Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
McInnis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
The answer is yes, as I almost learned the hard way. I'm posting this with the intent that someone might benefit from it.

Yesterday my wife and I were in the kitchen area drinking coffee when we heard a popping noise in the basement living room. It wasn't that loud, I might have ignored it. But she went to investigate. Then she called me in a near panic.

There was a flame about 8 inches long lapping up the wall from an electrical outlet. After I extinguished it, here's what I found.

First, the space heater was turned off when this happened. It has been plugged into that outlet all winter, but its switch was in the OFF position. Second, the circuit breaker did its job. What was burning was the plastic housing of the surge protector.

We have a Radio Shack brand surge protector. It was plugged into a 110V outlet, and plugged into it was a TV, a stereo, and an electric space heater. Where the the heater plug was plugged into the surge protector there was melted plastic.

So, I took it to work today (I work in an oil refinery) and showed it to two electricians and an electrical engineer. They took the surge protector apart and placed blame on a loose connection inside that most likely caused an arc. The surge protector is rated for 15 amp and the space heater for 12.5, so this shouldn't have happened. But it did.

They all agreed that in spite of the ratings involved, that it's not a good idea to plug anything that pulls much current at all into one of these devices.

About 15 years ago I had an indirect lightning strike do about $2,000 in damage to appliances and I've been a believer in surge protectors since.

The electrical engineer told me he didn't use them as they were placing one more thing in line to go wrong. He said they might protect device such as a TV from a power surge from the utility company, but it's unlikely that they would do anything for a lightning strike.

Anyone else every hear of this happening?

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Glad it worked out OK for you. thanks for posting. It doesnt seem to have been the problem in your case, however I am a firm believer in keeping space heaters on their own dedicated circuit (if run @ 110v).

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes it surely can! We had a problem with the PC a month ago and the surge protector heated up and I smelled smoke. We replaced everything including the PC.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I only use Isobar Trip-Lite or APC, both excellent quality with warranted protection for damage caused if anything should go wrong due to defect or material used. You have to keep careful watch of what each plug is rated and used for, some plugs are not for full capacity.

Phil

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Informative post. Did your electricians think there was a connection to China?

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
IC B2

M
McInnis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
They didn't comment on that, but the surge protector is sure labeled "Made in China". Wonder if you can even buy one that's not?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
There are surge protectors and there are surge protectors.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Just curious- at any time during the life of this protector was more than one of those three items on at the same time? I had one of the cheaper models melt down in similar fashion- it didn't rear its ugly head until it had been in use for some time, and the items plugged into it were very near (but not over) its amperage limit.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Chinese surge protection is worth less than what you likely paid (obviously, and equally obvious is this wasn't a "surge"). Quality whole house protection at your service panel is the only real answer for true surge protection.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
My old man always taught me to never use an extension cord (surge suppressor was before his time) of any kind for anything with a motor or heating element if it's going to be unattended.

Window fans, especially those made in China are notorious for causing fires.

Had a 20" fan seize up while running just a couple weeks ago. It was made in China, but wasn't cheap or I thought... lasted through 1 summer before burning out.

I don't ever leave these items plugged in when away from home.

Phil

IC B3

M
McInnis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
There are surge protectors and there are surge protectors.

What's a good brand Steelhead? I sure wouldn't mind paying a few bucks more.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
one thing I've heard is that if a surge suppressor is tripped a couple times you should toss it as it won't work as intended after tripping. Anyone know it that's true? I'm talking about the cheaper ones you get at Radio Shack or Wally World, Not APC level.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I know a guy that plugged a couple of small freezers into a surge protector. Another real bad idea.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had a big surge several years ago during a lightning storm. Cooked my garage door opener. We had recently updated our tv and pc and bought top of the line surge protectors at Circuit City. They were expensive. TV was okay but the pc was dust. Our son the electrician said that without the surge protectors it would have been worse. By the way, the surge protector for the tv also went to heaven that night.
My son believes in surge protectors (good ones) for the pc and tv due to the number of accessories plugged in. Every thing else is one on one with the outlets. No extention cords in the house.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Your utility company should at least have a distribution class arrester on the pole right beside the transformer feeding your home. The transformer on the pole feeding my home was hit by lightning last year and they never replaced the failed (one shot) arrester. Personally, I would never plug anything other than electronic devices into a strip surge arrester.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had a lot of them at work on computing equipment and all the sudden one day our suppleir recalled a bunch of them. The reason they could cause fires.

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
creative mountings are also a bad idea:

[Linked Image]

courtesy of the previous homeowner. It only shocked me, no fire...crazy

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I had exactly the same thing happen to one in our office. I went back to the manufacturer who of course imported from China. The manufacturer would never respond. I'm a EE & when lighting/surge protection first came on the scene I represented the largest manufacturer of industrial products. Many consumers believe that by going to the local mart & purchasing a cheap surge protector they protect sensitive electronic devices. Totally wrong. Lighting/surge protection is at least a two tiered installation in a residence & perhaps 3 or 4 in large office buildings & manufacturing plants. The best installation is a lightning/surge protector panel connected to the mains of your load center with a quality ground. Mine has fuse protection & indicator lights that show which line failed. Then I have the highest Joule rated plug-in lightning/surge protectors connected to electronic devises. Usually, computer stores are the best source for quality lightning/surge protection. In large metropolitan areas as utilities switch transformers in & out of the system switching surges result. These are very damaging to sensitive electronic devises & are usually cumulative. With a direct lightning strike millions of amps may flow & nothing I know will totally protect a electrical system in this case. Lightning strikes being radiated on the power lines either over head or under ground are protected by properly designed lightning/surge protectors. Incidentally, under ground lines are more susceptible to lightning surges being radiated than over head lines. There is no where for the lightning surge to go, but to the transformers or incoming services. Expect to pay from $150-400 for a panel protector & $100-150 for quality high Joule plug-in protectors.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Chinese electrical prodects should Never be left unattended.
Google CFL fires )

The UL label to them is just a marketing ploy and means NOTHING was tested.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by levrluvr
Just curious- at any time during the life of this protector was more than one of those three items on at the same time?

My thoughts as well. If the heater wasn't switched on, it isn't drawing any amps. Thats not saying that the internals weren't damaged previously though due to too many amps, and the fire was a result of the previously damaged components?

I'm just an ME though, not an EE.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,418
Posts18,470,528
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.