Print Thread
Hop To
C
coues32 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I am getting a model 70 Classic in 375,it has a NECG front band sight but no rear sight.The barrel is tapped for a rear sight.

I like the idea of the Brockman peep,would like it to stay on the rifle.Any other options?It will be wearing a Lupie 1.5x5 and be a Brown bear gun.Is there a good sight that will fit the original screw holes?

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I'd put Leupold Weaver-style (cross slot) steel bases on the rifle for the scope, mounted with QRW rings and an NECG Weaver-style peep sight.. It's fast, reliable and provides a built-in back up sighting system for a DGR. BTW I take the aperture disc off mine and use the screw-in opening for the peep sight - works well for fast shooting.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I believe that Talley makes a pop up aperture sight made into the rear base so when the scope is removed, the aperture pops up. Might be an ideal option for your rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Both of the above options are good ones, but an Express style wide V with a silver inlaid thin line from the bottom of the V down to the sight base would be my choice. Partly for great up close and personal shooting, partly to use the screw holes that are there in the barrel, and partly for aesthetics and style. The reality is that with a top quality low X variable scope that has thick crosshairs or even a post and crosshair set up the sights are there mostly as a placebo and for looks. Most, by far, are never ever used.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you need bases/rings for a scope, PM me. I have Leupold QR Weaver bases/rings for pre-64 M70 exp for sale, NIB. Link to ad.

Cheers,

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1. Carefully pick out the load(s) you'll want to use

2. Set up an express rear sight with the same number of blades (up to 3) as the loads you've selected in #1

3. Adjust front sight height to get to the POI you want

Murphy was a grunt.
C
coues32 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thanks guys,I should have the gun here next week.Who makes the safari style wide blade that will fit factory holes?

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
You know the old saying: KISS!

Don't mess around with multible leaves...purchase an NECG rear sight, and install same.

If you want to shoot distance beyond 100yds, install a scope.
The more leaves, the more chance of having the wrong one "Up" when shooting.

I've been utilizing one fixed leaf on my African DG rifle for over 20yrs, and have NEVER experienced the need for more than one leaf.

Enjoy your .375H&H. Matched with a .300H&H, these two, for a client, are ideal for Africa.

Regards, JLS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TSIBINDI
You know the old saying: KISS!

Don't mess around with multible leaves...purchase an NECG rear sight, and install same.

If you want to shoot distance beyond 100yds, install a scope.
The more leaves, the more chance of having the wrong one "Up" when shooting.

I've been utilizing one fixed leaf on my African DG rifle for over 20yrs, and have NEVER experienced the need for more than one leaf.

Enjoy your .375H&H. Matched with a .300H&H, these two, for a client, are ideal for Africa.

Regards, JLS

Good advice

Murphy was a grunt.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes indeed, ONE LEAF sight is all one needs for the most part. I once started to put a 3 leaf sight on a model 70 but soon changed my mind after checking it out at the range. My rifle with iron sights is dead on at 70 yards!

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by coues32
Thanks guys,I should have the gun here next week.Who makes the safari style wide blade that will fit factory holes?

Check with NEGC and Brownells. One or the other, if not both, will have that. Agree on the one blade being all you need.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
C
coues32 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I like simple,and want a sight that I dont have to put on after the scope is removed.The Brockman pop up peep any good or one on the barrel be a better choice?

It will have a 1.5x5 Lupie on it,irons will be for back up purposes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Either will work for that purpose, lots of wide V express sights on scoped rifles, including mine. I think the Wide V looks much better if such matters to you. Have to admit though, that for making a longish shot with iron backup sights the peep is head and shoulders above. Great for close quarters stuff on big targets, not much use otherwise. Notice zero wide V sights on match or target rifles, for very good reason.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I believe it should accept the same rear sight Winchester provides with them which is made by ERA and sold by NECG under The Toy Chest or something similar on their websight.

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Sako Finnbear, front blade, QD factory peep and the QD Sako rings and a 2-8X Leupold.

Ooops...M70, Sorry! (grins)

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
coues32

I had a NECG masterpiece rear and a bright orange ramp front put on mine.Wouldn't be the ideal back up for long range but great one for in the alders.Sometimes even 1.5x is way to much for the pucker brush.

Aaron over at Gator Guns did mine.Took it to Cliff Huggs first and had him turn the barrel down and cut it to 22 inches.That made it a whole new gun.Definatly suggest you do that.

C
coues32 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I would of liked to have the barrel cut down but it has been ceracoated and NECG front sight put on it.It should be at Gators this week.It has a Brown precision stock and Williams bottom metal also and is suppose to weigh 7lb 15oz.I'll see how she handles.Sights will be for close range,have a Kodiak BB tag next spring.
Originally Posted by trapperJ
coues32

I had a NECG masterpiece rear and a bright orange ramp front put on mine.Wouldn't be the ideal back up for long range but great one for in the alders.Sometimes even 1.5x is way to much for the pucker brush.

Aaron over at Gator Guns did mine.Took it to Cliff Huggs first and had him turn the barrel down and cut it to 22 inches.That made it a whole new gun.Definatly suggest you do that.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

272 members (10ring1, 1_deuce, 12savage, 204guy, 12344mag, 16gage, 32 invisible), 2,364 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,501
Posts18,490,488
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.