Print Thread
Hop To
#52461 02/16/02
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Back a few months ago some time around turkey day I bought one of them turkey friers. This one is all stainless steel except for the burner. It came with a basket for...well I guess shell fish as that is why I got it. Any way,so far, I have cooked 3 fantastic turkeys and a whole lot of clams. But I want to expand my culinary horizons and need Ideas. I eat very little beef but on special request will cook dead cow. Has any one tried a buffalo rib roast. I am buying a half a cow buff soon as it can be arranged. I also have some wild hog as of this AM and it appears to be very lean. Any one got some special recipies for pig?
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know any thing about buffalo nor turkey fryers except for frying turkeys or fish in. As for beef, I raise them things, you got to help eat them up [Linked Image]
<br>How fat was your hog? How you cook it is going to depend on that a lot. I never had much luck frying wild hog but slow roasting works well. Peel out the back strap (pork chops) sprinkle well with season salt and tooth pick pineapple slices over it. Put it on a rack and roast for about an hour or two @ 300 depending on how thick it is. You can do a whole ham the same way except you need to wrap it in foil maybe stick a few slices of salt pork in there, salt it well, slosh on some hot sauce and roast in a slow oven.
<br>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Boggy the problem with beef is I helped out way too much when I was younger.
<br>As for a slow oven, how do I know my oven is slow if it don't move at all, sat here all morning and watched and waited and that blasted oven is still in the same place, could it be dead?
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image] stick your head in it for a couple of hours find out how much it is moving.
<br>Serious not over 250 you want what fat you got to permiate the meat. Wild pork can be a little chewey at times.
<br>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Cook lean fast using high heat. Cook fat slowly using low heat. That's why you can pan fry, grill, or flame cook a good steak with a hot fire of 375+ degrees. A fat pork roast cooks well at 300 degrees or less in the oven. Good rule of thumb to remember. Go to the grocery store and get yourself one of those roasting bags. Inside you also get a chart which gives you solid cooking temperatures for oven roasting, baking, and braising. Say that fryer does great french fries!

Phillip P. Foreman
aka Paws or Cpl Kass Irons, CSA
www.ohiocampcooks.org

Athens, Ohio

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Bullwnkl,
<br>I've been frying turkeys (including wild) for a few years now. I think the reason the turkey works so well is because it has a fairly thick skin to protect the flesh. I wonder if you might have a problem burning the outside layer of meat without a coating of some sort--you know, like a chicken fried steak or wrapping with bacon. As far as your turkey frying goes, try making your own injector marinade.. Mine are never the same from batch to batch, but I make them so they aren't near as salty as the prepackaged brands. I also make my own rubs. You can get ingredients either from the store or from one of those sausage supply outfits.
<br>I've got an experiment to try myself. I plucked a ringneck this year (we usually just skin them) and I'm going to dunk him in the turkey frier.
<br>Let us know how your experiment turns out!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (160user, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 12344mag, 007FJ, 71 invisible), 2,321 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,674
Posts18,493,813
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.