-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I will bet money the basis was the 8.15xsomething R, which was some kind of weird rimmed target round in gun-controlled Thirties Deutschland. You have a prize there, regardless, a prewar commercial Genyoowyne Paul Mauser Oberndorf 98 action. Dunno about the bottom metal. And dunno on the extractor. You need to find someone with a conventional bolt and see if the bolt face and other metal are compatible with a standard extractor.
If so, you have the guts for a "super-sporter" -- while I wouldn't do a Eurosporter per se, I'd try to make a darn nice 257 Roberts. One warning...getting the glass mounted properly is probably going to hurt your wallet.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

I adjusted the color on your pic.

I have ~ 50 Orberndorf actions, and I might trade any of them for that one.

I can bend or weld bolts and I can put on scope mounts, but that one has a double trigger.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
O
Ozarks Online Content OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Thanks for the photo editing Clark, I do appreciate that. My photo skills are sorely lacking...

I haven't decided what I want to do yet with it build wise, so I may be open for a trade depending on what I settle on for caliber.

I have not ever had a rifle with a double trigger, so I don't know whether to be happy about that or not!

Any idea when serial number 1118XX was made?

The bottom metal is serial numbered to the action, so that is a nice feeling thinking it is all original. I do like the floorplate release inside the trigger guard.

I am stumped by the weird rear scope or sight mount, that appears to be part of the action itself, not soldered on. I can see no lines so it appears to be one with the action. No holes or mount on the forward side of the action, just a knurled look with the Mauser logo.

Thanks!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I like DST's, have them on a couple of rifles and have another set ready to go into the current Mauser build. If you haven't used them they can take some getting used to but they become second nature quickly. Some guys like them, some guys don't.

That rear mount is indeed integral with the action and is 1/2 of a typical vintage German QD scope mount system. The front mount is located on the barrel right in front of the receiver ring. Finding/fitting the rings that fit those mounts can be frustrating, but not impossible. Just, dear God, don't grind that square bridge off!!! (And don't drill into that Mauser banner on the Receiver ring!!!)

Last edited by gnoahhh; 06/03/11.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Ozarks.....pm sent.

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Ozarks,

Talk about finding diamonds in the coal!

From Speed's book I would say 1932-1933.

What are the proof markings? thanks...jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
O
Ozarks Online Content OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Thanks to all those helping ID. Several of you ask for proof mark pics. I got my son to take some picures of the proof marks and the odd extractor. The extractor is serial number correct to the action, but may have been modified by the looks of it.

Their is some pitting right where the proof marks are on the action, so hard to see. Also, took a picture of the bottom metal because their was a proof mark under the serial number there also.

The photo showing the last four digits of serial number with proof marks is from the bolt handle where it meets the bolt body.

Thanks for the help.

Attached Images
photo7.JPG (36.11 KB, 238 downloads)
photo8.JPG (36.47 KB, 258 downloads)
photo9.JPG (37.94 KB, 227 downloads)
photo10.JPG (23.41 KB, 797 downloads)
photo11.JPG (32.89 KB, 193 downloads)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Still looks like it was chambered for a rimmed cartridge to me.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, I think 8.15x46R. OTOH, that picture (fuzzy, darn it) looks like the extractor was nibbled by an amateur. If that's the case, then all it will take is a new extractor. The other thing...the collector value really isn't there now that the action is apart.
I wonder if the least-crazy option is to just go ahead and try to get a base/ring for the back end and put a "normal" ring on the front (reasonably cosmetically matched of course).
Getting "correct" optics for that thing would be a royal pain anyway.
So, have fun, Ozarks, and congratulations. Let us know when you do that thing justice.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
One more PM about proof marks... grin

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LRF
You should be able to get a new extractor without much trouble if you need one. Any 98 mauser should fit.
That may be an original square bridge commercial Mauser which are very nice (without being able to see it very well).
I have a pre 64 model 70 we could trade on..complete rifle. Got to try.... LOL

Brownells pretty much has all the Mauser parts you need, an extra length extractor too.

GOA
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,445
Posts18,489,618
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.