Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Anyone have one of these?? All the pictures I see have the magazine extending well below the stock. Is this really the case? Am specifically looking at one in 221 Fireball, but wondering about all. Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep most do. Have one in 221 FB love it and really like the set trigger. There is a new model out this year that has a 3 round magazine which is flush called the M -1. Don't think its in 221 yet.

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/by-category/centerfire-micro/

Last edited by Prwlr; 07/15/11.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great shooters with excellent triggers, but I cannot abide the bassackwards safety. Some are OK with it and love thier little CZ's.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I had a couple of the CZ 527's in 22 Hornet and 17 Remington.

The Hornet was a nice accurate shooting gun, the 17 Rem didn't shoot worth a crap. Wood & metal fit & finish was pretty good, the trigger is adjustable but a PIA to do it. The safey operates backwards and protruding magazine leaves much to be desired.

Overall they were OK but noting to rave about. I parted with both of mine.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have one in .223 and it's my favorite rifle. It's consistently accurate with many different bullets. I don't mind the safety or the magazine.

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The single stack magazine is one of my favorite parts, actually. It is the same set up as is in my much beloved Sako Riihimaki 222. They work great and look good, to my eye anyway. It is just the danged SAFETY that torques me off.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
+1. I have seven of them in various calibers. Adjusted every trigger myself and I'm no gunsmith. Never had one that didn't shoot under an inch, most .5-.750 off the bench at 100 yds. The mag hanging down makes a great finger hook for even easier carrying. Since every gun is different, I always re-familiarize myself with that gun before I go out anyway. One of the best carrying rifles in it's price range.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've got three of them, a .22 Hornet, a .221 Fireball, and a .204. All of them work well, shoot great, and are handy to carry, magazine notwithstanding. It doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Of the three 527s I have, the Fireball is the best shooter, by far. Don't let the safety throw you, it can be learned.
For several generations, people used a levergun to hunt with, and had to cock the hammer to do so. The CZ safety is the same principle, pull it back to shoot. Simple as that.

Folks fuss about the strangest things!

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've got the Predator version of the 527, full camo with a flush mount 3 round mag. Just plain love the rifle. They make a version of the walnut stocked 527 called the M1 American, has the 3 round flush mag but will also take the extended mags as well. To my knowledge, they're only available in 223. Nice rifles for the money, you won't be sorry.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Rock chucks are losing chunks from my .204 527 - what a neat little rifle... Accurate and easy to carry. I haven't fumbled with the safety yet, but I'm sure somewhere along the line, I will.

Guy

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Funny thing is that the CZ550 safety works the same direction as the Remington 700....Go figure.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a hornet and a 204 527 and I would definetly consider them go-to rifles. Accurate, great triggers, and reliable. T.S.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I had a .221; very nice and a good shooter. Sold it for a Cooper in that cal. for more barrel dia./length. The 527 safety was annoying but not a deal-breaker.
FWIW: was trying in vain to buy the American-made new Savage 25 Walking Varminter (in .22 Hornet.), but after a year of advertising, there are still none to be seen on dealer shelves. Guess I'm gonna pop for the C-Z "American" now in that cal; see the irony here? Maybe Savage is waiting for the 2012 election, thinking they can shake down taxpayers for some more loopholes and breaks, or are planning to move to Red China, before they make any Model 25s. I'm done with them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Am thinking of one in 222 Rem mostly for target and occasional varmint. If I am not going to shoot extended periods of multiple rounds are there any accuracy benefits of the heavier varmint rifle? I am thinking I might really like the light weight standard model better. Anyone have a varminter and can offer comparisons?

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
the cz 527 was the absolute worst gun experience ive ever had. i wouldnt reccomend one to an enemy.

