Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I have a few rifles with 26" bbls and have always felt that they look nice and have a nice "balance" to them. Im thinking of barreling a pre 64 model 70 action with a .270 barrel and was considering 26". Is there any reason this would be a bad idea?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you like the balance with the 26" barrel then by all means get one.
Not a single thing wrong with the extra velocity you'll get.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If the gun is an open country gun, then I see nothing wrong with long barrels. I have no desire to hunt timber with a long ass gun though. My 338 has a 24" barrel, and I am probably going to have it whacked to 21-22" just for hunting timber/aspens.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like long barrels. Currently running 26 inch with .570 muzzle and a 27.5 inch with .620 muzzle

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pharmvet
Is there any reason this would be a bad idea?

No, not if you like them. The 270 actually has an expansion ratio that fits neatly into the middle of the cartridges that have traditionally been called magnums, so it won't hurt a thing as long as you don't mind - even like- the extra length.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
If the gun is an open country gun, then I see nothing wrong with long barrels. I have no desire to hunt timber with a long ass gun though. My 338 has a 24" barrel, and I am probably going to have it whacked to 21-22" just for hunting timber/aspens.
.............Exactly correct imo. Longer barrels have their (a better) place in far more wide open country as do the shorter barrels in bush and timber country.

Many prefer longer barrels 100% of the time. Aside from a little more bullet speed, better balance etc as they say. Ok then!

How many times has anyone with a longer barreled and better balanced rifle took a kill shot totally by freehand at their game without using either shooting sticks or resting their rifle on or against something? I`ll say hardly at all if ever.

So in just about all hunting cases imo, rifle balance or muzzle stability does not apply unless the rifle is used in a freehand manner. Against a tree, on a backpack, or on sticks, both my more compact and shorter barreled Rugers balance and stabilize equally as well as my 28" barreled Weatherby MK5.

So if someone feels that they prefer the longer barrel to "include" the advantage of better balance, then I hope they`re doing alot of freehand shooting. Otherwise imo, there are no issues with better balance or muzzle stability.

From a 270 and aside from a little velocity loss, there is no ("make or break") advantage that a 26" barrel would have over a 24" or even a 22" barrel.

As to the whys and why nots? There are no rights and there are no wrongs. It all boils down to judgement and individual preference.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze

How many times has anyone with a longer barreled and better balanced rifle took a kill shot totally by freehand at their game without using either shooting sticks or resting their rifle on or against something? I`ll say hardly at all if ever.

I've killed game off my hind legs many times with the only support being my bones.
Although I prefer not to shoot at running game it is almost a rite of passage in NE MN and NW WI. Deer drives being a preferred method of the old timers.
Not everyone hunts from a stand or blind all the time.

I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Speak for yourself.

Last edited by exbiologist; 07/25/11.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by nsaqam

I've killed game off my hind legs many times with the only support being my bones.
Although I prefer not to shoot at running game it is almost a rite of passage in NE MN and NW WI. Deer drives being a preferred method of the old timers.
.............That`s you maybe. But in most situations, that is not the case.

Many if not all, use shooting sticks and/or a rest of some kind, when "NOT" hunting from a blind or stand?? Are shooting sticks or rests restricted to only stands and blinds?............Nope!

Oh! So you support your rifles on your "hind" legs? Do you happen to have a set of front legs too?.. laugh laugh laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Every deer that I've ever killed has been moving. Most have been running. We take off hand shots all the time. IMO a 24" barrel is more than enough and my .270 has a 22" barrel. But hey, it's your rifle.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
IC B3

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I like the looks and feel of a short(er) barreled rifle. But, when it comes to shooting them, extra weight out in front helps my shooting. Which, BTW, is often done from a sitting position.
For the above reasons, most of my hunting rifles have 24 inch barrels and .600 muzzles.
I've never found a short barrel rifle to make any difference in heavy cover. E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Many if not all, use shooting sticks and/or a rest of some kind, when "NOT" hunting from a blind or stand?? Are shooting sticks or rests restricted to only stands and blinds?............Nope!

Oh! So you support your rifles on your "hind" legs? Do you happen to have a set of front legs too?.. laugh laugh laugh

Read both above and below this post of yours Squeeze.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Eremicus
I like the looks and feel of a short(er) barreled rifle. But, when it comes to shooting them, extra weight out in front helps my shooting. Which, BTW, is often done from a sitting position.
For the above reasons, most of my hunting rifles have 24 inch barrels and .600 muzzles.
I've never found a short barrel rifle to make any difference in heavy cover. E

Amen!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by exbiologist

Speak for yourself.
...........I did, as well as years of personal field experience and watching others too.

Disagree or not, I also notice that your three worded reply of "speak for yourself" shows quite alot of elaboration on your part.....Well done!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Possibly because you make claims like "many if not all" when that is clearly not the case.
What more elaboration do you require?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Read both above and below this post of yours Squeeze.
.........Ok! Help me out here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Two other posters called bull on your claim that "many if not all" hunters use a rest when they shoot.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The only place I have found a shorter barrel to have an advantage is in an enclosed box stand/blind. I have an 18.5" bbl Ruger International in .308 that I like for hunting from the stands at our club. The stands measure about 4'x4' with posts floor to ceiling at all 4 corners.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Possibly because you make claims like "many if not all" when that is clearly not the case.
What more elaboration do you require?
....Well, I`ll have to disagree right on back to ya then.

To be more explicit if perhaps by chance I wasn`t clear before. Freehand means imo, that only the palm of your hand is supporting your rifle`s fore-end when taking the shot. I`m NOT talking about your non-trigger hand being supported "underneath" by either your legs, hind legs, knee bones, leg bones, or supported by anything else or when leaned against something else.

In that regard, longer barrels do have their advantage when it comes to better balancing and muzzle stability, but NOT when the rifle is resting ON or AGAINST something, which includes bodily extremities such as legs, knees, etc.

So you`re gonna tell me, that a good portion of hunters use NO support whatsoever underneath their NON-TRIGGER" hand for their kill shots? I`ll certainly disagree there. Because that is what I`m referring to, where only in those shooting cases, longer barrels do have the advantage when there is NO support underneath the non-trigger hand.

Otherwise, there is no longer barreled advantage when it comes to balance and stability.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Two other posters called bull on your claim that "many if not all" hunters use a rest when they shoot.
............See my last post above. And I`ll state "bull" right on back.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,444
Posts18,470,916
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.