Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
rrroae Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Have some relatives coming up from Virginia to hunt this fall and want to feed them well. First time I visited them 20 years ago during Thanksgiving, the first thing they asked me is if I wanted to go hunting with them. Didn't have a gun on me nor the right clothes but they took me to their camp and showed me hospitality I didn't know existed. Been hunting down there ever since. Time to repay them with a little good 'ol fashion Pa hospitality. They'll get all the prime stands and I'm putting in fall plots for them. Extending the cabin a bit to make sure they're comfortable as well.

There's 4 of them coming and they'll be here a week so any suggestions for some real good camp meals would be much appreciated. Any other suggestions to make them feel right at home will also be appreciated.

Note: My cooking skills are somewhat limited and camp meals usually consist of venison stew or something simple. Also, fridge is a small 9.9 cuft propane unit to it would e nice to have some pre made meals already in the pots that can be stored outside until ready to be cooked. I have some time before season to experiment if anyone has some good ideas they wouldn't mind sharing.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Fried Potatoes , Pork&Beans,

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
After a hard week of hunting, there is no better reward than a nice steak cooked over an open fire.

A lap dance is sooooo much better when the stripper is crying
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Silly question, but why are they headed up to PA to hunt from VA? VA hunting has it ALL over PA.

As for recipes, order Eileen Clark's Slice of the Wild: http://www.riflesandrecipes.com/ You will be VERY glad you did.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
chilli, with LOTS of beans!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
IC B2

rrroae Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 270LightningBLR
After a hard week of hunting, there is no better reward than a nice steak cooked over an open fire.

That's a good one. Think I'll get some pre marinated steaks from a local butcher for a good end of the week feast.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
chili is always a favorite at our camp. the other thing i do is a day or two before we leave for camp i get my wife to put together a few casseroles and then at camp throw them into the oven at 350* for an hour and wa-la a hearty great meal with almost no prep work . ps if you want you can pm me and i will see if i can get some of the wifey's casserole recipes

IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE, MINE ARE ALL DEFECTIVE ..... TED NUGENT
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Meatloaf for dinner and then meatloaf sandwiches for the next day's lunch.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you have access to a foodsaver or similar vac-sealer, you can make up meals before hand and freeze them. When they want to eat, they just drop a meal in a pot of hot water, heat it up, and then cut open the bag. A group of guys from here go to Colorado every year and pre-cook all their meals before they leave. The clean pots of hot water are handy for clean-ups.

I'd suggest chili, taco bean soup, beef brisket with gravy, BBQ venison roasts, gumbo,spagetti, etc.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rrroae
Originally Posted by 270LightningBLR

That's a good one. Think I'll get some pre marinated steaks from a local butcher for a good end of the week feast.

Also see if you can get some hickory for the fire, makes me hungry just thinking about it.

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
You most certainly have a Dutch Oven. You live in PA for gawdsakes!

Anyway, have you ever made "redneck cobbler" in one? It is hyper easy and tastes great plus it impresses the ones around you more than it should.

All you gotta do is get your favorite pie filling (blueberry, cherry, apple, peach, etc...), dump contents in the bottom, cover it with a box of white cake mix, make thin slices of a stick of butter over the top and dust it with cinnamon.

Cook until done which is about 45 minutes depending on altitude and outside air temp. The filling works its way up through the cake mix and the butter works its way down to meet in a gastronomical delite.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Dinty moore beef stew over bowtie pasta is pretty quick and quite filling....

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
rrroae Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Silly question, but why are they headed up to PA to hunt from VA? VA hunting has it ALL over PA.

As for recipes, order Eileen Clark's Slice of the Wild: http://www.riflesandrecipes.com/ You will be VERY glad you did.

We certainly don't have the bucks like they have out in Texas, Illinois, Iowa, etc, but they're monsters compared to the deer that are around the Shenandoah Valley.

[Linked Image]

click to play and tun audio up.

[Linked Image]

rrroae Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ColsPaul
chilli, with LOTS of beans!

Ain't a chance in hell. This is a small cabin.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
As others have said, I like to bring stuff that is already prepared and just needs to be heated. Lmartin's idea on casseroles is a great one.

I love what we call "hobo dinners" which are self-contained dinners cooked in the coals of a fire in aluminum foil. I parboil potatoes, carrots, and other root-vegies, toss in fresh onions, terryaki sauce, ground venison, and bacon grease (preferred) or butter. I'll wrap 'em up before I leave my home for camp so all there is to do is toss 'em into the fire. This is my favorite way to "get rid of" last year's ground venison if there is any leftover... DELICIOUS!!!!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by podunkkennels
Dinty moore beef stew over bowtie pasta is pretty quick and quite filling....

You sir are a shameful individual trying to bring Dingy Moore into a conversation about real food. Shame...........shame..............

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by rrroae
Originally Posted by VAnimrod

We certainly don't have the bucks like they have out in Texas, Illinois, Iowa, etc, but they're monsters compared to the deer that are around the Shenandoah Valley.

Nice bucks, but nothing that isn't found in the Shenandoah.

rrroae Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lmartin
chili is always a favorite at our camp. the other thing i do is a day or two before we leave for camp i get my wife to put together a few casseroles and then at camp throw them into the oven at 350* for an hour and wa-la a hearty great meal with almost no prep work . ps if you want you can pm me and i will see if i can get some of the wifey's casserole recipes

Appreciate the offer. Pm sent.

rrroae Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Longbob
You most certainly have a Dutch Oven. You live in PA for gawdsakes!

Anyway, have you ever made "redneck cobbler" in one? It is hyper easy and tastes great plus it impresses the ones around you more than it should.

All you gotta do is get your favorite pie filling (blueberry, cherry, apple, peach, etc...), dump contents in the bottom, cover it with a box of white cake mix, make thin slices of a stick of butter over the top and dust it with cinnamon.

Cook until done which is about 45 minutes depending on altitude and outside air temp. The filling works its way up through the cake mix and the butter works its way down to meet in a gastronomical delite.

Like the suggestion. Approximately what temp should I cook this on?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's easy . Make sure they are well aware that you have the food for the week covered .
2 days worth of meat and a weeks worth of potatos .
I'm sure you've learned what they like to eat so add those to some basic premade stuff like stew , meatloaf , cassarolls , pasta with awesome sauce , some nice steaks , and don't forget the sides they like and desserts too wink
Sounds like your fridge may have a small freezer ? If so you can stuff a bit of preped meals in there and when fresh loins are there the froze stuff stays froze wink

Phil

�The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men.� �Samuel Adams

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." --James Madison
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

622 members (219DW, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 62 invisible), 2,648 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,944
Posts18,498,934
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.