Hop To
Page 15 of 30 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 29 30
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Swampy and Larry:
Please let me handle this!

Ingwe, DD and gnoahhh, What is the matter with you!!! Didn't your moms teach you it is WRONG to pick on the "special", slow kids???!!!! STOP IT RIGHT NOW!!!!!

S&L - that should take care of the problem.

Johnny $

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yes'm.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Johnny $, I thought "special" implied in need of attention? Just trying to do my civic duty ya know.

I know some special folk need TLC, but darn it, some of them require reinforcement with a hickory stick or something similar. Something to do with that Pavlov fella I hear.

Now don't give this away but I'm trying to set up a match to settle this debate. On one lane there's gonna be a SUX 700 ML and a parade of pimps. On the other I'm guessing a .56 Perry w/a two piece 1300 grain Hindenburg over 200 grains of 1-1/2 FG Swiss. Older than dirt, like the driver. Ought to be a fair match, but I gotta say I hope it's windy. 40 rods, string measure.

[Linked Image]

If'n you don't think this is fair I could probably work in an 800 grain .50 caliber shooter. Maybe. Depends on where mostly.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Dan, that is one cool rifle. Is that a false muzzle utilizing a cross patch that I'm looking at? I'd love to see one of those at work at a 40 rod match. It would be like going back 120 years.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Johnny $, I thought "special" implied in need of attention? Just trying to do my civic duty ya know.

I know some special folk need TLC, but darn it, some of them require reinforcement with a hickory stick or something similar. Something to do with that Pavlov fella I hear.

Dan,
That is really a interesting reference. Some of my graduate studies were done on Pavlov's theory. We were trying to find the lowest lifeforms that could be conditioned into determinal behavior with risk/reward "training". In my last year we were working with night crawlers. We used a maze that was just a "T" box with rich humus in one arm of the T and a nasty electric shock in the other. Believe it or not, the night crawlers could be conditioned into turning to the rewards side with the ringing of a buzzer. Anyway the smart ones could be taught - the dumb ones became catfish bait. Swampy and Larry would probably have been sleeping with the fishes...

I really wouldn't want to shoot against that Perry rifle with anything! But I would certainly like to watch you shoot it.

Johnny $

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is that a false muzzle utilizing a cross patch that I'm looking at? I'd love to see one of those at work at a 40 rod match. It would be like going back 120 years.

Whatever it is, the village dingleberry will weigh-in directly, with an assertion that he not only has a brace of 'em, but is also reigning world champeen at whatever discipline is involved. Yep.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Now don't give this away but I'm trying to set up a match to settle this debate. On one lane there's gonna be a SUX 700 ML and a parade of pimps. On the other I'm guessing a .56 Perry w/a two piece 1300 grain Hindenburg over 200 grains of 1-1/2 FG Swiss. Older than dirt, like the driver. Ought to be a fair match, but I gotta say I hope it's windy. 40 rods, string measure.

That is a match worth the air fare to go watch!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sharps, yep, that's a cross strip false muzzle. The Perry uses one as well. The holes in the face of the muzzle are for the alignment pins. The FM you're looking at is on the .50.

Johnny $, one of my long time friends took home a PHD in psychology after a thesis on operant conditioning. I think that has something to do with Pavlov but mostly that stuff is over my head. Not even sure I spelled it right. Anyway, he's got more psych issues than Jimma's got peanuts. Me, I'm just....disturbed. Comfy with that.

Dube, I don't think so. I know some of them champions personally. They tend to flock around Friendship and more recently, Cody, WY. My .40 got abused by one of 'em this year at the NRC match by a big .50, fair and square. 32.36" for 20 shots @ 200 yards. That's string measure. In a 15-20 mph variable wind. That's a POI average of just over 1.6" from point of aim. Time rules. Them boys play for keeps.

To be clear, neither of the guns above belong to me, but the owners are always looking for an easy mark and one of 'em lives here in Florida. The other is up in Ohio. My own are just a light .50 (16#)and the .40(19#) The .40 do OK and I have some work underway on the .50, vintage 1880 w/scope. It does OK too. I'm fair certain either would make a 700ML SUX blush in public exhibition.

Last edited by DigitalDan; 07/07/11.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't want no old junk.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Dan, I have no doubts. It is amazing what those guys could do all those years ago. Makes me want to break out Roberts book again.

Tell me, with more modern metallurgy and being able to machine to closer tolerances do the newer rifles shade the old ones by much, if any, given comparable sighting equipment?

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tell me, with more modern metallurgy and being able to machine to closer tolerances do the newer rifles shade the old ones by much, if any, given comparable sighting equipment?

Tough question that. My gut says it's an even race. Most of these things, given good handling, will shoot quite well. Difference in the rifles is probably small, and the necessity to be on top of the game is large. Especially when the wind blows. Record scores run in the single digit range for 20 shot strings as I recall, many of them very, very old.

New Gun, 100 yards shot by builder

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Shot by me in absurd wind (20 mph +), 200 yards:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by DigitalDan; 07/07/11.

I am..........disturbed.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Dang! I really hope I can kill a deer with my 700ML this year..... frown

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

[Linked Image]

Wait a minute...

You mean you are supposed to shoot at that little part in the middle...????

I been doin' this ALL wrong....

Let me get back to you guys on this....

Last edited by ingwe; 07/07/11.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I know. Here's the righteous path for you. .62 caliber round ball gun, 5 shots @ 100 yards. http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=17008.0

[Linked Image]

Thinkin' there might be enough interest in this stuff for a separate thread, what ya think? RB/Picket/Slug Rifles?

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Someone will doubtless quickly infest it with his "unique" brand of participation.

Used to shoot some with a guy who collected Schuetzen rifles. Been a long time since I've seen him or any of his rifles, but recall that some were really beautiful and accurate specimens.

Once got him riled up, when I told him about an original Marlin-Ballard I'd seen. He demanded that I give him the guy's phone number. Told him it wouldn't do any good, because the guy had been offered thousands for it and wouldn't budge. To this day my bud still thinks I was just pullin' his leg about actually having seen one. ;O)

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Something along these lines?

[Linked Image]

Or maybe more like this?

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Or maybe like one of these?

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Here's that old junker Perry rifle. It has 18 lands and grooves, radius profile w/no sharp edges. Built somewhere back in the late 1800's, the original micro-groove rifling? My recollection is that it weighs 47#.

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not sure this is an original Billinghurst, but at the least a very sweet copy. The scope was built just a few years back as I understand it, but the info is a little sketchy in my memory circuits.

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Another...this one a replica of a Warner rifle.

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Page 15 of 30 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 29 30

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

183 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 338rcm, 2UP, 10Glocks, 19 invisible), 1,833 guests, and 858 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,514,980
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.