T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Whisker Bisquit is BEST IN THE WORLD!

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I didn't have the buck aged (Swampy would have said it was 20 years old though) but this was a natural, non fenced deer in a non agricultural area. No feeders, no food plots, no licks, just big woods. 245# dressed is even rather large here but they do get bigger.
If it wasn't mature it was darn close.

These deer are not hunted heavily so that may play into it but I still don't hear a thing when I draw my bow with a WB.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
LIke I said, works for you whose to say. And we tend to use what we know works.

As I've said I"m a close range hunter. Yes I hunt feeders at times, but generally I"m set up on trails these days and set up such that I have short range, not 30-40 yard shots. You can get away with things at 20-40 yards. You can't get away with a lot where I prefer to shoot which is 15 and less. Typically I"m under 10 yards. Last buck I killed rubbed on the tree I had my quiver on, and I had to grab it before he knocked it out and on top of him... I had to let him move down the trail a bit further before I could get a shot... less than 10 yards.

Kinda like does a 223 or 243 or 06 or 300 mag work on deer.. the answer is yes and no.

245 dressed must be meaning 300 something live. I'm not arguing age, just saying weight and points don't mean anything sometimes. Weight certainly meaning more than points. Used to laugh when folks thought a 14 point was 14 years old.....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
BTW, for the WB fans, how many animals have you taken with a WB? Just trying to see if its a long run of say 100 animals or so, or just say 10. That will answer some questions too.... At 10 animals in I thought I knew bowhunting. Boy was I WRONG.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you have plastic vanes; take a lighter and quickly move it back and forth the vane to slightly heat it up. Sometimes the vane will naturally go back to its original position, but other times your have to help straighten it out.

One who is a vegetarian is not living life too the fullest.
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
they work great for my bowhunting.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Junk, might as well glue a old tooth brush to your bow, the tooth brush may be a little better design!!

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you are stalking game through high grass, brush, on your hands and knees or belly crawling with your bow, a fall away or prong style rest is useless.

Not all bow hunting is done standing in a tree.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
If I am stalking I don't need to knock an arrow until I intend to draw. Like I have said before WB's work but that doesn't make them good! I don't think anyone on here is saying they don't work. Just that there are better options out there. If you like a WB and it gives you more confidence that is great.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Here is a pic of the new rest I invented, it is called the tooth biscuit arrow rest, and it is going to be a hot seller, patent pending.

Attached Images
001.JPG (51.44 KB, 621 downloads)

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
If I am stalking I don't need to knock an arrow until I intend to draw.

When you are moving up on a bugling elk or trying to stalk an antelope with a decoy you wait until you are ready to draw to knock an arrow?

Whatev. It's your deal.

If I were shooting 3D on weekends and spending my hunting season standing in a tree I wouldn't be using a WB either.

Just sayin'

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by LRW
Here is a pic of the new rest I invented, it is called the tooth biscuit arrow rest, and it is going to be a hot seller, patent pending.

ROTFLMFAO! That is great.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 99guy
If I am stalking I don't need to knock an arrow until I intend to draw.

When you are moving up on a bugling elk or trying to stalk an antelope with a decoy you wait until you are ready to draw to knock an arrow?

Whatev. It's your deal.

If I were shooting 3D on weekends and spending my hunting season standing in a tree I wouldn't be using a WB either.

Just sayin'

Yes when I stalked the to Prong horn I shot in WY I knocked my arrow 37 yards from the speed goat on the first one and 42 yards on the second. On my last elk I was 30 yards he bugled I knocked the arrow he turned I drew he turned back and looked right at me as I released the arrow. He never knew what hit him or that I was there, took three maybe four steps and fell over.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I see. Didn't realize no one stalked game unti Whisker Biscut came a long.

