Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A friend called me this morning. He's been toyng with the idea of buying a 300 Win Mag and found a good buy in a Howa 1500. But first, he asked a benchrest friend who works in a gun shop he frequents about the 300 Win Mag. The friend went on to tell him that 300 WM's are notorious for being inaccurate - the best one he;s seen would shoot around 2 MOA. This includes Sako's, Winchesters, Brownings etc......No amount of tweeking would make them shoot better. He advised him to stick to his 270WSM.

I found this quite hard to believe that he had this opinion about the 300 Win Mag. I have never owned one but have shot a friends Tikka T3 - and that shot quite well.

Is the benchrest guy full of [bleep]???

Gus

HR IC

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
FOS...............

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
+P FOS

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Most accurate out of the box big game rifle I've ever owned is a 300 WM, in a M700. Doesn't seem to matter what grain of bullet or type, it's the least finicky rifle I own.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My .300 WM will stack 'em. He's FOS.

That said I see my best accuracy with brass formed to my chamber and which headspaces off the shoulder. A slightly loose factory chamber and a belt can indeed lead to less than ideal accuracy.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Guys,
I seem to agree with you..........

I think being from the benchrest fold if it doesnt shoot under half inch, its a POS

FOS.........I think so!!!!!

Gus

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Gus_K
Guys,
I think being from the benchrest fold if it doesnt shoot under half inch, its a POS

Mine will do a 1/2" easily, if I'm up to it. That rifle shoots way better than I do. All of that in the cheap plastic stock that came on it, albeit with a bedded action and pressure point - it shot 3/4" or better in factory form. Just got a used B&C Alaskan Ti for it last week, hoping it jives with the new handle.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
A friend called me this morning. He's been toyng with the idea of buying a 300 Win Mag But first, he asked a benchrest friend who works in a gun shop he frequents about the 300 Win Mag. The friend went on to tell him that 300 WM's are notorious for being inaccurate - the best one he;s seen would shoot around 2 MOA.
Gus

This guy is totally full of [bleep]. Gotta tell it like it is here. I sold off every rifle in the safe about 8 years ago and kept my 300 because it was my most consistently accurate rifle I owned. I gave up some dandys too but the 300 was the best I had so I kept it. FOS to say the least.

Guys,

Gus

You "SEEM" to agree, now which is it??????
It's not about a rifle that doesn't shoot 1/2 moa. You state 2 moa and that is what I'm basing my opinion on.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What a crock. Rufous here at 24hrcf (I hope he sees this and psts some pictures of targets) can sometimes get his 300 Win to shoot a 2 inch group... at FIVE hundred yards. I have seen him regularly paste ;em up at wll unde 1MOA and closer to 1/2 waaayyyy out there from prone with a bipod. This with a highly customized model 70 Classic.

Of all the factors that determine whether a rifle will shoot well or not, caliber choice is among the LEAST of the factors if not THE least. More like a total non factor for nearly everyone.

If he wants an accurate dependable high performance hunting rifle, a good 300 Winchester Magnum will fill the bill quite nicely. As would a 300 WBY, H&H, etc.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
A friend called me this morning. He's been toyng with the idea of buying a 300 Win Mag But first, he asked a benchrest friend who works in a gun shop he frequents about the 300 Win Mag. The friend went on to tell him that 300 WM's are notorious for being inaccurate - the best one he;s seen would shoot around 2 MOA.
Gus

This guy is totally full of [bleep]. Gotta tell it like it is here. I sold off every rifle in the safe about 8 years ago and kept my 300 because it was my most consistently accurate rifle I owned. I gave up some dandys too but the 300 was the best I had so I kept it. FOS to say the least.

Guys,

Gus

It's not about a rifle that doesn't shoot 1/2 moa. You state 2 moa and that is what I'm basing my opinion on.

Bsa
when I heard these facts from my friend (who was looking to buy the 300 WM) I didnt say anything, as he seems to hold what his benchrest guru says to him in high regards. From my experience (having shot a 300WM once) and from replies to my post I would say that the BR guy is FOS - or my mate is making up chit not to buy the 300WM.

Gus

Last edited by Gus_K; 07/06/11.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Gus

Guys,

Gus

Bsa
when I heard these facts from my friend (who was looking to buy the 300 WM) I didnt say anything, as he seems to hold what his benchrest guru says to him in high regards. From my experience (having shot a 300WM once) and from replies to my post I would say that the BR guy is FOS - or my mate is making up chit not to buy the 300WM.

Gus

I understand Gus. From what you can tell by the other posts you know the guy was full of chit. The 300 is a great all around cartridge which is basically known for its inherent accuracy for whatever that is worth grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Gus

Guys,

Gus

Bsa

Gus

I understand Gus. From what you can tell by the other posts you know the guy was full of chit. The 300 is a great all around cartridge which is basically known for its inherent accuracy for whatever that is worth grin

Thanks for that Bsa

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One would think a benchrester of any experience would be familiar with the fact that the 300 Win Mag has claimed its share of benchrest records????

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One would think so, but there are a lot more armchair, internet and wannabe blowhard 'benchresters' than guys who really go out and compete.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
A friend called me this morning. He's been toyng with the idea of buying a 300 Win Mag and found a good buy in a Howa 1500. But first, he asked a benchrest friend who works in a gun shop he frequents about the 300 Win Mag. The friend went on to tell him that 300 WM's are notorious for being inaccurate - the best one he;s seen would shoot around 2 MOA. This includes Sako's, Winchesters, Brownings etc......No amount of tweeking would make them shoot better. He advised him to stick to his 270WSM.

I found this quite hard to believe that he had this opinion about the 300 Win Mag. I have never owned one but have shot a friends Tikka T3 - and that shot quite well.

Is the benchrest guy full of [bleep]???

Gus
.....FOS,,,FOC,,,Bullsheet,,,a bench rest foe is more like it!,,,His eye balls are dark brown as well as the brain matter between his ears.

I could think of a few more things, but I`ll try go easy on this clown.

A few questions for your buddy`s so called "bench rest" friend.

How many 300 Win rifles has this,,,,gentleman,,,,owned????
Has he ever reloaded for a 300 Win Mag????
Which brand or brands of 300 Win Mag rifles has he owned????

How many different loading components in powders, bullets and different seating depths has he (Bozo) tried????

From where and from whom did he get his information regarding "notoriously in-accurate?" From shooters who frequently visit eye clinics? From shooters who have low tolerance for more recoil? From shooters who don`t reload?

Maybe these shooters (his sources) can`t shoot well from the bench? Stock crawlers?

A 300 WM notoriously in-accurate, is the of the most ridiculous and un-true statements I`ve ever heard coming from other circles within the shooting world.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Have another idea.....Ask your buddy`s friend, if he would like to volunteer to stand 400-500 yards downrange with his balls hanging out.

I`m sure he`d jump right on that invitation. Afterall, the 300 WM is a notoriously in-accurate cartridge, so his privates area will have nothing to worry about????...........LMAO!!!!!

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I've got a rem700 300win that always seems to shoot right on, heck i dont even really like 700's that much and I like that one.

Loving life in the Great North West one day at a time.

sounds like its time for a new gun.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yes that benchrest dude is over-stuffed w/ BS on that comment, sounds like he has a less than accurate WSM he's trying to peddle.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had a dozen or so 300's, all were tack drivers. A gun collection ain't complete without at least 1 three-hunnert in the mix wink

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 16penny, 02bfishn, 1234, 53 invisible), 2,549 guests, and 1,367 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,574
Posts18,491,978
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.