Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Can anyone reccomend a manufactured sling or even the modification of one fro use with the TC Contender .

Will be using a Contender with a red dot scope for bear over bait .... combination does not fit to standard TC hunting holster and looking to maintain two hands available while hunting in a tree stand .

Lookin to use the Pachmar grip and forend which has sling studs installed .

Would a modified one point sling like what is used on the M4 / AR15 rifles work ?

Experiences ?

GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
A while back, there was a replacement bolt that fit Pachmayr Grips that had a sling swivel stud on the end. May be wrong, but was thinking atht sling kit was made my Uncle Mike's. when used in conjunction with a barrel band up front, allows you to sling your gun easily.

another option i use, if you use the factory wood grips, is to replace the plastic butt cap on your grip with a metal plate, and drill the plate with a hole to allow a sling stud to fit on there, just be sure to use a nylon insert locknut on the threaded shank of the sling stud...and, use longer screws to hold the cap on, the factory screws are not meaty enough.

without the locknut, recoil would rattle mine loose every 15-20 shots.

Last edited by FyrepowrX; 06/29/11.

============================================================

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use a short, narrow strap used for carrying binoculars. I've found it to work much better than some improvised full length rifle sling.

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I took a pistol case designed for a scoped TC Contender, and just added my own straps to make a chest holster! The gun sits securely a little to the left side for easy draw. I have hands free for everything else. The case stays unzipped if I'm stalking, and a quick zip will secure it if I have to climb.

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I use this. Works well for my scoped Encore.
http://www.pistolpackaging.com/Bandito_Shoulder_Belt_p/bsb.htm

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
IC B2

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
The Pachmars have the studs installed but I will be looking at how well they are secured .

I have a drawer full of old straps for binoculars and never thought of them , great idea.

The holster I have is similar to the bandito but must be another model , not enough clearnace for the red dot .

Was thinking if I had something that would stretch if would hang close to the body when not in use and would stretch when extended for the shot

thank you for the ideas

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The bandido I have does not have a hood over the scope. It has a cutout over the top of the holster. The gun slides in, and the scope rail fits in the slot, and the scope sits out of the holster. Make sense?

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Uncle Mike's makes, or at least used to make, a sling swivel set.

Most of my TC barrels are 10" barrels, I most generally carry my scoped TC in the same Uncle Mike's bandolier holster I used for a scoped 7-1/2 barreled single action revolver.

I've done a couple of 14" barrels and two 16-1/4"ers. Rather than a holster, I used a long loop nylon web/belt, ran the loop between through the scope mount between scope and barrel, stuck the muzzle through the loop, then pulled it up tight. What's left went over my head and one shoulder and hung down on my left side with the muzzle to the rear. I always kept one hand on it just in case but it never offered to fall. Truth is, a long barreled contender is, IMHO at least, so clumsy the sling setup can't hardly make it worse. I do ok with the iron sighted 14" barrels, but with a scope I want short, 12 is eh, so-so, 10 is better.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

333 members (10gaugemag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 16penny, 260Remguy, 51 invisible), 2,540 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,686
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.