Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I am going to the gulf next month and need a rod/reel combo, nothing fancy just something to get me by this trip might only be used once every couple years.... probably be after black tips, red snapper, kings. Any ideas out there?

GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Will you be bottom fishing or trolling? What's your budget?

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
probably just drifting for sharks, maybe a little bit of both for other fish. I would like to keep it under 200 for sure.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
penn 113hlw run around 80 bucks off of ebay and you can get a trolling rod for a 100 bucks at most tackle stores. spool it with 50# mono or if you want to spend a little more use 80# braid.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
+1 on the braid. If there's a dicks near you they sell a combo with an okuma reel that'll run around 80 bucks. Its nothing real fancy but it'll handle what you're wanting to do.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
If you wind up having to buy a rod separately then you might consider these, they are popular on the charter boats: Ugly Stick Tiger Rod

MtnHtr

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
deerslayerok,

Question for ya. Are you going out on a charter boat or a private boat?

If it's a charter, I'd suggest renting a rod and getting a feel for what you like and also see what the other guys are using. If you can borrow a rod from the guys on a private boat, that's an option too.

To me, fishing rods are kinda like golf clubs. No one club is perfect for all situations although you can play a round of golf with a five iron and probably do OK.

If I had to pick a "five iron" for moderate duty ocean fishing it'd be a 7' graphite or fiberglass/graphite hybrid rather than an E glass (fiberglass) rod. Something rated for 20lb to 50 lb line - more or less. As far as the reel and line goes. It would depend if casting is in the picture of not. No casting involved, I'd go with a lever drag and spool it up with 50 lb braid. If casting is involed, I lean towards a star drag casting reel and go with 30 lb mono.

This would be set-up good what you're descibing and for fish under a 100 lbs.

A couple other things. Are you comfortable with a casting reel or are you a spinning reel type of guy? Have you used an ocean type casting reel without a levelwind? If you haven't, there's a definite learning curve to become proficient with one. All these things makes a huge difference in which direction to go and why I've suggested - try before you buy.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Mtnhntr I believe that rod is part of the dicks commbo I referred.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
for day in day out rough and tumble fishing,an excellant reel is an old penn senator star drag. they still make them but lots of them are on ebay for sale. a 3/0 or 4/0 would be a good size to buy. they can be used equally well for trolling or bottom fishing. 30 to 40 lb. mono line would cover most situations and would be a more suitable line for novice fisherman than braid. terminal rigs such as hooks leaders etc. would be best reccommended localy where you fish. as for a rod something in the 6 to 7' legnth would work rated to the line size your using. quite often tackle repair shops have a good selection of used equiptment for sale. most charter boats supply the tackle, and most party boats rent it.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Well heres the short story, we have been to the gulf a couple times and had fun. So a cousin of mine bought a 20' mako center console and we all decided what the heck we will pitch in a buy stuff and take a week or two and several of us go down and rent a condo and fish. That being said I have never had to buy any of my own saltwater gear, always used the charters, and frankly never paid attention to what we were using!

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
i would suggest you all get on the same page with your buying.
you can troll 4 rods from a 20' boat with some type of outrigger. the rod holder type would suffice. the reels suggested above are 4/0 senators and would be a good choice. the special models are high speed retrieve. try to get 4 matching outfits.
rods are expensive to ship due to legnth. might pay to buy all 4 together as shipping would be about same cost as 1.
you will also need spinning outfits. dont hesitate to use spinners for trolling if their heavy enough.
in florida we use them almost exclusivly while live bait trolling for sailfish.
i use penn 8500s for that but they would be on the large size for general use.
a 6500 would be a good choice for line up to 20 lb.
each guy should have a spinner and a bottom/trolling outfit.
dont go nuts buying lures.
most are meant to catch fisherman not fish.
leadhead jigs will be the exception. stock up on 1/4 to 1 oz to start. you will use them for casting and bottom fishing.
look for some billy baits for trolling lures.
the smaller sizes will be fine for everything.
remember elephants eat peanuts, and big fish eat small lures.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good advice here. I like the Daiwa SeaLine X-40 SHA 6.1 hi speed reel. It will cast better than the Penn 113. TackleDirect,(free shipping over $200), has them for $120. They also have the Daiwa SeaLine Boat SLB in 6 1/2' or 7', 20-60# E glass rods for $55. You can buy 300yds of PowerPro Spectra line for $25. Use it for backing and it will last for years. Top it off with 30 or 40# mono, even 50#, and you are set most all gulf fishing.

The larger SL X-50 reel is the same price and might hold 500 yds of 50# Spectra. The 6 1/2 and 7' Shimano Talavera 20-50# rods are $80-90. They are graphite combination rods.

Good luck.

I just noticed that TackleDirect has the Penn 113H2 Special Senator reel and the 20-50# Penn Slammer 6 1/2' rod combo for $129.

Last edited by croldfort; 05/15/11.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm going to add one more opinion/thought. I'm not knocking anyone's choice or suggestion of going with a 4/0 and a fairly stout rod. It's capable of landing most anything you'll encounter.

However, I prefer fishing lighter tackle. My 4/0 6 /1/2' combo is one of the least used rods and reels I own. I'm very proficient with it but I just don't like big clumsy feel of it.

In most all circumstances I'll choose something a tad lighter. The next step down in tackle is more versital, fun to use and more fun to catch fish with, IMO.

FWIW, altough a Penn Senator is a fine reel I prefer the similar offerings in the Diawa Sealine series if you're staying in that price range. IMO, they are a better designed reel.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
you can pick up sealines cheaper than penns on ebay. both are good reels i give the penn a slight edge in casting for surf fishing.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 160user, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 72 invisible), 2,909 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,622
Posts18,492,736
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.