24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Hey Darryl,
<br>I just relized I have been spelling you name wrong all this time.I AM TRUELY SORRY!!!
<br>
<br>
<br>For everybody else dont you relize that YOU ARE THE PUBLIC.We only lose hunting rights because we let it happen.You can talk all you want about LR hunting and losing the right to do it,but do you really think that it will stop there.I may not like to hunt by some other means,but I would defend just like it was the ONLY WAY.If we contenue to bicker over this we only serve to seperate ourselves.We have to stay together as hunters or we will all lose the right to hunt.Wether or not we agree it does not matter.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sealsniper, yes, we are the public. But we are still outnumbered considerably. Ok, I think I see the ethical question here. Well, I used to hunt squirrels with my shotgun, but it seemed like every time there was one within 30 yards and I shot, a dead squirrel was a guarentee. I much prefer a .22. Why? More challenge, more misses, more enjoyment. And less to skin. I don't see the use of limiting on squirrels, they are a pain in the ass to skin. So, let's say I had a super long range rifle, with the most accurate scope in the world. There is a small grove of oaks about 400 yards away swarming with squirrels. The set up is accurate and can be fully utilized by a decent shot. So, if a guy is making 9 shots out of every 10 he shoots at a squirrel, and hitting them in the head without ruining any meat, is that squirrel 'hunting' per se? Of course, he can only shoot at non moving squirrel, but at that range, they have no clue he is around. With my .22, if I miss, I'm not likely to get another shot at that squirrel any time soon, due to the short ranges involved.
<br> Now, with the deer 3/4 of a mile away, and you there with a super long range gun specialized for such work, you can make a killing shot 99 out of 100 times say when you shoot. Am I right? The deer obviously have no clue you are there, or if they do, they think you are well out of their danger zone. So much so that when you shoot, they go over and stick their noses in the ground where it hit. Even if you missed 10 times, the deer would not likely panic, am I right? I am not saying you are likely to miss the same deer that many times, but I'm saying if you did, it would still be there. Now, looking at it this way, you have not defeated the deer's senses, you are merely out of range of them. So, in my view, it is not the same as a hunter in camoflauge and a no scent suit sitting in the woods. If he moves, he can still be caught. If he is in a blind, he can still screw up with noise. You are out of range of the deer's hearing, nose, and while not out of range of his eyes, the deer still doesn't see you as a threat with how far away you are. I do not condemn it is a sin, and do accept what you do since you do it responsibly. However, it is not really fair chase as I would define it. I am not flaming you, just stating my views for my case.
<br>

We may rise and fall, but in the end, we meet our fate together.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
" cant we all just get along?" This is a campfire open to anyone who happens by.Y'all[ LR hunters] followed someone over to thjis fire to continue a discussion that was started at another fire.You wanted to defend your point of view.You have.
<br>
<br>You have also,at every turn,set yourselves up as a separate bunch;Long Range Hunters.You are the ones being divisive,and especially you,Daryl.
<br>
<br>I get the impression you are a bunch of one dimensional personalities.I know that's not so,but you leave that impression.It's as if YOU,not the rest of us,want to define ethics by yardage.It's not enough for us to agree that what you do is legal,you keep arguing that it is RIGHT and we should agree with you that it is RIGHT.
<br>
<br>If you can't do a better job convincing us hunters of your RIGHTNESS,how would you fare with the non-hunting public if your hunting style is called into question?
<br>
<br>Your " in your face" style smacks too much of the confrontational manners of all the liberal special interest groups like the homosexuals,for instance.If it's RIGHT,why don't you just keep on doing it without seeking approval?
<br>
<br>We already agreed it's legal.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Gene
<br>
<br>Thank you for the acknowlegment that, the way we hunt is legal. That's nice of you to let some of the other posters know that. I have always known that but, some of the posters here don't seem to know it.
<br>
<br>You are on the side of the short range hunters (I think) and seem to have make statements that really don't apply to me in your last post. If any of my posts comes off that way to you or anyone, it certainly is not meant to be that way at all.
<br>
<br>Now with that, I don't really care if you or anyone else hunts longrange or not. We are not defending our style of hunting to you or anyone other then saying, we want to be able to answer anyones questions concerning it if, they are interested in the concept and would like to get in it.
<br>
<br>Longrange hunting is getting so popular that many are interested and have already ordered equipment to do it WITHOUT HAVING THE EXPERIANCE THEY SHOULD HAVE, BEFORE GOING AFIELD.
<br>They want to know the correct way and that's why we are here or on any forum.
<br> FYI --We were asked by some of your regulars to come over here and answer questions concerning LR hunting and will do just that.
<br>I didn't come here to flame anyone or get flamed either.
<br>
<br>We just care enough about our hunting style that, we want to be able to answer their questions with the experiance we have had over the years so they do it safely.
<br>
<br>You certainly don't have to like our style of hunting and frankly, we don't have to like yours. The point here that most are not comprehending is, we are ALL hunters of many styles.
<br>
<br>We don't have to defend our style to you or anyone just as you/they don't have to defend theirs to us.
<br>
<br>Again you are the ones that seem to be talking of News media intervention and comparing Homosexuals and special interest groups to hunting styles, which is rediculous.
<br>
<br>We are not in a special interest hunting group at all, are you?
<br>
<br>We are in a group that enjoys our style of hunting very much. I enjoy it much more then your way. I did your way (the short range way) for many years and still do. It just so happens I enjoy the LR way much better.
<br>
<br>Some who keep posting here on ethics and so on, have never hunted our way, so they don't have any idea how it works and can't respond in an experianced manner.
<br>
<br>As I mentioned, we should probably all try to get along
<br>even though we hunt different styles.
<br>Maybe we can be one big happy group????
<br>You hunt your way and we will continue to hunt ours.
<br>
<br>Darryl Cassel

