Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W

Hi BSA Hunter,

No, i had no malfunction at all, even with the french GPA which are rather blunt. I shot also Partizan (20)and some french loaded (factory) Barnes TSX 150grs (20, trying to jam the 303. No problem. From the sitting, standing or prone position. I'm not a fan of Sauer semi auto but as a tester i tried to do my best and push it to its limits (no torture test here it's hunting rifle)making the barrel get very hot or holding the rifle "softly to have it jam: nothing bad happened. I'm waiting a batch of the new Winchester 7x64 with 162grs power point bullet, and new Remmis and Federal too. Will test them for accuracy and reliability. Will post pictures when it's done.
Dom

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
HR IC

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Question: Why?

I saw the article in Rifle Magazine which raised more questions than answers. Maybe I missed something, the wife was knocking on the bathroom door, so I had to hurry. What's it do exactly that makes it worth the $$$? From what I saw it's fuggly, in a classy sort of way, has horrible open sights, and almost made me want to read the rest of the article. Why would I buy one rather than a Browning BAR or Remington 750?

That 50 yard group was nice - but I can match that group with any number of revolvers in my safe. Even my Ranch Rifle can do that well. So what's it do exactly that's better than any other rifle?

More marketing hype? Probably. Sorry to rain on the parade, but it appears to be another Blazer - interesting but a fringe product.

Last edited by WranglerJohn; 06/09/11.
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W

I don't know prices in the US.
1:Here all Sauer are expensive and price is maximum price including a tax of 19,6%...We can find cheaper
2:There is not a single 50yards group on my targets: 100m around 110yards and 200m (220yd) with Norma Accubond.
3:The sights you find horrible are really effective sights for driven hunt as we practice mostly in Europe, where game is shot on the run and sometime very fast with really short window to aim. They can be adjusted too, for windage and elevation.
4:They are also very effective on a big dangerous game rifle and i used the same to hunt buffalos with my mod 71 .50Ak...
5:You're not obliged to buy one, i ain't got one too.
6: I owned 2 Ranch mini14 and liked them; but none of them was able to such accuracy with factory cartridges and 5 power scope at 200m without lot of work.

We know also very well the 750 and BAR in Europe and use them for long years. You will be surprised to learn that Remington was making batches of 35Whelen 7400 for France and Greece and they were not even on the US catalog.
If people want to buy it why not. That's freedom of choice. I don't own nor like the Blaser but they are very accurate and easy to travel with, quick barrel change is good to.
For me, at the moment, the only semi auto centerfire rifle i own is an old Ruger 44Mag with tubular mag...

I posted because i know some of euro products are not well known in the USA and though it could interest some members on the fire. I did'nt know about the paper of JB; i resigned my Rifle subscription when all the good writers left some years ago. Now it seems JB's back, may be i will re subscribe.
Have a good day
Dom

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Marseille

1:Here all Sauer are expensive and price is maximum price including a tax of 19,6%...We can find cheaper
2:There is not a single 50yards group on my targets: 100m around 110yards and 200m (220yd) with Norma Accubond.
3:The sights you find horrible are really effective sights for driven hunt as we practice mostly in Europe, where game is shot on the run and sometime very fast with really short window to aim. They can be adjusted too, for windage and elevation.
4:They are also very effective on a big dangerous game rifle and i used the same to hunt buffalos with my mod 71 .50Ak...
6: I owned 2 Ranch mini14 and liked them; but none of them was able to such accuracy with factory cartridges and 5 power scope at 200m without lot of work.

We know also very well the 750 and BAR in Europe and use them for long years. You will be surprised to learn that Remington was making batches of 35Whelen 7400 for France and Greece and they were not even on the US catalog.
If people want to buy it why not. That's freedom of choice. I don't own nor like the Blaser but they are very accurate and easy to travel with, quick barrel change is good to.
For me, at the moment, the only semi auto centerfire rifle i own is an old Ruger 44Mag with tubular mag...

I posted because i know some of euro products are not well known in the USA and though it could interest some members on the fire. I did'nt know about the paper of JB; i resigned my Rifle subscription when all the good writers left some years ago. Now it seems JB's back, may be i will re subscribe.
Have a good day
Dom

Thanks for your posts, Dom. They are always informative and interesting. Your perspective, not just as a European, but as a hunter and shooter with a lot of experience, is greatly appreciated. Please keep the posts coming. Oh, and my Mother's maiden name is Picard and I've spent some time in Europe (born and stationed in Germany as a US servicemember and the son of a US servicemember) so I've got a soft spot for Europe.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Have a good day
Dom

Dom, I'm glad you posted this review of this rifle. I've never seen one and find it quite intriguing since I am a new owner of my first semi-auto big game hunting rifle (the model 100 in the earlier post). I have always been a bolt action guy and the semi-auto is a nice change and very fun to shoot. I watch the guys on youtube shoot those wild boars in Hungary and think man my dad would probably love to go back to his native land and do some of that (he's full blooded Hungarian and proud of it grin). Thanks again for posting.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W

Thank you Expat, thank you BSA,

Those hunts in Hungary are really fantastic but can cost you (and me too) lots of money. Hungary with its real good game management and game laws is a great place for big red deer, roes or fantastic driven hunts but it's expensive to the boot. My father is also Hungarian (passed away 2 years ago).At the end of "cold war" the hungarian government gave him back some family land but to get the right to hunt on we must have 3000 hectares on one full batch or must enter an hunting club which is more management than hunting. Only the real wealthy guys (like during the communist days) or the foreigners with some money to spend, really enjoy those TV hunts...May be it why they can have such quantities of game and trophy...You can have great driven hunt experiences in Poland too for less money.
Did your father left in 56? Mine surrender to Patton Army in Vienna in 45 then joined the Foreign Legion and fought in Indochina and Algeria...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Thank you Expat, thank you BSA,

Those hunts in Hungary are really fantastic but can cost you (and me too) lots of money. Hungary with its real good game management and game laws is a great place for big red deer, roes or fantastic driven hunts but it's expensive to the boot. My father is also Hungarian (passed away 2 years ago).At the end of "cold war" the hungarian government gave him back some family land but to get the right to hunt on we must have 3000 hectares on one full batch or must enter an hunting club which is more management than hunting. Only the real wealthy guys (like during the communist days) or the foreigners with some money to spend, really enjoy those TV hunts...May be it why they can have such quantities of game and trophy...You can have great driven hunt experiences in Poland too for less money.
Did your father left in 56? Mine surrender to Patton Army in Vienna in 45 then joined the Foreign Legion and fought in Indochina and Algeria...

Hi Dom, actually my grandparents left before 1956 and came to america. My grandfather worked outside of pittsburgh pensylvania as a coal miner and told my dad to promise him he'd never be a miner. As it turned out my father has been working as a miner (actually mill foreman) at a gold mine for about 30 years now, but will never get black lung like my grandfather did. As for watching the hunting on youtube, it is amazing to watch those guys run those straight pull bolt guns and take those pigs out. It reminds me of when I was a boy shooting running jackrabbits in Nevada with my m1917 enfield grin Thanks for the info, very enjoyable.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sweet rig, but the sticker shot got me.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1minute, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 2500HD, 219DW, 270cowboy, 63 invisible), 2,356 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,171
Posts18,503,187
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.