-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I was told in Europe recently that it is illegal to take a fishing rod in carry-on luggage or into the passenger cabin of a plane going to the US. I was outbound. I'd flown Seattle to New York to Brussels and when I went through security check in Brussels to go on to Africa, they went a little beserk over the telescoping cheap pack rod in my carry on bag. (That was my only luggage as I gave my checked luggage limit to a medical team that was short of space, then learned I was limited to 7 kilos for carry-on... So I added a day pack book bag as my personal item.)

They let me continue with the fishing rod because I was not heading to the US. They were surprised that US air security had allowed me on the plane with it. On my return I played dumb, carried it on in the same way, and nobody challenged me.

Errata: I watched two baggage handlers at JFK deliberately dropping luggage from as high as they could lift onto a concrete floor, and a few bags they threw as far as they could onto concrete. Maybe if we PAID them to lift luggage higher than needed and made throwing luggage part of the job...

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I just went to Oregon with my fly rod as a carry on and there was no trouble. I guess it is just out of state.

They might pay baggage handlers to steal stuff out of your bag to!?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
To clarify, apparently the restriction only applies if you are flying into the US from outside somewhere. Flying with a fishing rod within the US doesn't seem to be a problem. SeaTac airport has a constant stream of people carrying fishing rods with or without a case and I know there must be many pack rods inside of hand luggage because so many people fly from there to fish Alaska. Maybe I just hit some nit wit security people in Brussels. Just an FYI if you take a fishing rod abroad and plan to return with it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

297 members (1Longbow, 222Sako, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 160user, 10Glocks, 32 invisible), 1,798 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,308
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.