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hi Darryl....Talked to Bobby today.My Barrel just came in so He said I should have my babies in a week or so.The big Ultra should be done now..Did those rock's lose there horn's yet.I heard a rumor of a 20" 9 point up there.My BIG BABY(that's the name I gave the big Ultra)say's she can't wait to sink her teeth into the TOMMY.....Could be VERY interesting.I'll keep u informed....Later....Boyd...

IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
"Big Baby"???? That name will be just "Baby" after the match up.
<br>Babies don't have teeth Boyd and if they did the TOMMY would knock them out.
<br>
<br>Those 240 Grain MKs in "Baby" better be going at least 3200 FPS. TOMMY will be spitting them out at that speed for sure in this cold weather.
<br>
<br>I just heard "Bad Boy" (TOMMY) out in the garage yelling, "Bring Baby On". I better go out and calm him down a bit.
<br>
<br>The challenge is on my young friend. I always did like a challenge anyway.
<br>
<br>Later
<br>Darryl
<br>
<br>PS--Bad Boy just yelled from the garage again. He said, "Babies butt is grass and he is the lawn mower"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Big Baby look's Really tough with her PINK AND PURPLE POKE-A-DOTTED stock.My wife told me if she was gonna shoot it that's the color she wanted.I'm gonna be the laughing stock of the 1000 yard club.LoL!!!!!!!!!!!!You tell Tommy that Big Baby has been chewing on her teething ring.She has a few coming through....I hope I can get 3200 out of it.That would make me as happy as a pig in poop........When she come's I'll let you know.....Later...Boyd...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well I have stewed about this for a couple of days and I guess I have to say somthing. Afterall thats what this is for.
<br>
<br>
<br>"If it flies it dies "
<br>
<br>I have heard ( read ) your posts on this subject and a couple of times you mentioned things about the public and ethics etc.
<br>Look at your "name "If it flies it dies" to me thats more concerning than LRH.. Don't you think the non hunting public would be horrified by your name.
<br>The other thing is you are totally agianst LRH because you say " the animals have no idea you are there" I am not understanding your statment. One could interpret that as... You would rather have the animals know you are there and you shoot at a running animal??? In most if not all of my expierience hunting ( keep in mind I am a professional guide ) everytime the animal knew we were there he fled !!!!! For the life of me I cannot understand why you would want the animal to know you are there....
<br>
<br>I am hoping you can enlighten me on these points..
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>Ready on the right,
<br>
<br>I have to say that your statment that we are supiorior beasts and should be able to use or knowledge to our advantage is something that I completely agree with.
<br>
<br>

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Perhaps some of you anti-LRH folks are put off by the amount of money required to successfully hunt LR, or perceive some cockiness on the part of the LRH's when they speak of their equipment and their successes.
<br>
<br>My best friend of over 45 years and life-long huntin' pard could afford to buy whatever hunting gear he wanted, I couldn't. He hauled my arse up to my camp every year in his new $35K pickup, I drive a beater. I hunt with anything from a old M94 to a HB 25-06 that I helped to build, he had Senderos, 40XB's and a 1000yd BR rifle at his disposal.
<br>
<br>At no time did I ever begrudge him the fact that his 6-figure income allowed him to pursue whatever sort of hunting tickled his fancy, while I was content to hunt the same way our forefathers did, for the most part.
<br>More often was the case, that I'd dump a varmint with my M788 22-250 and heckle him because he'd just missed one with his custom M700 22-250 varminter, (not that he ever missed much).
<br>
<br>Money will not buy you a thing if you don't have the skill, the dedication or the desire to hone those skills, be they at the loading bench or at the range.
<br>When I was range director at my gunclub, I saw dozens of folks show up with,say, a new Weatherby and proudly show it off. Most of them never managed to become proficient with such rifles because, although they could afford one, they didn't possess the dedication or determination to learn to shoot them well.
<br>
<br>Don't confuse these guys with dime store cowboys. They have committed not only a lot of money to their sport, but more importantly, one helluva lot of time and dedication to doing it well. More power to 'em, my opinion.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

430 members (160user, 22kHornet, 17CalFan, 22250rem, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 39 invisible), 1,764 guests, and 1,067 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,874
Posts18,478,818
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.