer hunting

60 medium tan, 30 white, 10 brown

[Linked Image]

Are you wearing camo?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Na, that orange cap represents a large bloom at that time of the year...grins

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I never could see the point in camo painting or whatever a hunting rifle. How close are you guys trying to get with these "sniper rifles"?

A varmint calling rifle, maybe, a big game rifle- wow, I just don't get it. I think you order whatever color stock looks good to YOU, don't worry about the deer. I think Steelhead and his outrageous stocks are gonna work just as good as Shane's paint jobs for any hunting I have ever seen.

He must have left the bumble bee home so he had to wear that hat to even the field!!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Camo for me is all about personality. I do my metal work in cerakote and then the kids tear it up on the stocks, has given me some interesting patterns and combinations. My four year old boy wants giraffe camo but not so sure on that one.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by fremont
I hunt mulies and elk in an area that is mainly sagebrush with a fair measure of basalt mixed in, as well as stands of pine. I'm leaning towards the Desert Camo pattern but was also wondering what McSwirly color combo might come the closest.

Multi-cam / McCamo works very, very well in Afghanistan's mixed terrain.

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I never could see the point in camo painting or whatever a hunting rifle.

Same reason I don't like a primered truck. I want it to look nice.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I never could see the point in camo painting or whatever a hunting rifle.

Same reason I don't like a primered truck. I want it to look nice.

Same deal, some care, some dont. I pretty much view guns and vehicles as tools. I could care less the looks as long as they perform. Know a taxidermist down the road still driving an OLD yota truck thats beat up. Says all his new truck money goes to African safaris cause its what he wants.

So yeah, if camo is what ya want, thats cool, just don't think that if the rifle is camo or isn't, that it'll affect the results of the hunt.

Am I far off target there?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
When talking Mcmillan, camo is the same price, so why not? Then again, I don't like pink, blue, red rifles, etc.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
When talking Mcmillan, camo is the same price, so why not? Then again, I don't like pink, blue, red rifles, etc.

Exactly.

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
But why camo? Why not paint a mural on it or some geodesic design? Unless you are trying to hide your rifle...

I really like some of the swirly patterns as they are unique, molded in and can add much more character than using 4 colors of Rustoleum can.

To me, classy is a nice finished walnut stock, with or without forend tips, fleur de lis checkering or inletted grip caps.

If you are camo finishing a big game hunting rifle, it is not to impress anybody but your peers as the deer aren't going to notice it any less.

Do you guys paint your trucks camo too?? I have seen some of them going down the road.

Only reason I can see to do different paint jobs than impressing your buddy, internet or real, is to make ID at just a glance. "Oh, my multi-cam is my 6.5 creedmore..."

NRA Benefactor Member

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I keep around 100 rifles in the rack, scoped and ready to shoot, so different color stocks make picking out a specific rifle easier. But only to a degree, since the rifles are arranged in rimfire caliber order and than centerfire caliber order. 17HM2 on the far left and 375 H&H on the far right.

To me, stocks and barrel flutes are kinda like after-market rim/tires or other auto related "bling". Look at all the mostly useless crap that people pay serious $$ for to individualize their vehicles. Driving/fog lights that they use less than 1% of the time. Or like drug dealers with their white Escalades with 22" rims, low profile tires, and deeply tinted windows. Or, like peacocks, nature just wants the male of the species to be brightly colored.

JEff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My nicer wood stocked rifles are eye pleasing and I enjoy them. Some of my friends may appreciate them. How is that different from swirlies or camo. The synthetic stock/ stainless have their place in ruff weather and nasty terrian. Don't see any need in only having a flat black stock.

By the way I am one of the first to mock camo clad hunters driving around with their camo rifle sticking out a jacked up sticker covered truck window.

I only wear camo on duty, turkey hunting and sometime bow hunting.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I often wear camo outer wear, German mil-surp Gore-Tex, because it is good and cheap, less than $50 per top/bottom set. I'd be just as happy if it had been made in a single color, happier if it was cheaper!

JEff

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
To me, classy is a nice finished walnut stock, with or without forend tips, fleur de lis checkering or inletted grip caps.

I wouldn't own such a rifle, then again, I wouldn't own a Swirley either.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I often wear camo outer wear, German mil-surp Gore-Tex, because it is good and cheap, less than $50 per top/bottom set. I'd be just as happy if it had been made in a single color, happier if it was cheaper!

JEff

Huntable rain gear is tough to find in non camo. Surplus gear is one thing while hunting. At the daughters soccer game I see this guy wearing a $300 sitka jacket. I get it's a nice jacket but wearing camo as a fashion statement has always gritted my teeth. But whatever to each his own.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I wore OD fatigues, then BDUs, and then, as an optional uniform, leftover OD rip-stop uniforms, so wearing any sort of camo wasn't something that I wanted to do when I was off-duty.

JEff

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I wore OD fatigues, then BDUs, and then, as an optional uniform, leftover OD rip-stop uniforms, so wearing any sort of camo wasn't something that I wanted to do when I was off-duty.

JEff

Amen to that.

I wear camo when bowhunting and predator calling. I might wear a camo shirt when rifle hunting as I have a few of them. I think we over-think some of this stuff sometimes.

NRA Benefactor Member

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 2,412 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,653
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.