Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have way too many predators around here for free ranging chickens. I am looking to build one of these.

http://www.mobilechickens.com/

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Do a search on "chicken tractors".

Have a good day man. In honor of personal freedom and the open squirrel season, I think I'll go put a hole through dinner's head.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by curdog4570
He got tired of being the stupidest critter on his homestead.Chickens won out over goldfish.grin

laugh

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Nebraska
Originally Posted by curdog4570
He got tired of being the stupidest critter on his homestead.Chickens won out over goldfish.grin

laugh

Obviously, white turkeys were not allowed in the competition.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have seen a chicken or two in my life. We are looking to get more right now. We are down to around sixty. We sell to our local food Coop for $4.30 a dozen and they want as many as we will give them.

our chicken coop is an old horse trailer converted to roosts and nesting boxes. We move it around out pasture with the sheep and llamas. The har true free range having around ten acres to roam. It works out well as we feed about 1/4 of the recommended feed per bird for a caged operation and the forage for the rest.

The llamas keep the coyotes away so about all we have to worry about is the darned eagles.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Maintaining a small flock of free range (pastured) chickens really makes economic sense if you have a half acre or more of available pasture. They're a heck of a lot easier to keep than most probably suspect, and not only pay for themselves, but then some.

I started in the early spring. Initial investment setting up (including the price for the eight hens, one lost to a hawk) was about $1500.00 all told (you can start up a lot cheaper, of course). I save on the price of eggs that I normally consume (which is about seven and a half dozen per month), then take in an additional $30.00 per month from sale of the excess eggs. That $30.00 fully takes care of the cost of the organic layer feed (and other expenses) which supplements their feed off the three quarter acre pasture (bugs, grubs, wild greens, etc.), which pasture they're on from dawn till dusk (Naturally, the house sits on the acre too, so I subtracted the space taken up by it as non-pasture). Considering what I save on my own eggs consumed, they'll pay me back for the start up cost in four years (see PS).

Then there's the factor of superior eggs, far superior nutritionally to anything available at the grocery store. Even those eggs labelled "free range" there don't come close. All that's required for that grocery store label is that those chickens have access to a small plot of grass for an hour or two a day. The rest of the time they're kept enclosed, even if not caged. Yard hens, in contrast, are free to roam your property (mine's pesticide free for seven years now) searching for their own natural foods, all packed with the best nutrition a hen could possibly get (which goes right into the eggs), from dawn till dusk.

PS Factoring in the fact that in the winter they will probably stop laying till spring (which comes early here), this pushes back the time it will take for them to pay for their own start up cost a bit, so let's call it (for me) five years instead of four. During that time (here in northern Florida, it shouldn't be a long period of time, I wouldn't think), the economics of the operation dips into the red for a bit. But since most of the year it's in the black, this is no drawback in the big picture. It's an operation that more than pays for itself. Additionally, you get to look out your windows and see chickens happily wandering around, which does a heart good all by itself.

[Linked Image]

TRH,

We've been keeping them for about 15 years, ducks before that. They are wonderful birds (minus the occasional ornery rooster- see below).

A couple comments. You got "broody" to look forwards to, as well as the late fall molt. In both cases they can shut down the eggs for a while. That's here; perhaps it's different in Florida. So, factor that in.

Next is predators. If you are letting them free range you will, in time, get predators that figure out how to start picking them off. The problem, you see, is that they are made of chicken. smile EVERYTHING likes chicken. We typically lose a bird or two a year, which is OK, but this year we've had the Predator From Hell who took out 7 birds in about a month. Some from right in our driveway! Anyway point being dont be thinking of your flick as a fixed entity; you will lose birds. We've found 6-8 good hens to be a good working number for reliably providing enough eggs most of the year. That means we usually aim higher- we've got 7 little ones coming up right now to add to our 4 remaining older hens- because attrition takes it's toll.

BTW for the first time we've been forced to pen ours in a new pen we just built about 30'x40'. It was the only way.

Roosters. Unless you buy sex-links you'll get the occasional rooster-boy. Roosters are usually a PITA. I shoot them in the head with a .22, pluck a few chest feathers, pull back the skin and fillet off the still-twitching breast meat <g>. Then pull the skin over the legs and thighs and remove at the hip joint. This is way WAY more better than plucking and gutting (god I hate bird guts) and yields about 85% of the meat. Just a thought. Maybe you like bird guts....

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rost495
7.5 dozen eggs a month is a LOT of cholesterol....
That's outdated dietary science, my friend, especially as applied to truly free rang pastured hens' eggs. It's been decades since they've discovered the fallacy in the egg restricted diet. As it turns out, cholesterol in foods you consume doesn't end up in your blood, and has zero adverse effect on your health. It's only the cholesterol that your body produces that can do that, and even then it's only a problem if you're on a poor diet otherwise, e.g., one high is refined and starchy foods.

