Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Ringman Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Here is a photo of the recoil pad and space for the hydrolic shock to work. It took all day to make up a fixture so all the holes were in the right places and parallel. The shock is about 3/4" diameter with a 1/2" travel. The kick pad is the original Decelerator.

[Linked Image]

Here is a photo of the muzle brake I made. It only took a couple hours.

[Linked Image]

Here is a photo of the barrel stamp. I don't call it a .375-8mm Rem Mag because more folks are familiar with the .416 Rem.

[Linked Image]

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As long as it works that is all that matters. And it looks pretty damn good to me.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have you had a chance to try 'er out?

Intersesting chambering - can't say as I've ever seen another.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Ringman,

Is that the Danuser unit?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds basically like a .375 AI. What's the recoil like without the reduction devices?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I can't tell from the pic, but is there any angle (rearward) on those ports ?

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cool

going to shoot some rats with it?

grin

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Its gonna over-penetrate

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Darn your right

I guess you have to line up fifty rats then shoot them

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Winnie1300
Darn your right

I guess you have to line up fifty rats then shoot them

they'llthink its thunder

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The ports are angled backward about eleven degrees. That's all I could get in the fixture I had at the time. The bottom holes came later. Upon firing it the presure pushed the barrel down a lot. I started with a couple small holes and worked up till it was about level after firing it. This is the third brake. I know from experience thin wall brakes are practically useless. If there are slots in line with the bore, they are practically useless. Also bigger holes are better than smaller holes. Must be some physics in there somewhere.

Have you had a chance to try 'er out?

When I first worked up the duplex load I took another fellow to the range who wanted to do some chronographing. This was many years ago before everyone and his brother had one. He had a nice 7X57 firing 175 grainers. His scope was way nicer than my Bushnell 5-20X being as how it was a Geman made. The name started with a "K". Anyway I fired three and the chrono read 3,006, 2,999 and 3,005 feet per second. He casually asked, "What do those bullets weigh?" "Three hundred grains," I told him. He got very excieted and almost shouted, "That's a rinocerous gun!"

It's been used for deer, jack rabbits, and elk. It likes elk. I fired five tiems and killed five elk. we always hope thing work out like that. Also I blasted some water filled one gallon milk jugs. For the first few hundred shots I did lots of three shot groups at 100 yards. This barrel is very accurate. I fired many, many 3/8" groups with it at full throttle. The best three shot group, though, was with spendy G.S.Customs when they came out. I fired three and the group was slightly oval shaped. It was only 1/16" out of round. So I fired another it opened up to 5/16" and the fifth increased it some more, but I don't remember to what. I did fire a 3/4" at 300 with those bullets once.

I don't know what "the Danuser unit" is.

What's the recoil like without the reduction devices?

When I used to used duplex loads I was able to get over 3,000 feet per second with the 300 grain Sierra. According to my calculations with 100 grians of powder at 5,500 feet per second and a 300 grain bullet at 3,000 feet per second fired from an eleven pound rifle I get about 60 foot/pounds of free recoil energy. I think that is about the same as a .458 Win Mag. Maybe someone here can help out.

going to shoot some rats with it?

One time I decided to use it deer hunting. I took it to the range and fired three from off hand. The group was 6". Then I fired three at 300 yards from sitting position. Again the group measured 6". One of the shooters asked, "How does it do from the bench"? I put a fresh target at about 500 yards and fired one group. It measured 2 7/8". The guy exclaimed, "That's a .375 squirrel gun!" I just might take it rock chuck hunting this year.

Everyday Hunter
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Ringman

I don't know what "the Danuser unit" is.

The hydraulic recoil reducer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i can vouch from personal experience with the rifle that it is huge, ugly, and works great. it performs better when held like a rimfire than a centerfire, and packs a real wallop on the receiving end of the lead. fun gun to shoot. i would love to ghost some squirrels with it.

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
magumdood,

It's been more than twenty-five years since I did the rifle. I hope that works for an excuse for not remembering. It is adjustable and about 3"-4" long.

I forgot about how I set it. First I set it on the softest and fired one: At that did was give it a running start at my shoulder. Then I set it to the other end and determined that was too much. Finally got it right.

Everyday Hunter
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The picture was kind of fuzzy, but it looked like the center post is the actual hydraulic ram. Does it adjust by turning it either clockwise or counter clockwise, then locks in place with a little set screw? The other two rods are guides that go into the stock as the ram is depressed when the rifle is fired.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Ringman
When I first worked up the duplex load I took another fellow to the range who wanted to do some chronographing. This was many years ago before everyone and his brother had one. He had a nice 7X57 firing 175 grainers. His scope was way nicer than my Bushnell 5-20X being as how it was a Geman made. The name started with a "K".

Kahles? Bt that's an Austrian outfit, though, I think.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Magnumdood,

The adjustment was on the other end.

kamo_gari,

Kahles! That's it. I think it was a fixed power. the color was spetacular compared to my scope.

Everyday Hunter

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (12savage, 1936M71, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 53 invisible), 2,559 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,679
Posts18,474,913
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.