Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
When installing the Wyatt extended mag box it appears that the hole for the front screw on an adl trigger guard is milled out. If that is the case how is it possible to make and adl Remington 700 short action using the extended box? Or is it even possible? Thanks

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The Wyatt boxes are designed for the BDL/CDL. If you want to use one in an ADL, you will have to figure out how to keep the box up in the action. I can tell you that I rebarreled an ADL that Kevin Wyatt had built and added one of his extended mag boxes to. He had simply used a dab of bedding compound to glue it in place. Looked like Devcon steel. Hope that helps.

"If it wasn't for the pu**y and the prestige.....nobody would want to be a gunsmith."
MColeman
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I usually bed in an Aluminum bushing whick is tapped for a machine screw to hold the front of the trigger guard.

NRA Life Patron Member Benefactor Level
USN/USMC Vietnam Vet 1969-70
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The rifle orwapitihunter is talking about was mine. I've had Kevin Wyatt do quite a bit of work for me over the last 15 years.

What I found is that the extended mag box was a hair too tall for BDL/CDL use, but maybe that was because I was using a McMillan hunter's edge stock when I had it in BDL form. If the sheet metal is too tall, then instead of the stock screws pulling the barreled action into the stock, they're bending the action using the sheet metal as a fulcrum and you never do get good contact between stock and action ... accuracy generally suffers.

With a BDL/CDL, assemble the rifle, torque the action screws, then open the bolt and floorplate. Stick your fingers in the mag well and see if you can get the sheet metal to move around just a teeny bit. If it'll move, fine, if not, its bound up and you'll likely have accuracy issues.

I'm not a gunsmith, I'm a spazz with a Dremel tool. Fortunately, us spazz-with-a-dremel types can't hurt things too much if we just trim sheet metal. smile

For ADL use, instead of being too tall, the sheet metal is too short.

Before doing anything, I'd discussed the problem I had with Kevin Wyatt. I'm not sure that what I ran into is a problem with all ADLs, could just be the LVSF stocks. In any event, the sheet metal with slide down in the mag well just enough the bolt face wouldn't pick up cartridges from the magazine. What Kevin suggested was to epoxy shims into the bottom of the stock until I'd built up a block tall enough to push the magazine up close, but not snug (see above, BDL/CDL situation). The idea of gluing the sheet metal to the action (that was Acraglass) was my hairbrained scheme, can't blame that on Kevin.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (219DW, 1234, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 51 invisible), 2,414 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,316
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.