Additionally eggs from free range, pastured, hens are loaded with omega 3 fatty acids, which is a huge boon to good health.

I won't argue, as I always say I learn something every day, the campfire is amazing too! But since you seem educated in it, and I was imersed in it from the late 70s when Dad had his first heart attack until he died in 2005....do you have a link there? I know when he quit eating eggs his cholesterol numbers went down and we probalby eat 2 eggs every 2 months here at home and my numbers have been fine, not nearly what his were at one point.... Maybe I can eat more eggs...

Won't work to have chickens with the hawks though... until I could build an enclosed cage on the farm basically...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Monkey Joe, I'll have to get the books out, but I think they were just vague about it being bad for the respiratory system.

Regarding predators, my neighbors and I lose very few chickens to them. Those that live closest to the county road lose the most, as it's likely that the foxes, coons and coyotes move up and down those mostly. Those of us who live a few hundred yards (half mile in my case) off the road see almost no predators. Yes, we'll see coyotes cross the wheat fields and alfalfa every once in a while, but the foxes rarely come up here, or so I used to think.

The four losses I had last year out of 17 hens were: 1 to the landlord's dog when we first starting free ranging the birds. She has been good since. 1 to a horse boarder's dog. 2 to foxes on nights that we forgot to shut the chicken coop up or closed it several hours after dark when they already came by to check on the chickens. No losses since about December.

Regarding hawks, the telephone poles are down at the county road, so we get very few up on our hill. Only once did I think one was even thinking about a chicken, but with three dogs running around and lots of constant activity by humans, none have been bold enough yet.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Prior to the 1950s, chicken meat was considered a rare delicacy, and there were no real meat specialty birds.

Not even Cornish Game Hens?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by amax155
I have way too many predators around here for free ranging chickens. I am looking to build one of these.

http://www.mobilechickens.com/
That will work. You can move it around on a daily basis.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Exbio, our property is carved out of the jungle; the predators can kind of infiltrate on in close. Think 4-foot-high ferns, for instance.

Coons are the big one. We did lose 4 birds in about 5 minutes to a little dog from down the street. He'd kill one, move on to the next, very efficient. But mostly coons.

I've had a live trap out in the woods and a pretty amazing story about it but I'm hesitant to tell it here... Not sure what the poo-flinging monkey contingent would do with it. If I post the story/pics it'll be called "bloodbath". smile

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We have a small chicken tractor for our birds post-chick but pre-chicken, if that makes sense. They do work. The lawn gets MOWED under it!

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Good point about the dust and another caution is the possibility of developing an allergy to them. I was raised around birds (chickens, pigeons)but developed an allergy to their feather protein when I was in my 20s. Bad enough to end up with pneumonia and miss 6 weeks of work. Net result was no more birds for me ever again.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One time when we had our farm I decided I was going to cook one of the hens for dinner that night. I went out to the tool shed and got the limb cutter for small tree limbs and decided it would work great beheading the chicken. Held the chicken down and closed the cutter around her neck and when I released it I had one pissed off chicken as it slipped between the neck vertebrates and just made her mad. Caught her again, this time had a good butcher knife in hand and beheaded the little grump. Some chickens have no sense of humor.

Sassy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I imagine I'd be pissed if I survived a beheading too.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Prior to the 1950s, chicken meat was considered a rare delicacy, and there were no real meat specialty birds.

Not even Cornish Game Hens?
Aren't they just baby meat birds?

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
23 (for now) in a 12'x7' pen that I roll to a different spot in the yard every day.
-14 (6 TTs and 8 Barred Rocks) are probably a month from laying.
-7 that are about a year old (3 Barred Rocks, 2 Gold Lace Wyandottes, and 2 Polish) that average 5-6 eggs/day.
-2 Barred Rock roos that came with the other young ones. They're gonna get eaten when they start making more noise than I feel like listening to.

Once all 21 girls are grown, I'm probably going to give away a few - shooting for maybe 16-18 total to give about a dozen eggs a day.

The pen is an arch structure (bent PVC with wire and shade-cloth) on wheels, with about 2" clearance under it so it rolls easily. It's about 8' at the apogee, so tall enough that I can walk around in it easily. The egg boxes are on one end, so the kids can get them out without going in and having to change shoes.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
We put a light in the chicken house, on a timer. The cheap timers for lamps do fine. Adjust as the season changes so you keep about 12 hours of light in the house over the winter, and you'll have eggs all the time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No those are an old meat breed that are the basis for half the genetic input of our modern day meat birds. Those are primarily Cornish Game and Plymouth Rock hybrids.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Chickens are better that most pets which are worthless.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1Longbow, 160user, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 57 invisible), 2,472 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,185
Posts18,484,820
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.