Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I love mine. I hunt from the ground, not in a blind per se, but simply hiding in tall grass or brush. The WB keeps the arrow on the bow even when the bow and arrow are laying on their side on the ground. When drawing the WB will push the arrow back into the center hole if necessary and go ahead and shoot.

Snow and ice no problem for me even on January hunts.

It will magnify poor form, as JJHack has stated above, but then again, I've not missed a deer because of it.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Do you like them?

NO. If conditions are quite, a wary whitetail hears the draw. I used them for years, and like everything else about them, but alerting a couple of mature bucks at the draw will cure that.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Can't get over folks using noisy rests... used to and still do cover all my wire rests with moleskin. Of course I prefer to wait for close shots too, but I'm amazed at what some folks can get away with noise wise. Maybe others are shooting tame deer and ours here are wild....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My Whisker Biscuit make no noise when i draw my bow slow. If people would shoot a bow with poundage they could handle comfortably and draw slow without having to jerk it back because of using Bows way to strong for them then most rest wouldn't spook a deer especially the Whisker Biscuit. I used to be into this macho chit when it came to my bow 75 lbs or more and now shoot a 50 to 60 lb set on 58 lbs and have not shot one deer or hogs that i didn't get complete penetration and have to hunt for my arrow after it zipped through .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
If your good reason it is a band aid then I agree with you. What do you consider accurate? Because I have yet to see a tournament archer use a WB. If it is so damn good and accurate then they would be using them. They don't. A rest is exactly that a device made to rest the arrow on during draw, with the least amount of contact to the arrow as possiable. As to when is it freezing during hunting season well here in CT we hunt till the middle of Jan and yes there are many cold, wet, snowy, and crappy days. No matter how you stack a WB it is a band aid period. If you like it and want to shoot it so be it. But that doesn't make it a good thing.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bea175
My Whisker Biscuit make no noise when i draw my bow slow. If people would shoot a bow with poundage they could handle comfortably and draw slow without having to jerk it back because of using Bows way to strong for them then most rest wouldn't spook a deer especially the Whisker Biscuit. I used to be into this macho chit when it came to my bow 75 lbs or more and now shoot a 50 to 60 lb set on 58 lbs and have not shot one deer or hogs that i didn't get complete penetration and have to hunt for my arrow after it zipped through .

I don't draw heavy like I used to... And I have used a whisker biscuit as has my nephew and I even warned him not to... then he calls one night, the doe heard me drawing.... Deer here at least, can hear your clothes move when you go to draw. Why? I don't know. Could it be so far south that there is very little hair on their ears, especially in bow season and they don't have to survive a hard winter so their hearing is not nearly as blocked as deer that have to survive a winter? I don't know. Why do our deer duck or jump the string so bad compared to other states I've hunted in? I don't know that either, and it can't be due to use of feeders because I've shot a number of deer in places that never used feeders, and they were shot on trails from bedding to feeding areas so they were in nature so to speak, not used to coming to feeders....

My draw is around 60 pounds give or take the last time I weighed it. My test is that its too heavy if you can't put both feet side by side touching, IE legs together, and push the bow STRAIGHT out in front of you, not to your side and SLOWLY draw all the way to anchor without lunging, or having to push the bow to the sky to do it.

YMMV though as they say. We are probably what I call in the same book and chapter but not same page.. much as we are still comparing apples to apples but different species of apples....

You compare our deer, to the mule deer I"ve hunted with a bow years ago.... where my buddy had a springy rest, bare metal wire, with AL shafts( and that might be a key, most folks shoot carbon, but when I had a WB I still shot AL) and the deer would not do a thing when he drew. And the one deer I shot at something like 42 yards, watched the arrow come in all the way till it killed him....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
If your good reason it is a band aid then I agree with you. What do you consider accurate? Because I have yet to see a tournament archer use a WB. If it is so damn good and accurate then they would be using them. They don't. A rest is exactly that a device made to rest the arrow on during draw, with the least amount of contact to the arrow as possiable. As to when is it freezing during hunting season well here in CT we hunt till the middle of Jan and yes there are many cold, wet, snowy, and crappy days. No matter how you stack a WB it is a band aid period. If you like it and want to shoot it so be it. But that doesn't make it a good thing.

I didn't realize an arrow rest discussion could evoke such emotion...lighten up Francis. Your last sentence is patently incorrect. If the OP likes it and wants to shoot it, then it IS a good thing.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone ever had to let down and wait for a better shot? It sure seems like the WB would really stand out for that. Also how do we know exactly what alerted the deer? Maybe it wasn't the rest.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
90% of the time it is movement that spooks the deer not the rest you are using on your bow. My opinion is, use what works for you and your setup.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I've had to let down and wait many times. I shoot a Trophy Taker Shakey Hunter fall away rest, and haven't had any problems with the arrow coming off on draw, or let down. Being able to let down without the arrow jumping off the rest is another reason to shoot lower poundage. Like rost495 I'm shooting about 60 pounds, and can draw, and let down, with the bow straight out in front with a smooth motion.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
No it doesn't make it a good thing because someone wants to use it. By design it is a POS. It does everything you don't want a rest to do. If someone wants to use it that is their choice to do so. But does not make it a good product or choice of equipment. Sorry you can't comprehend that. There is no emotion about it, the OP wanted to know what people think of it. I gave the OP the straight scoop on it. What are you offering to the OP??????

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
No it doesn't make it a good thing because someone wants to use it. By design it is a POS. It does everything you don't want a rest to do. If someone wants to use it that is their choice to do so. But does not make it a good product or choice of equipment. Sorry you can't comprehend that. There is no emotion about it, the OP wanted to know what people think of it. I gave the OP the straight scoop on it. What are you offering to the OP??????

In my first post, I offered to the OP a simple and succinct answer to the question he presented.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for your answer. I like mine.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Try a QAD - Quality Achery Design totally captive fall away and you will throw that WB in the trash (where it belongs)

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
According to some of you guys, it's a wonder that anyone kills anything with a WB on thier bow because it's so noisy and it ain't accurate for crapola....but yet I can't remember the last critter I missed including two turkeys this spring and who knows how many over the last several years, 4 of the last 5 years elk including a 320" bull, forget how many whitetails inclduing 170" buck, and don't forget the last two antelope including one at 61 yards even with COC broadhead, and a few grouse thrown in for good measure...I wonder how it's even possible.

I know,.....luck...just plane 'ol luck.....and a whole lot of it!

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Its fine for hunting (though I wont use one) but you wont find any competition shooters using one. wink

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Most competition shooters use what the company that sponsors them makes

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Why do you think WB dont sponsor competition shoots?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by TRnCO
According to some of you guys, it's a wonder that anyone kills anything with a WB on thier bow because it's so noisy and it ain't accurate for crapola....but yet I can't remember the last critter I missed including two turkeys this spring and who knows how many over the last several years, 4 of the last 5 years elk including a 320" bull, forget how many whitetails inclduing 170" buck, and don't forget the last two antelope including one at 61 yards even with COC broadhead, and a few grouse thrown in for good measure...I wonder how it's even possible.

I know,.....luck...just plane 'ol luck.....and a whole lot of it!

I have seen a lot of crude, rough, designed poorly, you name it things work. Doesn't make them GOOD.

I would argue that the WB isn't just good, it is the BEST. I would throw all the drop-away garbage in the trash before I considered giving up the Biscuit.

Last edited by 340WA; 05/25/11.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 2500HD, 12344mag, 257 roberts, 204guy, 56 invisible), 2,282 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,506
Posts18,509,299
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.