Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
My .340 has been around the world and is the last big game rifle I would ever part with. It's accurate, flat shooting and powerful. It's has the trajectory of a .270 and the punch of a .375 as far as I am concerned.

[Linked Image]

I bet it way overpenetrated on that 'yote.

Im surprised it didnt bounce off like a .270 !

Treestands don't demand. Treestands don't complain.
Treestands simply ask me to sit down and listen.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

My best hunting buddy has a Sako in 338 that is Magna Ported and I bought one of the first KDF brakes for my 340 when they first came out.

The Magna Porting does help with muzzle jump I think but the KDF took ten years of high frequency hearing away from me when I first used it back in the days before good hearing protection. I took it off and haven't used it since. The muzzle blast was atrocious.

Both require good hearing protection IMHO and a warning for a guide or bystander.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
One place I don't have much experience with the 375's is the 250's and speeds. I have used the combo with a 250 Sierra to take elk but I don't think the load was close to hitting 2900.

Guess what I'm getting at is a question for Bob and others is do you feel that most 23-24" 375's can get a 250-260 bullet to the 2900 range? I've always considered a bit over 2800 to be the max but I may well be a bit out of touch about it. (nice way of saving face and say that I have no friggin idea...grin)

Not sure about 2900 from an H&H with a 23-24" barrel. If guys say that's what they are getting I am not about to doubt their integrity. The "without any trouble" part makes me scratch my head a bit.

I run (almost exclusively) 250 gr. SGK's in my .375 Wby. It is a 26" gun. I get 3060 fps and, although I don't know how much faster I can safely go, I know it isn't a whole lot.

I would think that 2900 from an H&H with a short barrel has to be pushing the envelope.

I will also concur with the "fast and hard" recoil impulse from rifles of this class, mentioned by others. At 8.5 lbs scoped and loaded, my .375 Bee is a fairly vigorous old gal.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by guyandarifle
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Cause I hold a rifle very light, and tend to be a stock crawler for me mag na port works very well with rounds like this.

Dober

It is my understanding that porting of most any kind (mag na/brake) becomes more efficacious as velocity increases, right? If that's the case is would make sense that the .340 would benefit from such things.

Having said that my .340 throws a pretty big party at the muzzle when fired as is so I'd have to imagine a brake, while it might make a substantial difference in recoil, would be nigh intolerable. I just don't dig brakes. I've never shot a Mag Na ported anything (though my .500 S&W seems to have a similar top muzzle vent but still no rifle) so I was wondering what the blast was like compared to a brake?

Good Question.
I was doing a muzzle break review about 20 years ago when I sent a couple of rifles off for Magnaporting. When the .340 came back I noticed two things:

1. The advertising was correct and verifyable.
2. The muzzle stayed considerably straighter with minimal lift and the sensations of recoil was considerably reduced. As I owned both .338 and .338/378 Wildcat at that time, I was able to make direct comparisons before and after.

These comparisons lead me to unload the .338 because it offered no advantage over the ported .340, and also the .338/378 because I could not detect any difference whatsoever in the field, which also negated any justification for the heavier recoil, extra powder, more expensive cases and increased rifle weight of the .338/378.

If there is a point 3, there was no difference in chronographed loads before and after porting.

If there is a point 4, There was no perception of increased muzzle blast for the user which coaligns with the advertising.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Helped a guy sight one in. It was a Weatherby with a muzzle break. They kick some but IMO the muzzle blast/noise was worse than the recoil. The good part, other than getting it sighted in and putting it away, was having an open bench on either side to use for a spotting scope and other range equipment. He had been using a 7Mag for elk and went back to it the next year.

IC B2

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

152 members (44mc, 3333vl, 2UP, 1eyedmule, 308ld, 35, 12 invisible), 1,538 guests, and 903 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,772
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.