Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#5294199 06/01/11
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anyone else bowfish on here???? I would like to start a picture thread for this season. I have yet to get out, waiting for the carp to start spawning. But here is a pic of my new rig....

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Save Some Elk, Shoot A Wolf...........
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice! I'm also a bow fisher. I don't have any pics of my current set-up, but will soon. I made the switch from compounds to recurve, also switched from the AMS to a Muzzy reels, purely for the speed of shooting/retrieve. I like the looks of your gear though. I'll probably set up another compound in the future as a loaner for my buddies though, and probably with another AMS on it too.

A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life.

The King of Battle!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hey Tyson, I was thinking about setting up another bow with the muzzy reel on it... Does it use regular fishing line? Mono, Braid??? How does it work with the safety slide?

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I love to bowfish....but sadly haven't in years. My rig was and still is a Hoyt Pro-hunter recurve ro a Grayling, Bear, Black Bear. I've never owned a compound.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I haven't shot a fish in a couple of years, I stay to busy driving the airboat watching my nephews and their friends shoot. But its a hoot.

I am still torn between an AMS and a Muzzy and may well try the Muzzy next. River is fast shooting and you miss lots of chances with the AMS...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I bowfish less than I used to but still really enjoy it. Mainly because it doesnt matter if they are biting.

I shoot a Martin Mamba with a Spinit real and 200# fast flight. We shoot spponbill upwards of 100 lbs so gotta have the fastflight.

Joseph

Joseph
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by okiebowhunter
I bowfish less than I used to but still really enjoy it. Mainly because it doesnt matter if they are biting.

I shoot a Martin Mamba with a Spinit real and 200# fast flight. We shoot spponbill upwards of 100 lbs so gotta have the fastflight.

Joseph
That would be insane 100lbs. I would love to do that! I really want to shoot some big gar but there isnt any in Wyoming frown

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wyohunter99
Hey Tyson, I was thinking about setting up another bow with the muzzy reel on it... Does it use regular fishing line? Mono, Braid??? How does it work with the safety slide?

I use Fast Flight line on mine, that comes in 150 and 200 lb. I use the 150. Don't use MONO, if you get the Muzzy reel, it will come with Mono on it, even their directions say to strip it off. On my current set up, I left some on as a backer, and only put on 50 yds. of the Fast Flight (150lb comes in a 100 yard roll, but does not all fit onto the reel anyway).

Other guys I know use 80 lb or heavier Power Pro. The problem with the PP is that if you wrap your fingers in it pulling in a fish it will cut you... somtimes to the bone, almost like a razor. NOT GOOD, you will bleed all over your boat! LOL So if you go the PP route I would suggest something in the very high poundage range.

But the Fast Flight is much cheaper and safer to use.

Also, just remember to keep the button pushed, 150 pound line snaps like a twig when you shoot an arrow with out the button pushed. Same if you accidently get your line wrapped on the reel handle... Trust me I found out the hard way last weekend. Lost 2 arrows in about 10 minutes because I was being distracted by texts and phone calls, first time line wrapped on the handle, second time forgot to push the button on the reel. Another way to help the button push problem is to have the drag set all the way down, the line will spool off still if you forget the button, and you shouldnt loose an arrow (hopefully), then if you get a fish, just spin the drag and bring it in.

The Muzzy reel works just fine with the safety slides too. Just like the AMS I used to shoot. I would never shoot any fishing bow with out the slides.

A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life.

The King of Battle!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If anyone is wondering I shoot a 45lb 1966 (Pretty sure it's my older one... I have 2 of this bow a 66 and 68) Fred Bear Grizzly recurve with a Cajun reel seat, Muzzy reel, 150 lb. Fast Flight line, No-gloves, and shoot off the shelf with sticky back velcro (the fuzzy/loop side) as a shelf protector.

The bow has been refinished by a previous owner, so i don't feel bad for using a "classic". my 1968 (the newer of the two) is all original and in near new condition. Rarely gets shot, never will be anywhere near water.

