-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Uh-oh..since Blues were introduced into the thread..I feel another mini-hijack coming on! shocked

Last year's fave grouse gun...a recent build in a .222

[Linked Image]

laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

M
MnFn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
The photo of the model 12 brings back memories. I used to regularly use one. That one got the worst abuse of any gun I have ever used. About ten years ago I and two friends were grouse hunting in Northern Mn. We were on an old logging trail riding four wheelers back to an area where we knew held grouse. I had my model 12 16 gauge in a soft case strapped on the top of the back rack.

When we started walking I had about as easy a shot at a grouse as you could ever have. I saw it before it started to fly and it was in relatively open woods/brush. It lifted off, I shot and...missed. Then my friend said "whats the matter with your gun?" I thought he was just giving me crap about my shooting skills, but he was serious. My gun barrel was bent. The end of the barrel had apparently caught on a tree as I took a tight corner around a pine tree and put a bend in it. Idiot!

A gunsmith was able to staighten it out so that you could not even see the damage it had sustained. Lesson learned, I switched to a hard case.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Beal175, I used a Bernardelli of the same model when I lived in upstate New York for 21 years, except mine was a 20 with double triggers. Nice little guns! Out here in CA we don't have ruffed grouse; I use a 12 guage O/U for most of my upland hunting (CA quail and chukars; a few blue grouse ). Ranges are sometimes pretty long, especially with chukars and blues.

I used to shoot cottontails when grouse hunting in NYS, but my hunting partners frown on that when hunting birds, so I leave them alone when hunting with a dog and only go after them when I'm alone (usually with a .410 Contender). Tasty.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a number of o&u and sxs , pumps and semi-autos but just love the Bernadelli for grouse hunting

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bea175
My Favorite is the Bernadelli Premier Gamecock made back in the 60's or 70's. 12 ga English Stock 25.5 inch barrel IC and Mod. This shotgun has Auto Ejectors and Single Trigger. I have killed a bunch of Ruffs and Quail with this shotgun.

[Linked Image]

These were excellent guns. cool They were built by Victor Sarasqueta of Spain.

I had one in my late teens that was taken in a burglary; I still miss the gun.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Favorite when hunting over dogs-Browning A5 Sweet Sixteen.

Favorite late season no dogs-Savage 220 single shot 20 gauge.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm a 28 gauge guy , but have been know to shoot ruffies with 20'16', and 12's with black powder ans brass cases as well as with smokeless stuff in either SXS or O/U.
[Linked Image]
However, for most of my upland - pheasants as well as grouse over a dog is with either a 28 SXS or a Damascus barreled 12 bore with black powder.
[Linked Image]
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I love the 28 ga and used it for dove hunting last season and limited out with less than one box of shells. Beretta 686 O&U with matching 20 ga barrels.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My favorites are a 20 ga Franchi AL48 and a 16 ga. Ithaca 37. But then I've shot squirrels and trout with a shotgun and lotsa ruff's with a rifle too.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I love the 28 grin and use a old Ithaca 20 gauge w/ damascus barrels that I had sleeved by Briley to 28 gauge (maybe a touch too light though - swings REAL fast), a Merkel 280SL, a Weatherby Orion, and a Rizzini. Also have a favorite Beretta 686 onyx in 20 gauge, a Fox sterlingworth in 16 gauge, and a AH Fox 12 gauge that all have spent a few hours in the grouse woods wink Does'nt really matter much what I use as long as it handles well. Like the idea of shooting them in the head w/ a .22 but it will take lots of practice to be able to accomplish that feat on Pennsylvania grouse grin

PennDog

Last edited by PennDog; 05/19/11.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cat, I love those doubles of yours. You definitely hunt with style. And that hat!

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My favorite grouse killing machine is a toss up between a 20 gauge L.C.Smith or a 28 gauge Anschutz (Miroku) O/U. I'm hoping I'm improved enough health-wise to get out in the grouse coverts this year.

Years ago, I had a buddy who couldn't hit a grouse on the wing to save his soul. He kept switching guns trying to find the answer to his poor shooting ability. One day he showed up with a M1897 Winchester WWI trench gun. As we were busting our way through nigh impenetrable white pines to get to a "birdy" spot on the other side, one took off from between his legs. Shooting from the hip, he took it's head off at about 10 feet. Naturally he christened that short beast "the best dam*" grouse gun ever made, and used it as his sole grouse gun for many years. Never mind the fact he never killed another grouse with it.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hunt grouse on the hills of Vermont. An ideal gun is a drilling as the bear season is open at the same time from Sept. on.

If it was raining I would carry the Ithaca Deerslayer for grouse and game. While it has an open choke it does hit the birds. It weighs 7 lbs with it's handy 20" barrel and the 2X Redfield on it.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
12 gauge Winchester Model 12 Featherweight, 26" improved cylinder barrel.

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In order of preferance.

1. Browning Superposed Lightning 20ga 28" SK 1/Imp Mod
2. Le Fevre Nitro Special custon skeet gun 28" 20ga SK 1/SK 2
3. SKB 100 12ga 26" IC/Mod
4. Berretta 300 Anniversary MZL O/U(BLK Powder)
5. Charels Daley Youth 20ga semi auto if I'm flying to a hunt

erich

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I wanted to post a picture of mine with some grouse, but all the photos are just photographs, no digital stuff. My favorite grouse gun is my 12 bore Browning Superposed made in '32. She's light, has a single trigger and will be celebrating her fiftieth season with me this fall. I inherited her from my great Uncle Walt. Along with supplying a farm kid with Outdoor Life and Sports Afield in the fifties, he taught me to chew tobacco, cuss, sing dirty songs, and drink liquor. I suspect he would have introduced me to loose women, had he lived a bit longer. While I love hunting with Greatgrandad's Elsie, she's bored tight , is heavy and has that unsafe trap safety. She's only an occaisional nostalgic partner. While there are a few other shotguns in the safe, none hold a candle to my old O/U. She's scratched and scarred and is on her fourth recoil pad, but comes to my shoulder as if she has a mind of her own.
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
When one says grouse gun the only thing that instantly comes to my mind is 28ga. They just go together so dammn good. Sorta like Peanut Butter and Jelly.

Ithica Classic Doubles NID 4E 20ga is my go to now that I am temporarily without a 28ga.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 06/13/11.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I use my ole reliable Stevens 311c SxS 20ga 28" for all my bird hunting. The blue is still in great shape but the wood, OMG there isn't any clear coat left on it. I don't have the heart to refinish the wood cause I might put a jinx on it. When I take it out of the gun cabinet the wife says " your taking the POS gun " you must be going after some birds.

Ken

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hate to admit it but I do not have a vintage double in a small gauge for grouse, which is the classic choice. And I do not have a setter.

I "run what I brung" with an 870 12 gauge light contour 26" tube and 1oz. of #7 1/2 or #8's. Birds pointed by my old girl Shorthair.

Ruthless and efficient, nobody is going to paint our covert portrait, but it works.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Nothing wrong with your set-up including dog. You nailed the load anyways, so you get bonus points for that.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

110 members (10gaugemag, 308ld, 2500HD, 1_deuce, 15 invisible), 1,715 guests, and 979 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,630
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.