Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Trying to raise some funds and want to put this rifle up for sale. What should the price be? Be advised I'm not selling it here, so don't low ball me in the hopes of getting a great deal please.

It was made from a military Mauser 98 action by BRNO Arms in the Czech Republic. It's got a single set trigger, modified safety for scope mounting, scope bases, a recoil pad, open sights, sling swivels (one on the barrel), and is in 100% condition. I've never fired it. I'm the first owner since manufacture. Thanks.

PS I hate putting a rifle up and getting twenty guys rushing to snap it up because I priced it lower than I could have got for it.

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why would you NOT offer the rifle for sale here in the classifieds?

Also, thought you bought this rifle used, in like new condition, back in 2006??

http://books.google.com/books?id=tu...=result&resnum=2&ved=0CB0Q6AEwAQ

Last edited by GaryVA; 07/05/11.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by GaryVA
Why would you NOT offer the rifle for sale here in the classifieds?

Also, thought you bought this rifle used, in like new condition, back in 2006??

http://books.google.com/books?id=tu...=result&resnum=2&ved=0CB0Q6AEwAQ
Nope. I bought it direct from the distributor through a gun shop. The action was originally a military action. Not sure if the action was brand new when it was made into a sporter by BRNO.

Mine's a VZ24 sporter, made into a sporter from the military action by BRNO. I assume it was made shortly before I bought it (other than the action, of course, which I assume was made many decades ago).

Edited to add that I believe I remember that BRNO made these from military rifles that were never issued or actions that were never built into military rifles. As I recall, I actually spoke to the distributor over the phone. It was over ten years ago. You could get them in several different calibers.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would like a few more pictures? Is that possible? PM?

Last edited by rifle; 07/06/11.

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by rifle
I would like a few more picture? Is that possible? PM?
Tell me what you'd like a picture of.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How about the buttstock area? the bottom metalwork and the top of the reciever?

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by rifle
How about the buttstock area? the bottom metalwork and the top of the reciever?
OK, I'll get them posted today.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
OK, here you go. Any idea on price yet? Normally, I just look and see what others are charging for the same gun, but I cannot find anyone else selling one of these to compare with.

Here are the pictures you requested:

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
http://www.nramuseum.com/media/364992/Jun%2002.pdf

Dope Bag from the NRA Museum indicated that the BRNO built Model 98 Mauser sporting rifle was common in the European market for many years. About ten years ago they were imported into the American market with the base models running around $400, these were pure 98 Mausers built into sport rifle configuration. The base models came with synthetic stocks. Sounds like you got one in imported in European trim. I'd dare to guess that you'd be looking at no more than $800-$1200 tops in like new condition. Every now and then you'll see a nice European trim BRNO 98 sporting mauser go for sale in that price range, though at times they'll have no takers.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Thanks Garry. That gives me a good ball park for pricing. About what I figured, too.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
800-1200 is Kimber Montana territory. Given the choice between the two, I think most would make the call for a Montana. 600.00-800.00 for the sporterized VZ24 would be my estimate in this market.

Better pics would help estimate accuracy.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A handful of new 9.3x62 Zastava European trim sporting 98 Mausers, same as yours being pure 98s with the flag safety/military triggers/military bottoms, but in European sporting trim, were sold in the US within the last year or two. Like the BRNO, they are common in Europe but uncommon in the US. IIRC, they ran in the $600-$800 range and were all sold. To my understanding the newly made BRNO sporting 98 is considered a better rifle than the Zastava made sporting 98, so I'd imagine it could fetch a better price, especially being it's a 9.3x62.

From what I've seen, they are not sporterized older rifles, but are newly manufactured sporting rifles built off military spec M98 receivers. Zastava still makes them for the European market and calls them M98s, the versions that have been imported here over the years that we generally see such as the Mark X, they call them M70s. Different line of rifle. Here is a current new manufactured Zastava M98 in deluxe European trim:

[Linked Image]

Best smile

Last edited by GaryVA; 07/06/11.

- Clint Eastwood
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Interesting. Thanks. That one there has a double set trigger. Mine's a single set.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's an added option. I missed out on the few 9.3x62 European trim 98 sporters that were imported, and subsequently tried to get one through a later group buy, but that fell thru with the importer. I ended up with a deal to import a non-US Sako 9.3x62 and gave up on the imported Mauser.

Good luck on your sale, but as noted above, with today's economy, it may prove difficult to find top dollar. IIRC, not too long ago a nice factory BRNO 98 sporter with great wood and the double-set triggers was on one of the auction sites starting at $1,300 and no one would touch it at that price. Not sure if it ever sold.

Best smile

Last edited by GaryVA; 07/06/11.

- Clint Eastwood

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 77 invisible), 2,629 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,476
Posts18,471,571
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.