Anyway the recurve Works great for me, very light weight for long days on the water, plenty of power and speed for fish in my area.

I may be setting up a Sky take down recurve soon too. Waiting for it to show up, so i can decide if it will be too nice (probalby) to drag around in the boat as a back-up shooter.

The King of Battle!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Just got started bowfishing, and started getting things figured out when they deceided to remove the damn in the river to save the salmon. Lost the fishin spot, Lost the duck huntin spot blah blah blah

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, finally made it out to our honey hole Saturday and today!!! Tons of carp there gettin ready to spawn we ended up shootin a little over 60 with some real nice one! The new bow worked awesome but my right index finger is pretty tore up, it kept piching it even with the no gloves. Any suggestions? Here is a picture of some of the trophies... The one in the middle towards the bottom was prolly close to 20 lbs... [Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
For fingers... if they are sore you ain't shooting enough practice... I never use a glove or tab or anything on my 62 pound recurve for hunting. I can't get the right feel with any of the above so I build up my calous and just shoot.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
my fingers are gtg it kept riping skin off at the base and side of my finger nail???? kinda like a hang nail...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Never had that. Maybe an area you need to hit with pumice stone to aleviate a hihg spot that catches?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
could I put all the "no gloves" all together instead of being split, so the arrow would be above my fingers?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
wyohunter99,

I was going to make several suggestions until I got to the post will the picture of all the fish and realized you don't need any help. Then you asked for suggestions in the fish post so I am back to wanting to make suggestions again.

First, your fingers are pinched because you are shooting a very short bow. I understand a short bow is nice for maneuverability, but a longer bow would alieviate some of the pinch and lost skin.

Second, yes you can shoot with three fingers below the arrow. I did it for years with my trad bows, and I know many other guys that shoot that way. HOWEVER, you might not be able to get your really short bow to shoot straight with three fingers under. That style usually works better with longer bows, like longbows and the longer recurves. But there is no harm in trying it though. For three-under, I suggest you move your string nocking point about a half-inch higher on the string. I would also suggest you lose the whisker biscuit before trying three-under, which leads me to my next suggestion.

Third, the whisker biscuit is not really ideal for shooting with fingers. This is what I wanted to say most before seeing all your fish success. Releasing a bowstring with fingers causes the arrow to flex and move a LOT before it leaves the bow. This is called archers paradox, and I would think you will eventually wear out or break arrows by forcing them through that confined biscuit. I was going to suggest you swap the whisker biscuit for a Center-Rest or other "shoot-around" rest setup like a Flipper Rest coupled with a berger button. This might be even more important now that you want to try shooting with three fingers under the nock.

But again, I cannot, and should not, argue with success. You do whatever you want that works for you. You don't have to listen to old duffers like me that think they know something but in reality probably don't know half as much as I think I know. Best of luck and continued success to you.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by wyohunter99
Well, finally made it out to our honey hole Saturday and today!!! Tons of carp there gettin ready to spawn we ended up shootin a little over 60 with some real nice one! The new bow worked awesome but my right index finger is pretty tore up, it kept piching it even with the no gloves. Any suggestions? Here is a picture of some of the trophies... The one in the middle towards the bottom was prolly close to 20 lbs... [Linked Image]

Nice mess of carp there.

heading out this weekend

60 Martin Hatfield recurve

Try 3 fingers under

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the info big red.... I am going to try the 3 under if that doesnt help I may just use a release...

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
OK. Here's a few.

BAA Louisiana State Record Common Carp: 28lbs 8oz
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

NRA Endowment member, BAA Lifer, USPSA Life member, SCSA Life member, ICORE

To teach those that don't know, To remind those that do Know, To correct those that think they know.
-Helio Gracie
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
More:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

NRA Endowment member, BAA Lifer, USPSA Life member, SCSA Life member, ICORE

To teach those that don't know, To remind those that do Know, To correct those that think they know.
-Helio Gracie
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 65 invisible), 2,459 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,195
Posts18,524,073
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.