Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#5334004 06/14/11
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
First Leup in a while. I'll do a much more rigorous test later, but just had it out at last light next to my 3-10x42 Swaro. Initial impression- the color balance of the new coatings REALLY works better for my eye. The Swaro was brighter, but the Leup appears at first blush to be very good.

It's a 2.5-8x36, just the straight duplex. I'll add a turret later; dunno which one yet. I'd been looking hard at the 3.5-10 but for what I want to do with it the 2.5-8 is better.

The power ring, when turned, has a very fine "zzzzz" to it. Like a super fine gear type feel. Are they all like that now?

This was a real PITA choice for me. Sure wish there was such thing as a light, trim Conquest. crazy

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What are you going to put it on, Jeff?

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hmmm...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, see that's the thing. It's going to do double duty. I've got a Rem 700 MR in 7mm-08 that's had a few other Leup 2.5-8's on it; great scope for that rifle. Then, I have my .325 BLR, which really is a cool rifle, especially post-trigger-job. However, the comb of the stock is such that scopes need to be really low. A Leup 2.5-8 in xtra-lows works, this I already know.

So it'll depend on whats got me horned up at the time, or what's getting hunted, but it's mission is those two rifles.

A 3.5-10x40 won't clear the barrel on the BLR in the x-lows. Also not ideal sizewise for the 7-08. IMHO.

I had to fester on this one a bit, but in the end Leup was the obvious choice and I've got no problem giving them my money!

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
You do realize that Leupold jacks up the price $100 on their new scopes to cover the warranty.

IC B2

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes, I do realize that.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
in the end Leup was the obvious choice

Why? There are several greats scopes in that price range, and a few that are indeed better than Leupold. You could have gotten a new Monarch with a turret kit for less money for example...

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Ruh roh. Here we go! grin

Well, that'd mean branching out into untested waters <grin>. I'm comfortable with a Leup or a Conquest on a hunting rifle and my Swaro is proving to be solid. Don't know nuthin' about no Nikons. smile

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
DC223- you running a 2-8 Nikon? If so, chime in on it.

Jeff, sounds like you got just what the Dr. ordered for your needs. Enjoy.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
There's also a commonality thing going. I've got a Vari-X 2.5-8 on my .223, which is my kids training "real" rifle. So having one on the 7-08, which is their next step up, makes sense.

This scope choice was complex (yeah, I know, I'm an overthinker +P <g>); it tied all the way into my 7WSM that I'm PATIENTLY WAITING FOR! grin

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
(yeah, I know, I'm an overthinker +P <g>);

IMHO that is part of the fun.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
It should look brighter than the Swaro because thew Swaro is bigger. That will allow more light to hit the eye.
They might be more expensive than a comparable brand from another source. The trouble is, there are no competing brands. For instance, how much do those super hard coatings add to the scope ? For a hint, take a look at their prismatic scope with and w/o the super hard coatings.
Then there are the costs associated with Leupold's extensive testing. They aren't free either. E

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Eremicus

Then there are the costs associated with Leupold's extensive testing.

haha! Like other optics makers don't test? Leupold has all the testing they need for free, with all the returns they get.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
They do have a good warranty, I've used it <grin>. I'm quite sure the fact that every single Leup product ever made is still warrantied, is factored into the cost of the new scopes. How could it not be?

Otoh, good product IMHO and whenthey are the rught fit for a given rifle, I like them just fine.

Hey, I've bashed Leup. And my last half-dozen scope purchases before this have been Zeiss. But they've fixed the color balance issue, I'll soon find out if the erectors are any good, and it's a light, trim scope for $399 with a great company behind it.

I can like all that...

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Calvin
You do realize that Leupold jacks up the price $100 on their new scopes to cover the warranty.

I disagree with your assertion.

Are you comparing the VX3 against a Nikon?

Where is the Nikon manufactured, Phillipines? I'm curious what their pay scale is compared to the hard working people of Beaverton, Oregon. I'd pay a little more for "Made in the USA."

Who has the better warranty and re-sale?

Jeff-O, I'm glad you posted this review. I found a minty tang safety Ruger UL and you helped me decide the VX3 2.5-8 is the way to go.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Originally Posted by Eremicus

Then there are the costs associated with Leupold's extensive testing.

haha! Like other optics makers don't test? Leupold has all the testing they need for free, with all the returns they get.

Leupold only tests a few scopes from a production run. If they tested thoroughly like Zeiss does, they'd cost even more.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Oh, I think it's much more than that................... grin

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Bastid.... grin...

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
They, for a long time, actually recoil tested their scopes. They still do as well as impact test them. Until very recently nobody else did. One of the major reason's why they have such a solid rep for reliability world wide among serious hunters. E

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by wadevb1

I disagree with your assertion.

Are you comparing the VX3 against a Nikon?

Where is the Nikon manufactured, Phillipines? I'm curious what their pay scale is compared to the hard working people of Beaverton, Oregon. I'd pay a little more for "Made in the USA."

Who has the better warranty and re-sale?

Jeff-O, I'm glad you posted this review. I found a minty tang safety Ruger UL and you helped me decide the VX3 2.5-8 is the way to go.

Tracking woes, expensive warranties, fuzzy resolution, and all that "bling"... I can't believe anybody would even consider a Leupold these days.

I hear good things about March scopes tho!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

301 members (17Fan, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 1100mag, 1beaver_shooter, 280Jeff, 39 invisible), 2,434 guests, and 1,118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,077
Posts18,501,567
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.