on my birthday in april 09 i decided to treat myself to a new rifle. im a lefty and i had decided it would be a savage classic or a cz 527 in 223.
i went to bobs army and navy in clearfield pa to buy the gun.
the savage would have to have been ordered but the cz was in stock. so i bought the cz.
scope mount came with the gun and i had a leupold scope for it.
took it home and took it out of the wood for cleaning.
it wouldnt go back in the stock without the barrel rubbing on one side. i tried about 3 or 4 times. called the store and took it back. they couldnt do it either. they gave me another gun after new paperwork.
took that one home and same thing happened.
this time i thouraly examined the gun stock.
down in the corners of the recoil lug area were little beads of epoxy on either side. obviously intended to line the barrel up in the stock channel.
problem is when you reinstall the barreled action in the stock it damages them. its a real cheesy setup for a fairly expensive gun.
so i took a small screwdriver and removed the 2 small beads.
i took 4 different loads out for testing and best was about 2" at 100yds.
i then had the action glass bedded in the stock.
after many more rounds 1 1/4" was best i had. totaly unexceptable especially for a 223.
i called the cz headquaters in kansas city kansas and they said send it back.
i did at my expence. i got a card saying they received it but dont call us we'll call you.
i was fully expecting they would rebarrel the gun.
after about a month they hadent called so i called them.
i was told a tech. hadnt shot the gun yet. 2 weeks later i was told the gun didnt perform well in testing.
they sent me a new gun but i insisted on the original stock i had paid to have glass bedded.
well guess what, the second gun wouldnt shoot any better than the first.
i called again and told them i wanted my money back.
they refused that but did ask i return the gun.
this time they sent me a prepaid label for shipping. they also said they would expedite it faster this time.
after 2 weeks i called and was told the gun had performed poorly. again i asked for a refund again they refused. they offered yet another gun.
i said ill accept that only if you shoot it before sending it. they agreed. in a week i called and was told that one performed poorly also.
this time they agreed to a refund of my sales price provided i send a copy of the invoice. i made a copy and sent it to them. they refused to refund the 6% pa sales tax or my original shipping cost. i also lost the cost of the glass bedding.
the whole thing took over 4 months from the day i originaly bought the gun.
so i would strongly advise staying away from cz.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I gotta say, youbuck, that over the years I've been interested in the CZs, yours is the worst story about them I've ever read. I know a LOT of people using them, and most, if not all, have nothing but good things to say about them.

They DO require a different mindset when shooting them, because they're lightweight and handy, they require a firm hand off the bench. And, most of us do our own glassbedding, if needed, because it's so easy to do, as is centering the barrel in the channel, if need be (only needed to do it to one of my three).

Maybe you and the CZ just weren't meant to get along, mine have been excellent, and that's pretty much the case with the other guys I know who own them. Or, maybe you're just not "handy"?

My .204 American bore down on the left side of the barrel channel quite a bit, and it took some chiseling out of the recoil lug area and glassbedding it, to get it centered up in the barrel channel. No big deal, maybe an hour of work and a day to let the epoxy to set up, and it turned into a pretty good little rifle. Nothing I haven't had to do with ANY other brand of rifle, period.

I think you're too hard on 'em.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Am thinking of one in 222 Rem mostly for target and occasional varmint. If I am not going to shoot extended periods of multiple rounds are there any accuracy benefits of the heavier varmint rifle? I am thinking I might really like the light weight standard model better. Anyone have a varminter and can offer comparisons?

If you're not going PDoggin', an American will probably work fine for you. It might be a little easier to shoot well with a heavy barrel off a bench, but maybe not. Mine are all light-barrelled rifles, and none of them have given me real fits, once I learned to "hold hard" and work on my follow-thru with them, they all perked up nicely. CZ's Varminter barrels would just be heavy sporter barrels on a heavier action, they only add one pound or so to the overall weight. They just aren't real heavy pipes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
thanks guys. Wish I could hold a varminter. Yobuck....unbelievable. Yours is a very singular experience- sorry you were put through it.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A VERY singular experience. Only heard of one other bad report (but nothing like Yobuck's). Take a look at saubier.com There are hundreds of satisfied users and only one not happy that I know of.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have had a 527 Varmint Kevlar for about 5 years and have been extremely happy with it. With hand loads it will consistently shoot groups under 1/2" at 100yds. Even with cheap plinking ammo it still shoots under 1 MOA. even being a heavier weight rifle it is still not bad to carry in the field.

personally I would recommend a CZ to anyone.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I love my little CZ American in .223rem. Definitely one of the best small predator rifles around. I'd have one in every chambering if I could.

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (10gaugeman, 2500HD, 1936M71, 1minute, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 66 invisible), 2,435 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,686
Posts18,494,019
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.