As shown my drop away rest basically makes it impossible for the arrow to be removed from the rest without tripping the rest (easy to do). In essence it does everything a WB does (which is basically just make it impossible for an arrow to come off) without having full contact on the shaft. IMO it's a heck of a lot easier to shoot consistantly when I don't have 500 different brushes hitting my arrow shaft for the full length of the shaft at release. Those same 500 brushes may or may not grip the next arrow the same.

If you like em - great, no skin off my nose but the OP asked opinions. I gave mine and will do so again. No advantage over a well designed fall away, and they have a disadvantage the fall away doesn't have. Thus I don't use em. YMMV

Last edited by teal; 05/29/11.

Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here's my 2 cents worth. I have been shooting a whisker biscuit for about the last 5 years. I used to shoot the old 2 prong rest (can't remember what it was called) but I shot with it for some 20 plus years. I like to keep things simple and try to think ahead of what possibly might go wrong before I get into the woods. The drop away rests looked interesting but I never bought or tried one due to the way they are lifted when drawing. I hunt alot and can imagine getting ready for a shot and finding the string that lifts the rest had caught on some branch or twig and the rest no longer functions. Much like the rubber on a peep sight. I have had no problems with the whisker biscuit and find it works well for me. I also lightly sand (0000 steel wool) and wax my carbon arrows before I hunt. Cuts down friction and noise. I guess it's like rifles/calibers etc. if it's working for you and it ain't broke don't fix it. Tom.

Last edited by TomA; 05/29/11.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have noting against drop or push away rest other than they are to expensive for the little benefit you might gain from using one., plus most people don't shoot good enough to see the difference in their shooting regardless of the rest they have on their bow. I like the Whisker Biscuit and it has never spooked a animal as of today , maybe in the future and it has worked every time. If the Whisker Biscuit had been around 200 years back it would have made shooting Bison from horse back much easier for the Indians

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is pretty funny. First I hunt very wild state land deer. They see every movement, they hear every sound, and they spook at the drop of a pin. Have never had any issues keeping my bow at the ready with arrow. I hunt both release and fingers. I use a luancher blade and Flipper with a plunger and have not a single issue with keeping the arrow on it. I don't read in the stand or do anything other then hunt. But you can sell whatever BS you want, I am not buying any.

MCH,

From your reply, it sounds like I insulted you. I sincerely apologize to you, sir. I meant no disrespect. Please forgive me.

However misguided the wording, I am genuinely curious how the fallaway rest works and retains an arrow with the bow laying on it's side.

Actually, I cannot shoot as accurately with the WB as with other shoot-through rests. Before the WB came out I used dual prong rests, one favorite being the Quick-Tune. To keep the arrow on the rest I used a device called a Sta-Put. It is a little rubber flipper that rests against the top of the arrow to hold it in place on the prongs. When the arrow is released, the Sta-Put flips forward-and-upward out of the way. They work pretty good, but not as foolproof and simple to setup as the WB.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
You didn't insult me. I think it is pretty funny that everyone thinks their deer are harder to kill then the next guys. Actually there is some merit to it but not nearly as much as guys think. I have been lucky enough to hunt deer and other game all over America.

I don't shoot a drop away rest either so I am not defending them either. They are however a step above a WB in my opinion.

As I stated earlier I use a launcher blade or prongs on my release bow and a Flipper rest with plunger on my finger bow.

Nobody can shoot as accurately with a WB because there is just to much contact with the arrow. Which is exactly why a WB isn't a good product. I know it is a hard concept to grasp for some on here. I personally just don't see any reason to shoot a WB.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Come on now,a 14 pt. 245 lb. dressed buck is just a baby, probably still had spots. I like my WB, but then again I'm lucky enough to only hunt dumb deer.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Still toying with getting one. They are cheap so if it doesn't work, no biggie. I like the simplicity of them. I am going on a remote elk hunt this fall, would be nice not to have bells and whistles all over my bow. I don't even shoot a peep though, I like to keep it basic.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 2500HD, 12344mag, 257 roberts, 204guy, 57 invisible), 2,290 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,506
Posts18,509,299
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.