Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
WB is the best rest I've ever used. I always had to watch my game and the rest to make sure the arrow didn't fall off when I drew back and spook game. Don't even look at the arrow now. Deer walks off without a shot and I can let the arrow down with ease. 1 less thing to worry about.

Ken

Last edited by firearms44; 05/26/11.
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Things must have changed over the last 35 yeras or so... I never had to watch an arrow while drawing on an animal, I always watch the animal. I"ve never had an arrow come off a rest.

As to spooking and movement, yes thats the case, but for me, I don't draw until the head is in a position where it can't see my movement. The last thing I want here, at least for our deer, is to be aware something moved or happened, I need a totally relaxed deer. Even at that we've had deer move totally out of the way before the arrow arrives, and this typically at under 20 yards. Even had a guy hit one on the flip side as it spun out of the way to run.

So I know that movement doesn't get me. Especially since I started using ground blinds. They simply can't see movement there unless you do stupid things.

Its the long drawn out noise of a slow arrow drawn. A short noise usually doesn't do anything, but a long same noise is not normal in the woods.

I test them if its wind still by dragging my shirt sleeve against chest or pants leg to simulate a draw. If they look up each time I do that, then I have to wait for a plane to fly over, wind to blow, a car to drive by if close enough to some road etc.... other than that I"ve watched deer when its been so still that you simply know you will never be able to draw your bow.

As noted to before we get into huge fights, it certainly seems that different animals will accept different things. Some accept movement, some accept noise and so on. Feral hogs here.. movement spooks them worse than noise every last time. They can't see well and if they see you move, they have not clue and are on full alert. But you could make noise while drawing, and while their hearing is very good, it seems not to bother them much if at all.

Granted no one is saying a WB is target grade rest. And if it were not for the noise, for my applications of short range shot they'd be just fine. Of course this comes from someone that waxes their shafts and puts moleskin on the arrow rest so that the draw is as quiet as possibly can be.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I got caught up in the Drop Away Rest craze which is mostly a sale gimmick and not worth the price they sell for. . When hunting, simple is usually the best and that is why the WB is so successful and used by so many hunters. The may be crude to some, but they work.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
crude? Crude is a shelf with beaver skin on it like my Brackenbury... Still works fine.

I"ve never owned a drop away and dont' intend to if I can avoid it. But like I said, if it works for you... just don't assume it works for everyone and every situation.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Interesting posts. I am just getting back into archery, and I need a new rest. Everyone said I have to get a drop away. I am currently using a Golden Key, with "grasshopper" arms. They no longer make those arms though, and they are worn out. Time to upgrade. Never considered the WB though...

I do not like the drop away concept simply because I don't like the string tied to the cable etc. Just seems like one more thing to F-up when I am in the middle of nowhere.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
for Colorado type deer, I wouldn't worry about the WB. From the bowhunting I've done there, you can draw an AL arrow along bare metal fingers and get away with it generally....

WB wont' be too loud for your deer, plus you most likely won't be on the short side of 10 yards like I typically am when I shoot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IMO the WB is one of the finest HUNTING rests out there.

I always used various launcher and drop away rests and was convinced the WB was a poor joke. When I bought a used bow it came with a WB installed. Before the bow even arrived I had ordered 2 different drop away rests for it so I could [bleep] the POS WB as soon as it came.
Well the bow came and I decided to shoot it before I made the switch.
Several years later the 2 drop aways are still in the drawer and the WB is on the bow.

Maybe my hearing is bad but I can't hear any noise when I draw if I'm using a nice slick Beman ICS Hunter or the GT Pro.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
So the fletch going through the whiskers doesn't slow it down, or tear up the arrow?

thanks.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
No but they say feathers work best.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Feathers? I am no caveman, haha.

I think you guys have me sold. Might buy one. I now need to decide if I am going to continue with my xx78's, or use carbons. I went carbons for awhile, but went back to xx78s after having a couple carbons explode while releasing. Must have been cracked and I didn't see it, but it still happened.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
They work great with vanes.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I love mine. I know its probably not the "new" thing anymore, but for hunting I couldn't find a rest that I liked any better.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Just seems like one more thing to F-up when I am in the middle of nowhere.

Dunno - I shoot a fall away as does my dad and brother. Brother probably shoots somewhere in the neighborhood of 800 arrows a week, year round.

NEVER had an issue. I fret it not.

ETA: That said - I've used the WB - it does absolutely NOTHING my fall away doesn't do. I see no advantage at all. I knock an arrow, give the string a tug to set the rest and my arrow can't fall out in any fashion at all.

Like this - where's it gonna go?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Me

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
aha, a SMART moleskin man too!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Seriously good stuff - that particular set up is a Matthews SQ2 I bought the year they came out. I sold it to my father about 5 years ago - his rig now. I currently shoot a Growler rigged exactly the same, dig it. My brother just picked up a Matthews Z7 Tactical. SWEET rig but I'll stick with the Growler for a bit. Just got my son a Menace - GREAT little bow. Uber adjustable.

Me

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I"m old school... brackenbury recurve these days if I get time. Newest bow is a 91 or 92 PSE FireFlight. Between the 2, have killed everything that I had a right to. The high tech stuff of the compound years ago got to simple though. Pretty easy to zip a deer if they were in range. Got boring.

Swapped to the recurve, life is challenging again.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Whisker Biscuit work , even a Cave Man know this

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They don't work here, at least not if being able to draw on a mature buck counts.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The WB worked just fine on a 14 point 245# buck at ~15 yards a coupla years ago.
Nice story too since it was the first time I ever took my daughter with me bowhunting.

She even spotted him first!

He never heard a thing and neither can I.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by nsaqam
The WB worked just fine on a 14 point 245# buck at ~15 yards a coupla years ago.
Nice story too since it was the first time I ever took my daughter with me bowhunting.

She even spotted him first!

He never heard a thing and neither can I.

Once again its simply a matter of your deer vs our deer. And 14 points and 245 doesn't mean mature, though I"d think close to it. I"ve seen deer with up to 13 points as 2.5 year old deer. I've also shot deer here that were(very big for us) around 225 on the hoof, that were 3. 5years old..... Those deer were young and stupid....

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

475 members (16gage, 10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 1lesfox, 52 invisible), 2,729 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,550
Posts18,510,298
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.