Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hey guys,

Hoping to get some info on Ruger's barrel contours in the No.1. I have a 1-H and a 1-A but am wondering about the dimensions of the 1-S and the RSI at the muzzle and at 20" from the breech. If any of you guys have one of these and can mike it and let me know, I'd appreciate it. I'm starting to think of a rebarrel on my No.1.

Grasshopper, I know you've got a bunch of No.1s and experience so chime in if you can!

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
20" from face of the breechblock, a pair of 1-s both came in at at a touch over .700

barrel diameter of my RSI at the crown was a tad touchier to measure, didnt pull it from the stock, and the front sight/barrel band is right up in the way, but it appears to be around .580...

what caliber 1-h do you have, and what did it measure?

and, just because i am nosy.....you thinking about a rebore? grin

Last edited by FyrepowrX; 07/15/11.

============================================================

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
mojohand,

Of all the #1's I've owned, I have never owned an RSI. Mostly because the 1st one I ever handled, I thought was barrel heavy, and I don't recall ever handling another. I've just always shunned them. Thus; I don't know for sure which weight barrel they use.

That said, I've always THOUGHT they used the "A" weight barrel. So just for S&Gs, I dug out an 1-A take-off barrel that I have and measured it @ 20". I came up with .583", which pretty well co-incides with what FyrepowerX came up with on his. Thus, if you put a .366 hole in the end of it, it makes the walls pretty thin. Personally, I think it can be done, it just requires someone with determination to do it.

My initial thought is to use a "B" weight barrel, and just turn down the muzzle enough to swage on the front sight barrel-band. Likely Ruger wouldn't do it, but one would think that SOMEWHERE there is a Custom Gunsmith who is a progressive enough thinker to accomplish the task... smile

I've kind of been keeping my eye peeled for a reasonably priced RSI with the thought of doing it myself, just to prove that it's possible. But in all reality, I already have a #1-B in 9.3x62, and two #1's in 9.3x74R, so I really have no need to... smile But still, if I wanted one badly enough, I'd do it!

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Fyre,

Thanks for the info and could you get me the diameter at the muzzle of the 1-S? My 1H in .375 Holly mikes .750" at the muzzle.

Here's my deal...I got a 1A in .35 Whelen. An awesome and cool cartridge with lots of panache to go with the No.1. However, now that I've had it a while I'm really thinking it is a little too light in the barrel contour. If I hold it right in front of the trigger guard (as I would in hunting) it is noticeably butt heavy (it's got a lot of muzzle jump as well). While the rifle is very trim I think Lipsey's would have been better served putting it in a 1-S contour. I prefer a little muzzle heavy balance as oppsed to the opposite. While my .375 is noticeably heavier, it actually balances better than the 1A.

Here's the rub. I can never find No.1's in stock to handle. As I mentioned, I have a 1H in .375 H&H and the 1A. I have handled other 1H's and 1V's but, oddly, have never had a chance to feel a 1S or a RSI. So I am trying to get an idea of how the 1S stacks up to my 1A.

I am debating going to a 9.3. The question is, do I rebarrel my 1A Whelen to the equivalent of a 1S (or a tad heavier) or do I say 'screw it' and trade it for a 1S in 9.3x74. I was debating making the Whelen into a 9.3x62 due to plentiful, cheap bullets and brass. If I had it rebarreled, I might even go for a slightly shorter barrel (say 20") and put a peep sight on it. If I went the rebarrel route I would try to have it look as 'factory' as possible with barrel band and front sight band attached along with the quarter rib (of course, extra work with a different contour).

I've never had work like that done so perhaps my cost would end up being prohibitive vis a vis just getting a 1S in 9.3x74. Not quite as unique but still pretty dang cool (I do like that long rimmed case!).

If it was in the budget, I would just flat out buy a new 9.3x74 but with things they way they are the Whelen will probably have to go (which pains me a little). Not to mention, I also NEED a RSI in 7x57 here soon, as well! crazy

Oh well, maybe this is all crazy talk and I should just live with the Whelen, but i can't help but think a heavier barrel would make that rifle about perfect.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
mojohand,

It's too bad you don't live somewhere near me, I'd be more that happy to let you shoot my 1-B (with "B" weight barrel) in 9.3x62. Mine is cut to 23 5/8".

