Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have a trapper/16in SS/lam 45/70, as yet unfired. Getting ready to start loading for it. I am undecided about sights. I have and like XS sights on my 30/30 trapper (also their scout mount) but I'm also considering (but have never used) the Skinner sight. Any opinions?

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I really liked my Skinner but I had to replace the front post also. Mine shot about 8" high at 35yds. They are very well built and good looking sights.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Skinner will build them to your specs and he is a nice guy...I have issues with XS and customer service...I have an older ported Guide Gun and they can't or won't help me with a front sight for the ported guns and the service person was rude.Firesight front for now on my end.

Jayco

T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by logcutter
Skinner will build them to your specs and he is a nice guy...I have issues with XS and customer service...I have an older ported Guide Gun and they can't or won't help me with a front sight for the ported guns and the service person was rude.Firesight front for now on my end.

Jayco

They've always talked my ear off everytime I've called them. I've called about shotgun sights, scout mounts, levergun sights, you name it.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I don't have any experience with the Skinner as I'm very happy with the XS ghostrings that came on my SBL. I like the damn things so much that I think it's going into the woods sans optics this year.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

Jayco

They've always talked my ear off everytime I've called them. I've called about shotgun sights, scout mounts, levergun sights, you name it.

Same here, XS has never been anything but incredibly helpful.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got a Wild West guns ghost ring rear site and a Williams Firesight in red with a nickel plated sight guard on the front of my XLR.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
That's basically what I have on my Guide gun now,I just wanted to "try" the XS front sight in place of the fragile firesight.The firesight just seems fragile to me and appears to be easy to break,although I have not broken one.

According to XS,since mine is one of the original ported models which they don't make anymore,I will have to have one specially made and that's where Skinner comes in...He said no problem..But with my aging eyes,I think I'll just leave the scope on and call it good.

Jayco

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by liliysdad
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

Jayco

Same here, XS has never been anything but incredibly helpful.

Yep, the guys at XS were great when I needed their help getting ghost ring sights for my 35 Rem. At the time most companies were having a hard time getting the front sight height correct on 35 Rem. 336's, the sight height is different then the 30-30 Win. XS told me to order the set they had for the 35 Rem. and if I needed a different front sight to send it back and they would send me another sight to try and refund all shipping cost. I had to send the first sight back. I happen to mention at the time I'd like a smaller aperture then the two that come with the set. They sent me the aperture at no charge. I called to pay for it, they told me not to worry about it. It was for my inconvenience of having to send the first set back and if I needed anything

The guy at Skinner told me I'd have to BUY DIFFERENT FRONT SIGHTS for the 35 Rem. to find the correct height for my rifle, like everyone else did. I asked if I'd get a refund on the sights that weren't correct. The guy I talked to said he couldn't give me a refund on used products. Like it was my fault they couldn't send me the correct product. They should have done the same thing XS did. I'll stick with XS.

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I personally like a DRC winged rear with a Brockman's Gen III front. The sight picture is very similar to an M16A2.

"Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (1Longbow, 257Bob, 12344mag, 260Remguy, 25classic, 2500HD, 56 invisible), 2,702 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,294
Posts18,486,992
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.