Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Just got mine from UPS that I bought off of the classifieds. It's a Martin Savannah.

Was learning on a 55# recurve and I didn't find it very difficult. But holy cow this Savannah is a lot of fun.

Travis

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Saw that one, was a great snag for you! Shooting light IS fun and great for practicing form. Have fun, well, even more fun with it!

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Thanks. Got a 3D shoot this weekend. Might have to make it down there.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice catch. They are nice little bows. What shafts are you using?

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The savannah is a nice bow. I think I'm going to get a 50#. I'm hunting with a Ben Pearson TD recurve 45#.

NRA Endowment member, BAA Lifer, USPSA Life member, SCSA Life member, ICORE

To teach those that don't know, To remind those that do Know, To correct those that think they know.
-Helio Gracie
IC B2

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by fyshbum
Nice catch. They are nice little bows. What shafts are you using?

I'm not sure of the brand. They are spined 500. Carbons. They are what I was using for my recurve. I'll take this bow to our local shop later this week and see what arrows he thinks I should be using with it.

I am new to all of this and I literally know next to nothing about them. Except how to shoot it.

Travis

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Found a picture:

[Linked Image]

To teach those that don't know, To remind those that do Know, To correct those that think they know.
-Helio Gracie
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been a traditional archer for almost 35 years. With your 40# bow weight stay with some heavier weight shafts for medium to big game. Something on the order of 10-12 grains per inch of shaft and add a good cut on contact two or four blade broadhead and go get em. Lighter bows can be very effective, you just need extra shaft weight to make up for the lack of arrow velocity. Like trying to stop a bus versus a car. The heavier the shaft the deeper the penetration, to a point.
Also, heavy shafts take more energy from the bow, making it much quieter at the shot. A quiet bow is a deadly bow, as it lessens string jumping. Especially at the sub 200 fps you will be shooting with traditional equipment.
If you stay with the carbon shafts you can go to Three Rivers Archery and order their weighted shaft inserts for carbons. Their staff is very good at helping you get dialed in, particularly as a new traditional archer. They will save you alot of money and time getting is right.
My 29" Carbon Express Terminaters are right at 700 grains with a 200 grain head thanks to the inserts. At my 65# draw thay are like a freight train to stop!
Glad you are giving it a try. You will be glad you did. Next thing you know, you will be at one of your prarie rat shooting grounds calling bounce shots with that bow. Take pics when you do!!

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Thanks for that info fyshbum. Much appreciated.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Nice kill Spencer.

Travis

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
fyshbum's got good advise, for more, check out the Ashby reports. You can find them on Alaskabowhunting.com

-Helio Gracie
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
>>A 40# Bow is a beautiful thing<<

And usually not found in the classifieds as often as a 60 pounder.

Great buy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have that bow in 55#, enjoy yours.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by LostArra
>>A 40# Bow is a beautiful thing<<

And usually not found in the classifieds as often as a 60 pounder.

Great buy.

Ha! Ain't that the truth?

She's shooting better by the day fellas. Well, I should say I'M shooting better by the day!

Travis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Try your carbons first. If you have a bare shaft, you can tell right away what adjustments will need to be made. Shoot your fletched shafts into a group then the bare shaft - If it shoots with the group your good to go, if it hits right then the shaft is weak, left the shaft is stiff. You can tweak the shaft dynamic spine with point weights and brace height changes. Take a look at this: http://www.acsbows.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/tuninglongbowsandrecurves.pdf Enjoy the bow!

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Thanks centershot. I took it to our local bow shop and he adjusted the "brace height"? Is that right? JC I'm a rookie at this stuff.

Anyway. I shot a group of six from the 20 and he deemed all was well. I've been shooting it better and better. Really like it.

Travis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Twisting the bowstring will adjust the brace height - I'd say at this point if your shooting decent groups and the pro shop said your close, then shoot away! Take a look at that link when you get some time. You may need to make some minor adjustments when the broadheads come out, till then - just shoot and enjoy it.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Thanks again CS. I'll do that.

Travis

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I've found that shooting 6 bare shafts with 6 fletched every practice session really helps with the tuning. If your bareshafts CONSISTANTLY hit away from the fletched like centershot mentioned, make the necessary adjustments to the bow. If you don't get consistancy, make adjustments to yourself...lol..as you've probably got something wrong with your shot.

The bareshafts keep me AND the bow honest.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hows it coming with them two bows bruddah??

There's a 2 day shoot in T Falls August 6-7th http://www.3dshoots.com/archery/detail/79149.php I will of course be in attendance, as they will need somebody to shoot 3rd place smile That one is always a good time.

We should have just about all the Shafer Tribe from the Greater Flathead there.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 40lb Bear Grizzly made in the 1960s. It is definitely fun to shoot for practice. I usually shoot 2018s or 2016s from it. I prefer heavier equipment for hunting though.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I've got a beautiful old 34# 66" Hoyt that I use for target practice still. Got it back in the 1970's and used to shoot it better if memory serves...

The light pull is very nice, no doubt.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh, and then there's Flathead Valley Archers... They have a last minute scheduled shoot up at Blacktail the 30-31st. Its for everybody, compounders and trad guys.

If anybody from here shows up, I'm pretty sure I'll be the only guy shooting a blacked out Shafer Silvertip with rattlesnake skins on the back, and be sleeping in an SL4.

Travis, if you can make it, I promise you'll start learning how to actually shoot a bow wink

Last edited by DanAdair; 07/11/11.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (257_X_50, 35, afisher, alffe, 6mmCreedmoor, 10 invisible), 831 guests, and 818 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,915
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.