FYI: the 1-B and 1-S both share the "B" weight barrel @ 26". Only difference is the "B" has a clean barrel and Beavertail fore-end, and the 1-S has iron sights, barrel band sling swivel, and the AH fore-end.

In all honesty, I'd like to see Ruger make the 1-S in 9.3x62 w/24" barrel. I'd think that would be a well-balanced, very handy rifle. And I'm thinking that it COULD happen, now that they are chambering the 9.3x62 in the M-77... (Holding my breath here...) smile

Were I, you... I'd have a hard time getting rid of something as unique as the Whelen that you have now, just for something with a bit more panache... blush (Which is how I ended up with a fairly eclectic collection of discontinued/ltd production rifles... ) smile I just hate to sell something that I know I'll never be able to replace if I change my mind... blush

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
my thought....since you dont like the whippiness of a 1A whelen, i'm guessing you would like the balance of the 1-s...and with the 9.3x74 available as a factory offering, i think i'd go that route over a rebore to a gun that already doesnt balace well for you.

as for a rebarrel of the whelen...i'd vote no. find a good buy on the 9.3x74, snag it...if you like it, sell the whelen, and you have less loot tied up in the project that you would by going the custom route.

If by chance you dont like either, keep the best looking one for the build of your dreams, and rebarrel it any way you want.

============================================================

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
GH,

Point well taken. They did only make 500 so perhaps it is wise to hang onto the 'ole Colonel. Normally, I'm not a collector. I prefer to use my stuff a lot and having rifles that are too similar doesn't make much sense to me. HOWEVER, when it comes to No.1s those rules probably don't apply, right?! smile

I suppose I could be forced into waiting and saving to buy another No.1 in 9.3 (either one--maybe Ruger WILL put out a 1S in 9.3x62). Although I'd probably prefer the 22" barrel and I definitely like the S model with the front sight band and barrel band.

Given your admitted track record, please have a custom 1S made for yourself in 9.3x62 with the 22" (or 24") barrel. That will ensure that Ruger will come out with a factory model posthaste! grin

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by MojoHand
GH,

Given your admitted track record, please have a custom 1S made for yourself in 9.3x62 with the 22" (or 24") barrel. That will ensure that Ruger will come out with a factory model posthaste! grin

Well, by my twisted logic.... Ruger CAN'T come out with a 1-B, as they have discontinued them...(the 1-B's, that is... ) So it would HAVE to be a 1-S. smile

In all honesty, due to the expansion ratio of the case, I would doubt there would be more than 50 f.p.s. difference between the 22" and 24"... smile

While it is impossible to 2nd guess the decision-makers at Ruger, I have to wonder that even tho' the 1-S has languished in sales for many years, they seem to be getting more popular... Perhaps that's why they discontinued the 1-B... shocked
However, tho' it may take 5-10 years, I'm thinking that we will see the re-intorduction of the 1-B... (And no, I have no inside info - just a hunch)

AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MohoHand - How does your 1A 35 Whelen shoot. Mine gouups very well, but I'm getting some primer set back with fl sized cases and with factory new unfired unsized cases... I was wondering if you were having any similar issues with yours? If I neck size a fired case with the Lee Collet die, it seems to clears up.

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
AJD,

Mine shoots very well, too. Another reason for keeping her, duh! In fact, I think I have gotten MOA or better with every bullet I've tried in her (with proper tailoring, of course) provided the nut behind the trigger is properly tightened. laugh

I haven't had any primer issues with mine either with virgin or reloaded brass. I don't have a collet die set for the Whelen yet (really need to have Lee make me some soon) but I set my FL dies to just resize the neck. I can always adjust them later to barely bump the shoulder if needed.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I would contact McGowen, I hear they do great work on #1s & #3s

http://www.mcgowenbarrel.com/

Swifty

Swifty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Swifty52
I would contact McGowen, I hear they do great work on #1s & #3s

http://www.mcgowenbarrel.com/

Swifty
But you have no actual experience with McGowen, do you? Great recommendation.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

649 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 82 invisible), 2,667 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,478
Posts18,471,669
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.